IGNORED

Colecovision Newbie

purduecrum

Hi all...

I picked up a bunch of games at a local used game store for $1 each but never had a console until today ($40 on Craig's List). I can't get any of the games to work, but the Atari expansion that came with it works just fine. It could be the games, but I'm thinking it is more likely the unit? Is that reasonable? The expansion module interface was stuck open the entire time, I've since been able to close it but haven't tried testing it again.

Any thoughts on common problems that I should look for? Would you recommend that I open it up? Should I just send it to Yurkie for a lifelong experience of Colecovision ownership happiness? :)

Thanks!

Bill

The screen is just blank/black when I turn on the console without the expansion module attached. I tried several Colecovision games with no success. Just blank/black. I never tried starting the system without any cartridge installed as I assumed it would do no good. Is there a welcome screen (like with the Atari 7800) that should be expected?

I didn't try any cleaning yet. I know how to clean cartridge contacts, anything special to cleaning things on the inside?

The console shows some age as one would expect, but overall it is in pretty nice condition and would probably be worthy of a trip to Yurkie for lifelong happiness.

Thanks to all who have responded already!

If you turn on colecovision without any cartriges or expansion model then it should show you colecovision screen with wording about how to insert the cartrige. If you do not see that then it is not the cartriges it is the colecovision.

You can look at other threads for what to test and replace if you are good at this stuff otherwise the easiest thing is to give it to an expert aka Yurkie.

I'd message Yurkie and see if he feels its salvageable and he can fix it... he'll tell you what to try.

It might just be worth it to buy a system off him if its too far gone.

Worst comes to worst.. you can get $10-20 per controller and $20 for the power supply on ebay if they all work.

Seeing as the Exp. Mod. #01 Atari Adapter works perfectly, this tells you that the Power Supply is most likely functioning properly, that the Expansion Bus is functioning properly and that the RF Video PCB (it's a small daughter board housed in it's own shielding box at the inside/back of the system) is functioning properly.

Sounds to me that you could have a bad BIOS chip, but then again there could be other issues like the VDP (this is not used when the Atari Adapter is attached) or bad RAM chips. I would venture a guess that the BIOS chip is bad. Anyway you look at it, having the system looked over and possibly modded by Yurkie is your best option as otherwise, this is all guesswork.