IGNORED

Atari 2600 HSC Season 10, "IDEAS POLL"

JacobZu7zu7

2600 HSC AND MODERATOR QUESTIONS  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If someone is awarded the new Moderator, should we...

• Keep Zeros HSC rules the same - /1 game a week/best tips/bonus/a variety pack
    • Keep Zeros HSC familiar but change a few things - /be specific in your posts below!
    • Give it a complete overhaul...! - /explain your LIST of ideas to us.
    • Larcen Tyler is our new 2600 Moderator! - /happy for him? :D

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I don't mind having the harmony games scores posted as record reference for HSC (though most of the harmony games are/will be homebrews or hacks)

so if there happens to be homebrew game in HSC then it would be cool to use.

I have try to get back into playing hsc(either here on in retrocade) :D

Let the Atari 2600 Olympic games begin!

Started by homerwannabee, Jul 27 2012 7:20 AM

http://www.atariage....ic-games-begin/

The competition is being held from (July 27th, 2012 to August 12th 2012)

These are the events that will be played.

Decathlon: 100 Meter Dash, Long Jump, Shot Put High Jump, 400 Meter race, 110 Meter Hurdles, Discus, Javelin Throw, 1500 Meters

Track and Field: 100 Meter Dash, Long Jump, Javelin, 110 Meter Hurdles, Hammer Throw, High Jump

Summer Games: Hurdles, Swimming, Skeet Shooting, 100 Yard Dash, Swimming Relay, Gymnastics

Pele's Soccer: Game 28 difficulty B (Highest score differential will be used)

Video Olympics: Game 1 difficulty B (Highest score differential will be used)

Realsports Volleyball: Game 1 difficulty B (Highest score differential will be used)

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

I remembered last round in Hsc I offered to record my game play video for each round.

I was planning to do it Saturdays.

That way if I play well the game it serves as a different kind of tip. If I play bad I'll have more time to train.

But I'd like to hear from you about this.

1) Do you feel like having a spoiler if I post game play videos for each game? In that case, I can post only in my AA and personal blog, not directly in the thread.

2) Do you prefer a late (Saturday) game play video or in the begining of the week is better?

I would like to play a season, I have participated in the past, but lost interest.

There are so many excellent players, most of us have zero chance of placing anywhere good each week.

Maybe the high score each week sits out 3 weeks, the 2nd place sits out 2 weeks, the 3rd place sits out 1 week. (more of a joke, but could be interesting)

(...)

Maybe the high score each week sits out 3 weeks, the 2nd place sits out 2 weeks, the 3rd place sits out 1 week. (more of a joke, but could be interesting)

Sit out 3 weeks... That's a pretty bad idea :(

I don't like anything in this sort but....

... if we should go for a more competitive championship I would do something like ballasts used in car racing. Some sort of handicap.

Maybe previous round winner would have his score as a result of his game points minus the points of the lower score of the week.

That way the player who can't score much would take points from the previous round winner. That should give him some incentive...

Well, just throwing ideas here. I wouldn't vote for this :)

• Like 1

(...)

Sit out 3 weeks... That's a pretty bad idea :(

I don't like anything in this sort but....

... if we should go for a more competitive championship I would do something like ballasts used in car racing. Some sort of handicap.

Maybe previous round winner would have his score as a result of his game points minus the points of the lower score of the week.

That way the player who can't score much would take points from the previous round winner. That should give him some incentive...

Well, just throwing ideas here. I wouldn't vote for this :)

I know it is a bad idea, I wouldn't vote for it either. But in reality, there is no fair way of handicapping. Handicapping at its root is not fair, it is more like communism of competetion. It brings everyone down to the same level, and removes any incentive to perform better.

BUT done well with fun people, it can increase fun.

Anyway, my vote for to keep it simple, keep it pretty much the same. I like the bonus points and stuff like that.

I would like to play a season, I have participated in the past, but lost interest.

There are so many excellent players, most of us have zero chance of placing anywhere good each week.

If falling behind is a concern, besides playing each week, a good way to potentialy catch up and

still be fair, how about, bonus point/s awarded each round, for each player you beat ahead of you?

(only for players outside the top 5)

like +2 bonus for each player you outscore in the rankings??

If falling behind is a concern, besides playing each week, a good way to potentialy catch up and

still be fair, how about, bonus point/s awarded each round, for each player you beat ahead of you?

I like that, like an underdog bonus. You only get it by doing well. I think it would be hard to manage, but nothing a nice excel sheet wouldn't handle.

I like that, like an underdog bonus. You only get it by doing well. I think it would be hard to manage, but nothing a nice excel sheet wouldn't handle.

It happened once when Ze_ro was moderating. It's very interesting but can change many positions. Actually when Ze_ro used this bonus Oyamafamily (a very strong player and high ranked at the time) put a low score and stated it was for participation only. That caused a huge change in the rankings.

In the end, with so many ideas and thoughts, I think LarcenTyler shall be free to put his own style...

---

I found the thread. But Ze_ro didn't use the "+2 bonus for each player" suggested by Jacob. The bonus was 2x the difference in position and the effect was much more than he expected. So Jacob's idea is even better now :thumbsup: .

Just not sure if we really shall include this rule in all HSC rounds.

Good question, DJT. I'm still getting used to how things are going on, so I'll probably start it the first week of September. The thing is, have we come to a consensus on how things are going to be handled?

I think ultimately you get to decide here, based on all our suggestions, how you want it to go. We've all said our piece, I think, and are awaiting official word!

• Like 1

I still like having the list of potential games posted beforehand for collecting motivation, and having a knock-out tourney concurrent but officially "on-the-side" of the HSC.

Getting rid of the tips bonus seems justifiable, but having some sort of occasional bonus challenge is still exciting.

I still like having the list of potential games posted beforehand for collecting motivation, and having a knock-out tourney concurrent but officially "on-the-side" of the HSC.

Getting rid of the tips bonus seems justifiable, but having some sort of occasional bonus challenge is still exciting.

The Knockout WILL happen again sometime, it's not part of the HSC season calender.

It doesn't appy to Votes here...

I assume some bonus challenge will be included with each game...

Activision patch bonuses I really liked by Zero, he would award +2 if you reached the patch score.

• Like 1

I could probably think of new things to add, but really I think the high score club as it was running before was perfect. Not really sure how you could add a knock-out in the middle of it, but I guess it could be possible for one round somehow. But, still, I like the classic way best. The variety was good and it kept it to what it should be, in my opinion, pure score crushing insanity. Let's give Twin Galaxies more to cry about.

It's officially tied between keep it the same and make minor changes. If anyone has any minor changes that they'd like to suggest, speak now.

Your dreams have been killed. Will this be the first time in history voting was decided by a single vote?

It's officially tied between keep it the same and make minor changes. If anyone has any minor changes that they'd like to suggest, speak now.

Your dreams have been killed. Will this be the first time in history voting was decided by a single vote?

We are the popular vote. LarcenTyler is the Electoral College. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So... is the new HSC starting soon?

I hope it starts soon.

Today I've finished collecting all high scores from the HSC forum.

Tomorrow I'm going to check all of them, keeping the highest score of each game and formating the thread.

I think I'll post the table here so everyone can correct my mistakes :-D before LarcenTyler posts the table in a fixed thread.

I tried to not make mistakes but it was hard to collect the scores. I even don't know yet who won the third HSC... Current standings weren't updated to the finish of that season.

Who won that? Keilbaca?

• Like 3