IGNORED

KarinMaxiDrive preorder

St(r)yker

<noob>So, you can use a twist cable in place of soldering the DS jumper? Was wondering because I have some floppy cables with twist and the edge connectors for my 5.25 drive.

Also, will 80 track drives read 40 track discs? (5.25")</noob> (I should just leave that control open)

The twisted cable used for PCs allow 2 drives both jumpered as DS1 to respond to DS1/DS2 from the PC, I'm fairly certain it won't work for a device that uses DS0/DS1.

Maybe we're getting tangled up in DS1/2 vs. D0:/D1:?

The drive plugged into the end of the cable (after the twist) will be D0: and the drive before the twist will be D1:. Both drives set to D1:. So, yes, you can use a cable with a twist and not have to change jumper settings.

An 80 track drive has to double-step tracks in order to read 40 track disks. Not feasible... For many reasons.

Bob

Thanks Bill and Bob, I figured DS1/2 or DS0/1 was just symantics as I've never seen a floppy with DS0 thru DS2 before. I guess I'll need to find a 360Kb 5.25" drive for more "accurate"? 40 track reading. Thanks.

Funny thing, I still don't have a 130xe at the moment, so it's all moot at this point. No budget to buy one off eBay, hoping someone will trade for an 800xl with a borked ram upgrade, but still powering on correctly (I'm no diag guru).

haha,

-A.

Hello St®yker,

Yesterday evening I've finished assembling the PCB.

I noticed that the silkscreen for C2 is confusing an maybe not correct. This is the Tantalium capacitor. Also the value, in the schematics 0,33uF is mentioned and in the instructions I think it's 3,3uF. Please check this and let me know.

More seriously, it doesn't work.

However I expect that this is due to the Gal or Eprom not being correct.

Can you please point me to the correct files (Jedec and Binary) or send them to me?

BR/

Guus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I gave my Karin Maxi Drive interface to myself today for Christmas! ;)

Now, to get it operational... I've read through the thread and the docs. Trub's docs helped a lot, but I've still got some questions. At the present, my 3.5" 720K drive boots, but it quits the boot before the MyDos menu comes up. I've tried several disks that work fine in my XF551, so I'm pretty sure it's not the disks. I can get the menu to come up (I currently have 1.3f eprom.) Right now I am using only one drive set as D0.

My very first question is about the short docs. May I assume that the first column of all settings corresponds to dip switch OFF (and the second column ON)? Even if they are reversed, are the setting all consistent (1st column, 2nd column?)

My Current dip switch settings are

1 OFF (D1/D2 ?)

2 OFF (Automatic)

3-6 OFF

7 ON (1772)

8 OFF (Active?)

For clarity, here is a re-post of the short docs (partial):

Dip switches at the back have the following functions:

1. Karin drives recognized as: D1: and D2: or D2: and D3:

2. Configuration: automatic or manual (according to switches 3-6)

3. Manual config, drive 2 step time: 3ms or 6ms

4. Manual config, drive 1 step time: 3ms or 6ms

5. Manual config, number of tracks in drive 2: 80 or 40

6. Manual config, number of tracks in drive 1: 80 or 40

7. Firmware version select: lower half of eprom (firmware for WD1770) or upper half (WD1772)

8. Karin interface: active or disabled

Another issue seems to be that the drive activity light stays on a long, long time. Last, I've tried both a straight cable and twisted. Only the straight seems to provide drive activity.

Thanks,

Larry

I gave my Karin Maxi Drive interface to myself today for Christmas! ;)

Now, to get it operational... I've read through the thread and the docs. Trub's docs helped a lot, but I've still got some questions. At the present, my 3.5" 720K drive boots, but it quits the boot before the MyDos menu comes up. I've tried several disks that work fine in my XF551, so I'm pretty sure it's not the disks. I can get the menu to come up (I currently have 1.3f eprom.) Right now I am using only one drive set as D0.

My very first question is about the short docs. May I assume that the first column of all settings corresponds to dip switch OFF (and the second column ON)? Even if they are reversed, are the setting all consistent (1st column, 2nd column?)

My Current dip switch settings are

1 OFF (D1/D2 ?)

2 OFF (Automatic)

3-6 OFF

7 ON (1772)

8 OFF (Active?)

For clarity, here is a re-post of the short docs (partial):

Dip switches at the back have the following functions:

1. Karin drives recognized as: D1: and D2: or D2: and D3:

2. Configuration: automatic or manual (according to switches 3-6)

3. Manual config, drive 2 step time: 3ms or 6ms

4. Manual config, drive 1 step time: 3ms or 6ms

5. Manual config, number of tracks in drive 2: 80 or 40

6. Manual config, number of tracks in drive 1: 80 or 40

7. Firmware version select: lower half of eprom (firmware for WD1770) or upper half (WD1772)

8. Karin interface: active or disabled

Another issue seems to be that the drive activity light stays on a long, long time. Last, I've tried both a straight cable and twisted. Only the straight seems to provide drive activity.

