IGNORED

How to connect the 2600 to a TV that only has HDMI inputs?

tremoloman2006

Is there a way to connect an unmodified 2600 to a TV that only has HDMI/Component inputs?

I was going to hook up a 2600 at work for lunch breaks but the TVs we have only support these two inputs.

I've looked around the web and haven't found a good solution thus far.

If any of you can lend your expertise I'd greatly appreciate it!

Best regards,

Trem

NOTE: Updated topic title since the TV I'm trying to use only has HDMI. :(

They seriously only have HDMI and Component? No RF/antenna/cable at all?

Unfortunately... yes.

It's a gigantic Samsung (sorry - don't know the model number).

I'm dying to hook it up and get some good competitions going!

Thank you for all your help thus far.

This video demodulator costs $136. Ouch!

The converter "theloon" recommended is for sale on eBay for only $46. I think I may buy one and give this a shot. I'd have to use a VCR or a modded 2600 to use it but it would be a cheap solution. I have a few S-Video modded systems so I could leave one at work.

Best regards,

Trem

They seriously only have HDMI and Component? No RF/antenna/cable at all?

Unfortunately... yes.

It's a gigantic Samsung (sorry - don't know the model number).

I'm dying to hook it up and get some good competitions going!

Thank you for all your help thus far.

This video demodulator costs $136. Ouch!

The converter "theloon" recommended is for sale on eBay for only $46. I think I may buy one and give this a shot. I'd have to use a VCR or a modded 2600 to use it but it would be a cheap solution. I have a few S-Video modded systems so I could leave one at work.

Best regards,

Trem

What about what gorfcadet said? I remember looking at the boxes of TV's at Walmart and it did seem to show the component doubling as composite. It looked something like this:

post-28856-0-46330800-1345091310.jpg

What about what gorfcadet said? I remember looking at the boxes of TV's at Walmart and it did seem to show the component doubling as composite. It looked something like this:

post-28856-0-46330800-1345091310.jpg

Thank you for the info! I'm checking with our A/V team at work to see what model Samsung we use so I can see if it supports this.

I'm still going to get a converter though so I can bring my 2600 with me to parties and friend's houses.

Gotta share the Atari love!

OK... this TV only takes VGA, DVI, and HDMI - that's it. No other inputs available. :(

I'm going to have to purchase a converter box. I'll order one and post my progress shortly.

I see several devices that look the same but have different manufacturers' names on them.

I was hoping someone here already uses one but looks like it's time to take a shot in the dark!

Found one with audio on Amazon for $45! Has lots of good reviews too so I'm likely going with this model.

If any of you have experience with these devices would you *please* post the model you've had success with?

EDIT: I purchased the box I mention above for $45. Review to come once I receive it.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I tried the box on the TVs at work. It would come on, but many games had a thin gren line which would scroll upwards. I then tried it on my parents TV. The signal did convert, but the picture would blink every 2 seconds and was very annoying.

I just shipped it back for a return. Looks like I'm going to have to try another box. Damn these are hard to find any reliable reviews on!

Hit up a thrift/goodwill/neighbours/whatever and get even a 13" CRT, trust me, you want to play VCS on a CRT

*edit - especially one with dials for authenticity :)

I have one that I use regularly. Problem is, when I want to bring Atari over a friend's house, they don't have CRTs. And I don't want to lug one around for parties. :)

• 2 years later...

I resurrecting this thread since I never posted my results with the converter I purchased. (oops!)

I had purchased a S-Video to HDMI converter from Monoprice ands it works very well. It's not perfect, but does a very good job for the price!

The model I purchased was a LKV-361 which has been disconinued. I ordered the new 9994 model which does just as good a job for under $50 and is physically smaller than its previous model.

99944.jpg

Until a true HDMI conversion kit is created, I think this is a great low-cost solution to utilizing your S-Video modded Atari system on a modern TV.

Happy gaming,

Trem

Edited by tremoloman2006
  • Like 1

The item description says "The HDMI input allows the converter to perform upscaling on low-resolution HDMI signals, so you can view them at the full 720p/1080p resolution supported by your TV. The output can be switched from 720p to 1080p at the press of a button. Another small button on unit switches between the composite/s-video input and the HDMI input."