IGNORED

Pitfall Harry is swinging onto the next-gen consoles

paul

I think he looks kinda cute....

Thus proving that women are often attracted to gay guys.

As for Pitfall 3-D' date=' I recently got it for $4.99 used at EB Games. For that price it's worth it. The game looks good and plays.....okay. Controls are wonky (that may just be the fault of the lowsy PSX controller) and collision isn't the best. Still, it's easily better than [b']Super Pitfall[/b], so that's something I guess.

Many questions wished to be answered by those left behind can only be answered by those gone on.

We also have Ptifall 3-D for the PS and his voiceovers are pretty funny. Not a bad game but I will agree about the controls.

I don't know much about modern games, but are these the steps they take when updating a classic game?

1. Update graphics to super hi-res

2. Create rendered 3-D world

3. Update sounds, removing any that may remind you of the original

4. Remove all traces of addictive gameplay from the original

5. Make main character gay

• 1 month later...

Is that first picture a joke? Activision had a beautiful creation in Pitfall 3D... why change it? Just upgrade the graphics with new levels. Sigh...Sometimes I think gaming companies are run by idiots.

(later) I just looked at the last set of pics. It looks "kiddie" for lack of a better description. What is it with gaming companies lately trying to make their games look "cartoonish" with cel-shading or "cute"? For me, Pitfall is a serious game. Yeah, Harry cracks jokes now and then, but he is facing real dangers. It's not a joke, and therefore shouldn't be "cute" or "kiddie".

BTW, why did you guys think Pitfall 3D had bad controls? It seemed okay to me. Are you using the analog stick?

(later) I just looked at the last set of pics.  It looks "kiddie" for lack of a better description.  What is it with gaming companies lately trying to make their games look "cartoonish" with cel-shading or "cute"?  

BTW, why did you guys think Pitfall 3D had bad controls?  It seemed okay to me.  Are you using the analog stick?

Have you seen the cel shading in Jet Grind Radio or Jet Set Radio Future? That was one of the things that really caught my eye when the first one came out.

And the controls aren't horrible in the 3D version, but they make the game a little difficult.

I remember the first time I used the analog stick on the PS. I never thought I'd get the hang of it and always turned it off when I played games on the PS. I'd never used one before that. Now I hate using the pad controller... :)

I use both. I use the D-pad for menus and the analog stick for character movement. The only flaw I found with Pitfall 3D was the stupid camera. Instead of holding Harry in the center of the screen, the camera "wobbles" back and forth. If I play too long, I get motion sickness! But otherwise, I thought it was a great game. It had all the scorpion-avoiding, vine-swinging, pit-jumping action of the original! Definitely a keeper.

(looks at gamescreenshots.com) Jet Set Radio Future is okay I guess, but I prefer the realistic look over cartoon. To date, the only cell-shading that's impressed me was Dark Cloud 2, because it looks like it's art instead of just a cartoon.

Something about the Pitfall Harry in those pictures seems slightly unnatural. I don't mean in the "3-D rendering" way; I don't mean in that "cartoonism vs. realism" way; I don't mean in the "true to the 1980's aesthetic way" either. I can't put my finger on it yet, but they just seem to be... off. The game might be a lot of fun, it might even capture the spirit of the original Pitfall in a whole new way, but it still seems... off.