IGNORED

KarinMaxiDrive preorder

St(r)yker

Wow zaxon, thanks for making sure any version with your contributions to the device fades into complete obscurity as something cheaper, faster, better and more importantly, available, comes along! Way to accelerate progress by being a complete douchenozzle! You deserve a medal!

Would you like a translation? I think there's some kind folks around here who could assist.

I think stryker was HARDLY making any sort of real profit off of these. Still bitter from all the butthurt over the SIDE "shipping delays" are we? LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Or is there no real way around that with as fast as the floppy controller spits out data? I'm not sure how intelligent the chip is. Not criticizing, just curious. Most things I have don't beat the disk up while running anyway.

Or is that the point of option D in the above and I'm just retarded?

Edited by kogden

• 3 weeks later...

Karin Maxi II interface short instructions

------------------------------------------

Assembly

---------------

Attach floppy drive cable to the interface and to the drives. Attach power cables to the drives.

"Drive Select" have to be hardware configured as follows: drive 1 as DS0, drive 2 as DS1.

Use the following document as a reference for populating the PCB:

http://stryker.pigwa...a_montazowa.pdf

Especially, note the proper orientation of C2, RN1, J1-LED

Configuration

---------------

Two-way toggle switch is used to switch drive 1 and 2 (drive 2 becomes one and vice versa). Use with automatic configuration (see below). Reboot may be required.

Dipswitches at the back have the following functions:

1. Karin drives recognized as: D1: and D2: or D2: and D3:

2. Configuration: automatic or manual (according to switches 3-6)

3. Manual config, drive 2 step time: 3ms or 6ms

4. Manual config, drive 1 step time: 3ms or 6ms

5. Manual config, number of tracks in drive 2: 80 or 40

6. Manual config, number of tracks in drive 1: 80 or 40

7. Firmware version select: lower half of EPROM (firmware for WD1770) or upper half (WD1772)

8. Karin interface: active or disabled

Some of the dipswitch functions can also be achieved with the Karin Maxi Setup menu (see below).

In most cases the dipswitch 2 should be set to automatic drive configuration (then you can ignore dipswitches 3-6). At boot, the interface firmware will try to automatically determine the parameters.

Using

-----

- SELECT+RESET invokes the menu of Karin Maxi Setup

- LED flashes when the interface is busy

- for 3,5" drives try to use 720kB (DD) floppies; in case of HD diskettes (1,44MB) you have to cover the density hole in the corner with a sticky tape.

Karin Maxi Setup menu

---------------------

The menu settings are lost when the computer is powered down or after cold reset.

When the letter is shown inversed, the corresponding option is active.

X - disables the interface

S - switches between drives 1 and 2

2 - sets Karin drives as D2: and D3: (not D1: and D2:)

D - disables color flashing and sound during I/O operations (leaves black screen)

Shift+Return - cold reset (can be used instead of power down and up)

Esc - exits the menu

Shift+Esc - exits the menu and resets density flags (floppy format will be recognized upon the first access)

thx trub for translate ;p

and:

applies to all of the people who bought fully assembled and cased karin maxi and those who are going to put it in the case by them selves

Make sure that the interface is a the proper height to fit the slot at the back of the computer. Check rubber feet. They may be absent or damaged, some examples:

wysokosc.jpg

Add a support at the bottom of the interface so it is held firmly in the proper position when attaching additional cartridges or PBI devices to the extra CART+ECI slots

Edited by St(r)yker
  • Like 1

Got my Maxi Drive thx St®yker

Now all I need is some help to set it up

Use an old PC power supply for the drives or a drive caddy?

Which 3.5 or 5.25 will the Karin recognise?

Also how do I get software onto the disks? through my Sdrive? or is there a Win XP program to write the floppies for teh 8 bit

Please advise people :)