Thanks,

Larry

I'm not certain this is the problem, but the Karin Maxi Drive has a different layout for 360KB(and presumably 720KB as well) disks. The Karin Maxi drive interface alternates between using side 1 and 2 on each track. The XF551 uses side 1 first then switches to side 2 for the remainder, this makes side 1 of XF551 360KB disks readable in SSDD drives.

I found the information in the following post by Trub:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/196688-karinmaxidrive-pcb/page__st__25#entry2504285

If this is the problem you should be able to boot from the Karin Maxi drive using any SS disc, and then be able to use it to make a compatible DSDD disk.

Thanks Bill and Roy!

That added info will definitely help. So it alternates sides and is incompatible with all my 3-1/2" disks. Bummer! That's why it probably gets lost during the boot.

Wonder if it would be a major undertaking to make an XF551 compatible eprom?

-Larry

Well, I got a little further, but still have not been able to get a complete boot. Did eprom 1.3g correct any operational issues found in 1.3f? Also, can the Karin co-exist with regular SIO drives? (Thus far, I haven't been able to get SIO and Karin working together.)

D1: is still the 3-1/2" 720K drive. Now I've added a second drive -- a 5/1/4" 360K unit. (This is my exact Floppy Board setup.)

I can get the Karin menu and swap drives so that D1: is the 5-1/4". But if I boot with a regular SS/SD disk, it still will not complete the boot -- just keeps re-booting indefinitely. The same disk boots perfectly on a regular 1050.

Also, here's a shot of the menu screen.

-Larry

Edit: corrected my dip switches before these tests. 1,2,7,8 are all up (OFF). 3,4,5,6 are down (ON).

post-8008-0-27716800-1356475827_thumb.jpg

Further update: I got the Karin working well today. It boots, writes Dos files, etc.

I even got it working with my Floppy Board drives -- no changes required, except the ribbon cable. (FB uses a card edge connector instead of a 34-pin connector.)

Have not been able to get a hard drive working with the Maxi, yet. My IDE+2 will boot fine, but then I can't access the Maxi. Has anyone got them to work together?

-Larry

Further update: I got the Karin working well today. It boots, writes Dos files, etc.

I even got it working with my Floppy Board drives -- no changes required, except the ribbon cable. (FB uses a card edge connector instead of a 34-pin connector.

Have not been able to get a hard drive working with the Maxi, yet. My IDE+2 will boot fine, but then I can't access the Maxi. Has anyone got them to work together?

-Larry

Most likely both are using PBI ID# 0 and the IDE+2.0 takes priority over the KarinMaxiDrive. I have read somewhere that it is possible to change a soldered jumper on the IDE+2.0 to change the PBI ID# it uses.

We should LDA #$08 ORA $247 STA $247, instead.

Firmware 1.3 correctly sets $247. The bug you mention existed in the original firmware (up to 1.1).

Karin's PBI ID is fixed at 7, so other devices (including IDE+) take precedence. If you want to access Karin while having both interfaces connected, you should disable IDE+ (there is an option to do this by holding Shift upon reset). You can also use D2: for Karin by disabling the second partition in FDISK.

So it is not possible even with 1.3g to use IDE+2 as D1: and Karin as D2:/D3: together (as in copying things from D2: to D1: or vice-versa)?

The eprom that came with the Maxi is a 27C256 -- 32K, with info that "lower half is 1770" and "upper half is 1772" It looks like the data is repeated in the 27256 eprom, since data goes all the way to $3FFF and then $4000 to $7FFF.

But the data for the 1.3g image is only 4K + 4K. Put the smaller image data at (1770) $000 - $FFF and (1772) $4000 - $4FFF? (Or?)

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, 4 X 8 is still 32.

Did I miss that somewhere in the docs that the data has to be repeated? If that is what you are saying?

So the images have to be repeated every $1000 increment? Must have something to do with hardware addressing issues?

-Larry

I would expect that any PBI device would check the PBI request and return to the OS if it was not for them. If device 1 is configured for D1: and D4: for example, and device 6 is configured for D2:, and device 7 is configured for D3:, a SIO request for D3: should be acted upon by device 7. Device 1 should ignore the SIO as should device 6. A SIO for D5: should be bypassed by all PBI devices and be handled by SIO code.

Why wouldn't this be the case?

Bob

Firmware 1.3 correctly sets $247. The bug you mention existed in the original firmware (up to 1.1).

Karin's PBI ID is fixed at 7, so other devices (including IDE+) take precedence. If you want to access Karin while having both interfaces connected, you should disable IDE+ (there is an option to do this by holding Shift upon reset). You can also use D2: for Karin by disabling the second partition in FDISK.