IGNORED

Why would someone do this?

Frankie

I doubt those are bare wires. Probably wire-wrap with thin insulation, or enamel.

EDIT: And they might have done it for the same reason I did a 320k upgrade in a similar manner to my 130XE. I wanted more RAM, but did not want to purchase any extra parts. Therefore, I removed the extra RAM from an EGA card out of a broken laptop, used a few spare ICs I happened to have lying around, and constructed the entire upgrade by piggybacking chips. It was basically free.

Edited by jmetal88

I've done a similair thing with both Rambo XL and AtariMax 256K memory upgrades, piggy-backing another 256K on top for 512K memory. The chips cost me about $10 and the rest of needed suppliesI had on hand. It was a lot cheaper than "upgrading" to any of the newer 320-1088K memory upgrades and I'm quite happy with 512K.

Oh, and I've used similiar wiring, I have it in red and green and amber, it has a coating, probably enamel as mentioned (that's what gives it the color other than copper/tin).

Edited by Gunstar

I picked up an 800 on ebay and when I looked on the inside I saw this for the memory card -

Why would someone go to all this trouble to add 32K? Why not just get boards for $10?

How does it even work will all those bare wires?

photo.JPG

I have done the exact same mod on one of my boards back in '84. It gave the 800 an additional 128k or 256k of banked memory...

This allowed you to use a Ram Disk on Drives 7 & 8, it was very popular back then as you could run a BBS on just one real drive :)

Jay