IGNORED

Gran Turismo strategy question...

utamav91

Gran Turismo 3 A Spec...you start out with like 18K to spend to buy a car, so I bought a low-end car (all you can afford obviously--the Dodge Coupe thing that looks like a minivan). I've also got my first two licenses.

It is better to try to earn money winning races at the low level (you only get $1000 for winning a race and it takes like 30-40K to get anything resembling speedy or powerful) and buy another car,

or

take my low-end car and use the money to upgrade it to the gills? I've upgraded a bit and it's very competitive on the beginner circuit, but it can't even come close to being competitive in the next-level "A" races...[/b]

It helps to upgrade the first car just a little bit, so you can win some of the low level races quite easily. Try to accumulate enough cash for a better car, and put lots of improvements into it. I think there's a race on the Super Speedway that gives several grand, so once you can nail that one, you should be pretty well set, at least until you buy (or win) yet another car to do the really big money races.

i find if you just get eny car however cheap and tune it up to the max you can start to win some good prize money.

just don't wait ages doing all the crapy races over and over again to get big bucks for a car that will allso need some tuneing [more money] spent on it to make it behave on the track.

i'll start to winning some quite fast cars fairly soon into the games but don't sell them untill your quite shore you will not need them for a race somewhere in the game. i made that merstake, wonting a better car, selling one i'd won and finding that i have to bye it again! lol

just don't be in a hurry to get faster cars; some of the best cars in the game are quite low powered

Once you've got some cash, here's a quick how to....

Buy a TVR Tuscan Speed 6 & enter the TVR Challenge. 50K per win and if you save the game on the penultimate race & are 11 points+ clear, enter the last race but quit out of it. When it comes to winning a car you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning a TVR Speed 12. Keep reloading the saved game until you're awarded this car, very fast and can be won multiple times so you can start selling them off for lots of cash.

How to win the Escudo PP ed with no driving skill required

Buy a CTR2 & upgrade to the max, but also buy dirt racing tyres and fit them. Enter the Rally stages with this car. When racing don't worry too much about steering, just let the walls guide the car as much as possible (it has dreadful understeer anyway) and STAY on the accelerator. You'll win all races by huge margins because it is simply such a fast car. It takes about 90 minutes to finish the whole lot of Rally stages but you come away with lots of cash, a nice bunch of Rally spec cars & of course the Escudo. I actually used this to complete all of the Rally stages a few months back and is a guarenteed winner. On the downside, by the time you've finished the Rally section your CTR2 will be in pretty bad shape, mine lost almost 50 bhp but then again, if you've an Escudo, maxing the upgrades for this will give you a car with 1881 bhp!!!

For a very cheap 200mph+ car, buy the Toyota Supra RZ (about 40K) & max the upgrades. This car can manage higher speeds than most of Le Mans spec cars & at a fraction of the cost. As I recall, it will reach about 420 km/h.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of an amendment

The CTR2 car has terrible handling, here's how to make the car 'Rally' spec (you must buy the fully adjustable suspension, gearbox & AVC control for this)

Suspension

Increase the ride height to the highest value

Soften the springs, front to about 5.0 & rear to 4.0

The anti-roll set to 4, front & rear

Gearbox

Select the bar at the bottom which alters all of the gear ratios, it has a number (initially set at 36 I think at the far right-hand side of the bar) & set it to a value of 29. The car now has a max speed of about 290km/h but enormous acceleration and helps steer the car by using the accelerator

4WD

Decrease the front power ratio from 40% down to 30%, the car responds more like a RW drive auto & is MUCH easier to steer.

Best beginning car - the Mazda MX5 (this might have a different name depending on the country your in, Euno or Eunos? It costs about 17K to buy. At the first opportunity buy racing tyres (medium), the car's handling ability increases dramatically with good tyres, power out of corners without sliding much. Also drop the ride height of the car to minimum, car corners a little better & slight speed increase.

Cheap rally car, buy the Mitsubishi 3000 & buy all upgrades. Alter the suspension etc. as above. You will now have a rally car with over 1000bhp! Total cost is 200K (rally cars are normally 350K to buy)