IGNORED

Aardvark software for the TI

adamantyr

Hi guys,

I've been reading through my Compute! magazines for a bit of nostalgia, and I keep seeing the ads for Aardvark L.T.D., which turned out several text adventures and strategy games of note, primarily for the TRS machines. They also started releasing them for the TI; I think I have "Quest" somewhere on disk...

Does anyone know if someone's got these up for download somewhere on one of the sites, like WHT Tech?

Titles made for the TI:

Quest
Wizard's Tower
Escape from Mars
Pyramid

Adamantyr

Edited by adamantyr

My first mail order purchase was from them. It was Wizard's Tower. It was like a really dumbed down Ultima. Some parts didn't make sense(like the combat numbers). Think I got through it once. You really had to grind to beat the last guy(Madgar).

Curious what the other titles were like.

My first mail order purchase was from them. It was Wizard's Tower. It was like a really dumbed down Ultima. Some parts didn't make sense(like the combat numbers). Think I got through it once. You really had to grind to beat the last guy(Madgar).

I know I got Quest somewhere in my archives... it was a strategy game that used ASCII graphics for mountains. Actually an impressive little game.

It's cool that you got a copy of Wizard's Tower, that one seems much more difficult to find, I could only find a screenshot of it for the Atari online. Do you still have the disk and/or binaries?

Adamantyr

Post a copy of Wizards Tower on here and I'll post the rest.

I know I got Quest somewhere in my archives... it was a strategy game that used ASCII graphics for mountains. Actually an impressive little game.

It's cool that you got a copy of Wizard's Tower, that one seems much more difficult to find, I could only find a screenshot of it for the Atari online. Do you still have the disk and/or binaries?

Adamantyr

All of my original TI stuff was long ago. It was actually on cassette, not disk. This was prior to '86 so cassette only.

Old school!

Adamantyr

All of my original TI stuff was long ago. It was actually on cassette, not disk. This was prior to '86 so cassette only.

Old school!

Was gone long ago, you mean? Bummer... :(

Yeah, I used a cassette system for four years before I got my P.E.B. Funny enough, I was just reading an article in Compute! which mentioned "stringy floppies" the old wafer tape systems that were like an 8-track player. They could store around 64k of data and were as fast as a disk drive of the era. The author completely missed the boat on flash memory, though, and just assumed magnetic media would continue forever...

Adamantyr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Wow - as a High School student I worked for Aardvark Software in Walled Lake and was the guy who ported all their games to the TI-99 including Wizards Tower. Wizards tower was very difficult to fit into 16K and TI BASIC. If memory serves we had some trick where we'd define all the program variables up front and when you saved the program to cassette it would also save the variable stack. That game also had some computational bugs we discovered after release that made it almost impossible to win - in the sense that it was much harder to complete than we intended. Sadly I don't have copies of the games - but would love to get my hands on a copy...

• Like 4

Wow - as a High School student I worked for Aardvark Software in Walled Lake and was the guy who ported all their games to the TI-99 including Wizards Tower. Wizards tower was very difficult to fit into 16K and TI BASIC. If memory serves we had some trick where we'd define all the program variables up front and when you saved the program to cassette it would also save the variable stack. That game also had some computational bugs we discovered after release that made it almost impossible to win - in the sense that it was much harder to complete than we intended. Sadly I don't have copies of the games - but would love to get my hands on a copy...

That is awesome! Mind you, I know what you mean about TI BASIC... I hit the memory limit when I was writing "Aperture" for the contest.

Extended BASIC with memory expansion is a lot closer to the BASIC languages on other systems, but so few 99'ers of the early 80's had much more than the console.

The hunt continues for Aardvark software...

Adamantyr

Was reading on Google groups that Ksarul has just about one of the largest TI99 collections going so you could ask him and tbh I would'nt mind seeing what he has in order to expand the Gamebase collection to it's full potential.

Edited by OX.

• 3 weeks later...

I went and checked in my boxes of original TI disks for anything from Aardvark. I have a manual or two that I've picked up over the years but none of the original disks. This is not surprising though, as most of the disk/cassette software in my collection was acquired MANY years after TI pulled out of the market if it was game software. Until the mid-nineties, the majority of the games I bought were on cartridge, as I'm not too much of a game freak. I have a huge collection of original copies of utility software, and probably the most complete hardware collection there is (although I have some glaring holes there too). I also have about the most complete set of International literature of anyone I know--others may have more in specific languages, but I've got stuff in almost every language TI stuff was released for. I saw that nice set of TI manuals in Danish that Sometimes99er provided the link to and drooled--Danish is completely missing from my collection of TI manuals unless it is in one of the multilingual cartridge/harware manuals. The same goes for Swedish.