IGNORED

Another World (aka Out of this World) survey

SebRmv

I will let Zerosquare answer. But you must know two things, there are 2 big hardware project on Jagware :

This flash cart called 'Jagtopus' and the JagCF who allows to use CF card for games and got a lot of very nice 'adds-on' like a new powerfull DSP (Usb ports, extra ram, network, etc....).

SCPCD and Zerosquare work on this two projects they are the 2 hardware experts on Jagware, that's why i will let them talk about this two great projects.

GT Turbo :)

Well, you did clear up a bit of confusion for me, like now I know SCPCD is a person and not the name of the flashcart. Second, It's cool that there is a flashcart and a seperate JagCF upgrade project. So I'm to assume that the Another World release is seperate from both of those and will just be a standard cartridge?

Edited by Gunstar

Now, don't bite my head off, I don't own a JAG, at least not yet, but I have played Another World/Out of this world and completed it on a few platforms form AMIGA to GENESIS and it definitely is a great game but I got to admit I am kinda stunned how hyped everyone seems to be for this, I mean I could understand a completely original title in the style of Another World but am I missing something? Is it just about being able to play this title on the Jag? Are people just so starved and desperate for new Jag titles they would jump on anything? Again, no offense intended, I loved the original but I guess I a missing something when it comes to all the excitement......

Now, don't bite my head off, I don't own a JAG, at least not yet, but I have played Another World/Out of this world and completed it on a few platforms form AMIGA to GENESIS and it definitely is a great game but I got to admit I am kinda stunned how hyped everyone seems to be for this, I mean I could understand a completely original title in the style of Another World but am I missing something? Is it just about being able to play this title on the Jag? Are people just so starved and desperate for new Jag titles they would jump on anything? Again, no offense intended, I loved the original but I guess I a missing something when it comes to all the excitement......

For some, possibly, but there are some of us who never played any version (we haven't all played every game ever released you know), like me, and why not get excited about playing a superior version based on the updated graphics of a revamped version? I get to play it for the first time, with the best graphics ever done for this particlular game, so why not get excited?

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

Why anyone would be asking this question on a retro gaming forum of all places is beyond me. But, to answer it...because we can. :)

• Like 6

Why anyone would be asking this question on a retro gaming forum of all places is beyond me. But, to answer it...because we can. :)

Well that is why I put it as tactfully and politely as I could, I thought I was pretty clear as to why as I was asking, I "Get" it mostly, as I said I have played and finished it several times myself on different platforms and I get it certainly for anyone who has never played any version (@GUNSTAR no I don't expect you have played everything) as I said I guess I just didn't expect quite this level of excitement or anticipation since Another world has been a pretty well known and popular title available for so long. OK, no problem, forget I asked, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Thanks for the answer.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

I will let Zerosquare answer. But you must know two things, there are 2 big hardware project on Jagware :

This flash cart called 'Jagtopus' and the JagCF who allows to use CF card for games and got a lot of very nice 'adds-on' like a new powerfull DSP (Usb ports, extra ram, network, etc....).

SCPCD and Zerosquare work on this two projects they are the 2 hardware experts on Jagware, that's why i will let them talk about this two great projects.

GT Turbo :)

Well, you did clear up a bit of confusion for me, like now I know SCPCD is a person and not the name of the flashcart. Second, It's cool that there is a flashcart and a seperate JagCF upgrade project. So I'm to assume that the Another World release is seperate from both of those and will just be a standard cartridge?

Jagcf photos :

http://www.jagware.o...indpost&p=10862

All abouts 'Jagtopus' here :

http://www.jagware.o...p?showtopic=841

The cartridges used for Out of this world will be Jagtopus one (Yes flashcart) why ? Because it was the cheapest solution at this time.

Zerosquare explained very nice this thing :

The whole point is price and availability. The standard blank PCBs need special EPROMs chips that are expensive and hard to find, whereas this new cartridge uses modern parts that are cheap and readily available. Since Flash memory chips (which can be rewritten many times) are now cheaper than EPROMs, we thought we might as well make it reprogrammable.

This flashcart are running in backstage on Jagware some months ago (Only developers got it for doing tests).

GT Doing a Poulpy dance with SH3 !!! :)

• Like 2

Are people just so starved and desperate for new Jag titles they would jump on anything?

