IGNORED

KarinMaxiDrive preorder

St(r)yker

Bob, it is exactly as you say. IDE+ will skip requests for logical drives that are not configured in FDISK. So it is possible to reserve a drive, say D2: for Karin, by not assigning a HDD partition to this number. In such case D1: is a HDD partition, D2: is a FDD (Karin can be configured to map its drives to D1/D2 or D2/D3).

• Like 1

Here are some pics and info that might be helpful for someone attempting to get the IDE+2 and Karin working together.

First, the IDE+2 FDISK2 screen. Drives 1 and 5 are IDE+2 drives.

Second, the Karin (by itself) accessing a disk.

Third, in order for the combo to work, UltraSpeed SIO must be turned OFF at least on the Karin drives -- in this case, D2: and D3: (dip switch 1 DOWN) For me, with the US turned ON, the Karin drives are non-functional. (This is somewhat similar to the IDE+2 issue with APE's print-thru feature, and I remembered that issue as a clue to my problems getting the IDE+2 and Karin working together.)

-Larry

post-8008-0-52058800-1356644809_thumb.jpg

post-8008-0-05022200-1356644829_thumb.jpg

post-8008-0-90584000-1356644849_thumb.jpg

Larry, yes. Let me quote the latest IDE+ Config guide (section IX):

These control the internal high-speed SIO routines. When USpeed SIO is set to on, the IDE Plus ROM enables the UltraSpeed protocol for serial devices (including disk drives) connected externally (to the regular SIO port). Up to 16 devices (including 15 disk drives) may be handled this way. In other words, you may now use high speed SIO transfers even without patching the ROM in your Atari.

As of BIOS version 1.0, when the UltraSpeed protocol is globally enabled (with USpeed SIO: on), you may selectively disable or enable it for each of the disk drives D1:, D2:, D3: and D4: by setting the respective sub-options to on or off. When such a sub-option is set to off for a drive, any requests made to that disk drive are passed on to be handled by the operating system. This is useful when a drive you have does not like UltraSpeed requests (such as LDW or Indus GT for example), or when one of the drive identifiers is occupied by a parallel floppy drive being a separate PBI device (such as the Karin Maxi floppy drive). In that latter case, setting the US on Dx to off for the specified drive allows the parallel floppy drive x to be properly handled, while the UltraSpeed protocol remains effectively enabled for all serial devices.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Are there any more bare boards available?

I've got a complete one to sell, if you or someone else is interested. Extremely low mileage... Since (AFAIK) the firmware was never fixed to read/write to a conventional 3-1/2" floppy (from a converted XF551 or Floppy Board) it is not very useful with the 100's of 3-1/2" disks that I already have. PM if interested.

-Larry