IGNORED

mega ste and hard drive

Not sure about a turning it off. I'm sure others will reply about it.

However, in both of my Mega STe's I blamed the hdd for all the noise also.

Then I started using the SatanDisk and recently removed the internal hdd from one of them.

Turns out most of the noise comes from the power supply fan. :)

In my Mega STE it's certainly the hard drive making the most noise. The psu fan alone isn't too bad. With HDDriver it's possible to park the drive and that makes a difference. However, it takes a few moments to spin up again if need to access it and that is enough to give error messages. Just access it again and no problem, but it's a minor nuisance. An all quiet internal drive would of course be preferable.

OK. I looked into ICD utils. There is simple SW for parking hard disk - in attachment. Not exactly what I talked, but will serve. You can restart disk by reset, or with another ICD SW. Whole package - ICD Pro Driver 5.5 with utils is now freeware, and you can DL it at their site (don't ask for link, just type it :-) ) .

ICDHDPARK.ZIP

thanks,

sorry to seem to be so " ignorant ", that is whitout knowledge in France, but I don't manage to do what I want...

please tell me step by step how to use ICDHDPARK and to turn off this hd drive...

when I launch it, it requests me ICDBOOT...

I am lost........

thanks,

I report you what I've done :

1) I've loaded ICDBOOT PRG from hard disk, medium resolution desktop : ICD window appeared with some lines of informations in German, then the programme auto quitted and the desktop came back.... well well, i don't know if it normal :?

i've noticed the following words before end of programme :

ICD HOSTADAPTER NICHT GEFUNDEN :?

i think it means" icd hostadapter has not been found "

2) Then I've loaded from hard disk, HDPARK TOS.... it required me ICDBOOT......... :-o

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! please help me :(

thanks,

I report you what I've done :

1) I've loaded ICDBOOT PRG from hard disk, medium resolution desktop : ICD window appeared with some lines of informations in German, then the programme auto quitted and the desktop came back.... well well, i don't know if it normal :?

i've noticed the following words before end of programme :

ICD HOSTADAPTER NICHT GEFUNDEN :?

i think it means" icd hostadapter has not been found "

2) Then I've loaded from hard disk, HDPARK TOS.... it required me ICDBOOT......... :-o

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! please help me :(

not sure , but maybe this can help you.

http://joo.kie.sk/ultrasatan/icdpro/

Obviously it needs ICD HW and driver to work - what is made just to prevent others (who did not buy it in past) from usage.

I don't know will ICD drivers work at all with Mega STE internal adapter ? In any case I would try it.

But first must back up all relevant data from that drive in machine. Too much work ? Well, you should back up it in any case. Your drive may die any moment.

Obviously it needs ICD HW and driver to work - what is made just to prevent others (who did not buy it in past) from usage.

I don't know will ICD drivers work at all with Mega STE internal adapter ? In any case I would try it.

But first must back up all relevant data from that drive in machine. Too much work ? Well, you should back up it in any case. Your drive may die any moment.

ICD Pro drivers work very good with the Mega STe internal adapter. It lets you use had drives that the Atari AHDI driver tells you is not supported.

For example one of my Mega STe has a Quantum PD210S hdd. Atari driver says unsupported see your dealer for an udapted file or something,

ICD Pro driver uses the drive with no problems. Of course so does HDDriver.