To try answering your question:

First, many Jaguar fans don't necessarely own other systems and OOTW so that makes sense for them to play this game elsewhere than on emulator with pirated roms.

Second point: coding the Jag is a hard challenge so seing a release of that quality is simply incredible for this almost vintage and unsuccessfull system: even if I already played OOTW on PC and on Apple II GS I will definitively purchase the Jag version just because it seems to be a state of the art.

Third point: just for your info, Reboot, Dr Typo, Jagware group and others are releasing new games: this year we already got those new titles: Shoot'em up, Tube, HMS Raptor, Kobayashi Maru, Degz, Dance Dance Xirius, Black Hole and Black Out has just been release last week. Moreover, we already know that some projects are on the pipe: Elansar is a very promising kinda of Myst like, Rebooteroids is shedulded for late 2012/early 2013, Impulse X seems to be close to be released etc... Hard to feel desperate by lack of new games on Jaguar :)

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 1

Hmm.. I found some interresting info on JagCF here: http://www.jagcf.org/

:grin:

Yes, this is our 'old' site about JagCF. Not finished, not released :) A lot of things have changed so don't take care about it.

GT

I realized that. It's just the first time i saw it and found the latin?? funny. Eventhough it's old it's still an interresting read wether it's still up to date, correct etc. or not.

Are people just so starved and desperate for new Jag titles they would jump on anything?

First, many Jaguar fans don't necessarely own other systems and OOTW so that makes sense for them to play this game elsewhere than on emulator with pirated roms.

Second point: coding the Jag is a hard challenge so seing a release of that quality is simply incredible for this almost vintage and unsuccessfull system: even if I already played OOTW on PC and on Apple II GS I will definitively purchase the Jag version just because it seems to be a state of the art.

Third point: just for your info, Reboot, Dr Typo, Jagware group and others are releasing new games: this year we already got those new titles: Shoot'em up, Tube, HMS Raptor, Kobayashi Maru, Degz, Dance Dance Xirius, Black Hole and Black Out has just been release last week. Moreover, we already know that some projects are on the pipe: Elansar is a very promising kinda of Myst like, Rebooteroids is shedulded for late 2012/early 2013, Impulse X seems to be close to be released etc... Hard to feel desperate by lack of new games on Jaguar :)

I guess I missed Dance Dance Xirius and Black Hole while I was away from the scene (caught up on the rest), where can I find more about these games? Are they purchasables or more freebies? Please respond, but in the meantime I will try and locate them myself. (Elensar too)

Edited by Gunstar

I guess I missed Dance Dance Xirius and Black Hole while I was away from the scene (caught up on the rest).

I will add them very fastly to the Jagware homebrew, Dance dance Xirius was done by Matmook / Gregg and Black Hole by Fadest.

Just put a look in few hours here :

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showforum=55

GT :)

Mode out of the topic ON

Elansar is a game under dev by Orion.

elansar.jpg

You can visit its dedicated page on the Orion's site: http://onorisoft.free.fr/

Dance Dance Xirius this is an UFO in Jaguar galaxy :D

kbKl.jpg

This is the winner of the speed coding contest of the 2012 french AC.

You may findit on the Jagware forum as GT said and here as well: http://www.yaronet.c...146080&p=5#131.

Please note that there is a better version to come so consider it as a beta.

Black Hole is the winner of the same contest but in 2010.

BZXZ.jpgPSfU.jpg

You may find it here on Jagware's forum and here too: http://www.yaronet.c...l=&s=146080&p=2

And 2011 :?

The speed coding contest is open to a wide range of systems and not only for the Jaguar.

By chance the winners in 2010 and this year were games for the Jag but in 2011 it was a Tetris like for the GP32...from Orion (who is dev Elansar)

There was a game for Jag in the contest: Reactris from Linkovitch of Reboot group (you will find it as well on the same yaronet topic but here: http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?sl=&s=146080&p=1

Like DDXSP consider it as a beta.

reactr10.png

Mode Out of the topic OFF :D

Edited by Felyx

Now THIS is the type of answer I was hoping for and can appreciate ! I definitely understand it better now! Thanks very much Felyx! :thumbsup:

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer