IGNORED

New Atari 5200 Owner

craigm71

Hello everyone! I just picked up a Atari 5200 from craigslist for $75.00, which I think is a good price (see pics). One thing the console is missing is a power supply.

Anyone recommend one, or selling one, please let me know. The Atari 5200 is the two port one so I am not 100% there is any difference.

The other issue is the faceplate is really banged up...on the left hand side its actually coming off the console. Anyone know have to fix this or where I can get a new one?

Besides that I think I good deal. Thanks!

post-33368-0-83810000-1344992526_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-73168600-1344992601_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The person I was buying all that stuff from wanted $150.00, so ya...after looking up some of the games, I think I did really well.

Also, thanks for pointing me to http://www.best-electronics-ca.com, I bought a power supply ($15.00) and a metal bezel ($12.00), the only thing they did not have was the back flap that you store the joysticks in. Mine works but you can see there was a crack in it and it was fixed somehow.

Best Electronics sell those Gold certified Atari 5200 Joysticks and the person I was talking to told me about them, that might be a near future purchase, anyone buy one of them yet?

Also, they were really nice guys...I would buy from them again without hesitation.

• Like 1

Awesome pick from Craigslist! I've seen Gremlins go for $100 for a new copy by itself so you definitely got your money's worth. And it looks like you have half of the games in the 5200 library (or about) so you are off to a good start. I assume you have two controllers and hopefully they work. If not, never fear because they can be fixed. Not the easiest controllers in the world to fix but it can be done. Since I see Robotron in the mix, you might want to spring for a controller holder and Space Dungeons.

Best Electronics sell those Gold certified Atari 5200 Joysticks and the person I was talking to told me about them, that might be a near future purchase, anyone buy one of them yet?

I sprung for one and certainly do not regret it! :thumbsup:

Always liked Best, but their website gives me a headache. You'd think they'd have someone redesign it -- its like it was designed in the days of Compuserve.

Yes...their site has something to be desired. I got my new metal face plate and a new power supply (oh...shiny). The 5200 works great!

kamakazi, I only got one joystick with the unit and it works...kinda...during my play this weekend, I notice the fire button working only 75% of the time. I think things are dirty so I will pull it apart tonight and clean it...see how it works after.. Once I get the console up 100%, I will buy one of those gold joysticks...

Now I just have to find a S-Video or component mod

The last set of Atari 5200 controllers I bought did not work ... or so I thought. Then I remembered a little trick I used to do back in the day when my 2600 and 5200 controllers started getting buggy. I would take a pencil eraser and 'erase' the dirt/gunk from the contacts and viola! So, I recently did this with these two 5200 controllers I got for $10, and again - viola! They both work perfectly now - keypad, start, pause, reset, fire buttons. 5200 controllers are a bit tricky to put back together but at least I didn't have to mess with taking the flex circuit out!

That's good to know jtoubeaux, I will have to open the joystick up today and see about cleaning it out.

Also, I received my new face plate best-electronics-com but I have removed the old one. Anyone do this before? When I talked to the guys at best-electronics-com they told me to take a hair dryer to the current faceplate to heat up the glue. Even though the current faceplate is coming off, the parts that are still on is like concrete.

Once I have that done, the last thing I need is a back flap where the controllers go. While mine is still "working" you can see someone broke it and re-glued it. They did a good job actually but I would rather have one that was not broken then fixed. best-electronics-com is out of that part so if anyone has one laying around, send me a PM and I'll make an offer. Thanks!