IGNORED

wondering what would happen with a neo geo stick

stringfellow

What would be more interesting is to wire the 5200 trak-ball to work on the Neo-Geo for that one game that needs it, I think it was called Irritating Maze.

And even more interesting than that, an adaptor to make the Jaguar controller work on the 5200.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman
  • Like 1

And even more interesting than that, an adaptor to make the Jaguar controller work on the 5200.

That would be amazing!

exactly. I found it a bit odd that the an adapter to use it on the 2600 was made but not one for the 5200

I did find this.... Seems a bit daunting.

http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/jag_adapter.html

• 8 months later...

db15_laugh.PNG

at least the pins are wired to switches so you could use one with a masterplay if you wired a simple adapter

the extension cords proabably work

here is a visual 5200 pinout

db.png

For the 5200 visual pinout. Top row is keypad. Looks like there is a column of keypad that combines with the various rows for the button press, so requires something like 3 & 4 for START 1 & 8 for #? Am I seeing that right?

10 looks like L/R and 11 U/D. 13 is fire; 14 is top side button.

What is 9?

I noticed that the neo geo and actually the famicom have the same controller ports as the 5200.

The Famicom ones aren't; the originals ones were wired directly into the console, and the ones that came out with the A/V Famicom had a similar (if not the same) shape as the NES ones.

The Famicom ones aren't; the originals ones were wired directly into the console, and the ones that came out with the A/V Famicom had a similar (if not the same) shape as the NES ones.

He's referring to the Famicom's expansion port, which is just like the Neo Geo's controller connector in that it's a deeper version of the DB15 plug. Both the original and AV Fami (as well as the Twin Fami) have this expansion port and it was usually used for third-party controllers. The AV Fami uses the exact same controller connectors as the NES and is compatible with most NES controllers save for the Zapper (which can be easily fixed).

To answer my own question, the 9 pin is the "pot common." I believe I found that answer on the 5200 FAQ on this site.

Also - 4 combines with 5,6,7 for Reset, Pause, Start.

@Kensu - I ordered some parts including a keypad, and I'm going to try and use your instructions to build a PC gameport adapter. Since you mentioned tiny solder points on the keypad, I may try some different things with it. Lots of cheap parts available at DX.com open up the possibilities.

I noticed that the neo geo and actually the famicom have the same controller ports as the 5200. I wondering how it would work to have one of those plugged into the 5200?

DON'T DO IT! The Famicom, 5200, and Neo-Geo used totally incompatible pinouts, as mentioned in the diagrams above. If a switch contact happens to close across VCC and GND, your console will be fried. :skull:

Speaking of which, i've got an AV famicom and I need some Neo Geo extension cables to hack adapters for the expansion port. I already internally wired the AV Famicom for zapper support, but I'm planning at some point on building an Arkanoid controller for the NES, and I'll need to create a custom adapter cable for the Arkanoid controller since the Famicom version uses different input registers compared to the NES, making the games incompatible. While I'm at it, I'll add in a port for player 3 & player 4 / zapper.

Back on topic, the cables you need for custom 5200 / Famicom / NeoGeo projects can be found here:

http://www.tototek.c...&products_id=58

Edited by stardust4ever

DON'T DO IT! The Famicom, 5200, and Neo-Geo used totally incompatible pinouts, as mentioned in the diagrams above. If a switch contact happens to close across VCC and GND, your console will be fried. :skull:

Speaking of which, i've got an AV famicom and I need some Neo Geo extension cables to hack adapters for the expansion port. I already internally wired the AV Famicom for zapper support, but I'm planning at some point on building an Arkanoid controller for the NES, and I'll need to create a custom adapter cable for the Arkanoid controller since the Famicom version uses different input registers compared to the NES, making the games incompatible. While I'm at it, I'll add in a port for player 3 & player 4 / zapper.

Back on topic, the cables you need for custom 5200 / Famicom / NeoGeo projects can be found here:

http://www.tototek.c...&products_id=58

If you are haccking that port so you can use other controllers keep in mind that not all games work with controllers plugged in there. I put NES controller ports on the back of my famicom and it was easy. The hard part (which I still haven't done it to cut the case to fit the ports in.