IGNORED

Atari 400 problem

R4ngerM4n

I hooked up my old Atari 400 on TV today and I was shocked: Everything is displayed correctly, but there are no colors (BASIC screen is grey but should be blue). Other computers work properly with that TV. I used another rf-cable but same problem. Putting in a game cart I noted that sound is missing, too. The internal speaker (for keyboard click) doesn't work either. I opened the case and checked all sockets and connectors - everything seems to be in place. Any idea what the cause of this failure might be?

Hmm - lack of colour and no keyclick point to a problem with the GTIA. Regular sound of course is generated by Pokey. Everything in a 400 is socketed. Try removing & re-inserting it. If that doesn't work, try one from another machine. The other thing you may want to check, is the small potentiometer. If they lose contact due to corrosion, I believe they can also cause a lack of colour. Gently turn it back and forth a little bit.

Is it possible that your TV is not tuned properly? I know the 400 is RF only.

• Like 1

I tried the potentiometer - nothing changed, TV-output remains black and white. The computer is PAL and the TV, too. I tried the TV with another 400 and everything works fine, so I think it's a hardware problem of the 400 under question. I have the feeling that the modulator is broken because I noted after some further tests that the screen flashes sometimes (scrambled but with colors in). How to get a new PAL-modulator (or board)? Any vendors around?

Try the other channel on the switch.

Another thing - the RF cord plugs into the same type of plug inside the machine as you see on XL/XE. Those plugs are made of rubbish material that easily oxidizes and can degrade the video signal.

No difference :(

Try the other channel on the switch.

Another thing - the RF cord plugs into the same type of plug inside the machine as you see on XL/XE. Those plugs are made of rubbish material that easily oxidizes and can degrade the video signal.

No difference :(

You have a working 400. So, you can swap chips and see if that works. Specifically, someone mentioned the GTIA. GTIA is a CO14805-22. POKEY CO12294B-01, CPU CO14806-03,

Antic CO12296, PIA CO14795-12. I think that's all the 40 pin LSIs. Also, you mention a BASIC screen. You have to have a BASIC cart in to get the BASIC READY blue/white screen.

I think you get a memo pad with no other boot.

Also, wiggle the RF cable at the jack, see if there's a bad connection. And wiggle the channel select switch. I've had a bad one of those.

These are NTSC chip numbers, some different for PAL, your 'Location' is sofa cushion. I don't think 400 were made in PAL.

Edited by russg

I did some tests and it's definitively the color circuitry on the CPU board. After changing IC 74LS74 and IC 74LS244 from the working board to the non-working, one of those ICs was burnt. So now I have two CPU boards with the same problem. I ordered both ICs so I can see which one actually went broke (I dont own analyzer hardware). How to troubleshoot the resistors and capacitors on the board? Any experiences or advices?

Edited by R4ngerM4n

I did some tests and it's definitively the color circuitry on the CPU board. After changing IC 74LS74 and IC 74LS244 from the working board to the non-working, one of those ICs was burnt. So now I have two CPU boards with the same problem. I ordered both ICs so I can see which one actually went broke (I dont own analyzer hardware). How to troubleshoot the resistors and capacitors on the board? Any experiences or advices?

edit: This isn't bright. The 400 uses a 9V AC, not a 5V brick. Sorry

Are you using the same power supply on both 400s? The 'ingot' power supply is known to damage.

post-21816-0-49162600-1343047891_thumb.jpg

Edited by russg