IGNORED

Retrode 3 - Save States?

JohnnyRockets

Retrode 3? Did I miss something? :)

Savestates are something done by the emulator. So yes, the Retrode "allows" save states in that it doesn't care what you do with your emulator. As for on-cartridge savegames, those can be read from (and written to, if need be) the cartridge for a large number of SNES and Genesis titles.

JonnyRockets is from the future where you design a new case to fit the Raspberry Pi into the existing Retrode. I'm not courageous enough to cut up my Pi but I'm more than willing to buy another Retrode for an all-in-one case!

I'd guess more of a "parallel universe" thing. In this one, it seems that nobody really wants to pay for that, see the recent poll on retrode.org :)

Everyone! I'm a goof! I meant RetroN3.

Whoops! It wasn't my intention to start a conversation about some fictitious mystery project! :D

Sorry!!!

Shhh.. just play along! You got a reply from THE MAN who created the Retrode! If we could convince him to stuff in a Raspberry Pi or one of these:

http://olimex.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/imx233-olinuxino-micro-76x42-mm-single-board-linux-computer/

We could have the first homebrew console to run SNES/Genesis/GBA/N64/2600 and more!

ahem.. why yes! JohnnyRockets! what a great idea! I agree!

@JohnnyRockets:

You also need a Mega Everdrive for save states on the Genesis side

@Matthias_H:

Well, the MakiBot A6 uses plastic pellets so it's much cheaper to produce stuff. You could probably find a way to use soda bottles and milk containers.

Besides the obvious self manufacturing of Retrode cases? Hmmn..

What about cases for Retrode adapters? I'm pretty sure my failure to copy Atari 2600 games is because of bad connections and/or bad orientation.

What about universal cartridge cases? You could design the first universal homebrew PCB in the first universal cartridge case. You could make the top half and EEPROM board universal (with its own "BIOS" to configure which system the cart is). Next you could print out a bottom half that connects to a SNES/Genesis/2600/Coleco/SG-100 etc..

What about Arduino cases specifically for reproducing handheld games? With Arduino kits being so cheap you could be the first to allow people to make homebrew handheld games easily!

What about Lego parts specifically made to reproduce Arcade machines? You could make Lego compatible bumpers, joysticks, arcade buttons etc..

What about open source $kylanders? You could print out the case for the Portal of Powa! You could print out $kylander figures for homebrew games!

What about cases for the emerging do-it-yourself consoles? There's the Gameduino Duinomite and Olinuxino. Heck, even a cheap Arduino Uno with a TV out cable and Wii nunchuck can be a video game system!

Lastly, everyone - and I mean EVERYONE (including the inventor) totally missed the boat on the RBox:

http://rossum.poster...ilding-the-rbox

http://rossum.posterous.com/20131601

https://sourceforge.net/projects/rbox/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Mdt6uzmOg

Note about video: That tiny joystick knob IS THE RBOX SYSTEM! Parts costing a few dollars and a watch battery for a 32-bit color game console programmed in C!

With a 3D printer and your knowledge of electrical engineering you could take this to the next level!

* Ultra Cheap m0 32 bit CPU

* Ultra low power

* Low part count

The Matthias Rbox could be THE homebrew console in everyones hands! Literally!

P.S. I purchased an original Retrode awhile ago. I guess this is my chance to thank you personally! Er, thank you! My Genesis and SNES collection is now safely backed up and with me on all my portable devices and flash carts. No way I could EVER do that on my own.

Edited by theloon

Thanks for your encouraging words! Of course I know what 3D printers are good for; I've worked with several different high-end models in the past. Prototyping: yes. Production: no way (accuracy, stability and looks of finished part, printing speed, operating cost). I'm just sooo glad I can leave the manufacturing of my products to professionals :)

Edited by Matthias_H

What about cases for Retrode adapters? I'm pretty sure my failure to copy Atari 2600 games is because of bad connections and/or bad orientation.

Not so sure about that. More likely a firmware issue. Atari 2600 carts are autodetection hell and their support in the Retrode firmware is far from mature.

• 2 weeks later...

Not so sure about that. More likely a firmware issue. Atari 2600 carts are autodetection hell and their support in the Retrode firmware is far from mature.

We've basically solved these issues with the Harmony dumper (as discussed in the latter portion of the Harmony as CopyCart thread). I'll send some source if you want an idea of how we did it.

About the only major bankswitching type we skipped was SARA RAM. This is because Harmony is being used as a cart dumper and in this context I felt it was OK to require that SARA chip games need a little post-processing (namely, you manually change the first 256 bytes of each bank to $FF or $00). But Retrode is not exactly a dumper, so the emulator would not properly see it as a SARA game unless manually specified. One way around this is with additional checks to test for the RAM. There were suggestions on how to do this late in the thread, but I didn't bother implementing them.