IGNORED

Challenge: Write a game in Atari Basic under 4K

NuY

Places you can store display lists and screens:

Page 6 (256 bytes starting at 1536)

Page 4 (The Casette Buffer)

The Printer buffer on page 3 gives you a little space, and also there is some unused space at 1000 or so. Assuming you don't need the printer for anything.

Lowering RAMTOP will also give you a bit of extra space.

Also, using the string offset method I discussed earlier, where you mess with the variable offset table, to set the location of S$ to the screen memory location:

You could use this formula to calculate the string location in S$, based on screen position:

LOC=Y*40+X (Assuming a Graphics 0 screen)

S$(LOC+1,LOC+1)=CHAR$

Keeping in mind CHAR$ will be the screen code, not the ATASCII code (e.g. Space char is 0, not 32)

Using String operations like S$(1,41)="#" will rapidly place any string on the screen instantaneously. This is useful if you want to do a character sprite that is more than one character wide. Big plus side: No ML needed, not a single USR call is used.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

Printing an entire screen worth of data each time a move is initiated, very slow.

Much better would be reserve some Ram, use LMS. If manipulation of data is needed, a string could be repointed to the given area.

Of course the problem of no Asm allowed crops up - the way to go would be to toggle between 2 display lists each time any change is needed so you don't get half-baked pointers. Give the DLists the same low-byte start address so only a single Poke is needed to change the DList pointer.

• Like 1

Here's the COMPUTE! article with the string offset stuff:

http://www.atarimaga...k_peek_poke.php

This formed the basis for my CONVERT.BAS program. Basically, you are messing with the Variable Name Table, setting your string to some memory location (say, CHBAS, the screen, etc.), then any operations on the string (as I described above) will affect the location the string is attached to (like the screen memory) ... you could easily do a softsprite routine with this method and not use ML.

Edited by Synthpopalooza

Both games are impressive :thumbsup:

I had this in Stellar Caverns...post-19705-0-90432700-1346191535_thumb.png

was I just unlucky?

What's also cool is if you press break then list the program the code scrolls up the screen :D

post-19705-0-15168000-1346191559_thumb.png

Should fire do something?

I think I saw in a basic program somewhere location 713 was I used... Mapping the Atari has 713 to 735 as "spare bytes" and 736 to 767 for "miscellaneous use"! anyone know what is the difference is?

p.s. Stick the emulator on full speed and have a go on Stellar Caverns :)

was I just unlucky?

Yeah, it's all randomly generated so, although i tried to put in some caveats, it does once in a while throw up something impossible. i'm not a fan of using randomly generated landscapes to be honest but it ticked enough boxes during what i'll laughingly call "the design phase" to go in. The biggest tick was against "doesn't need much RAM". =-)

No, it's just the classic "dodge the PRINTed background" game with a few tricks really.

was I just unlucky?

Yeah, it's all randomly generated so, although i tried to put in some caveats, it does once in a while throw up something impossible. i'm not a fan of using randomly generated landscapes to be honest but it ticked enough boxes during what i'll laughingly call "the design phase" to go in. The biggest tick was against "doesn't need much RAM". =-)

No, it's just the classic "dodge the PRINTed background" game with a few tricks really.

I think I had a the occasional 'impossible' level due to random placements sneak through testing in Gwobby's Adventure : I hoped the player didn't notice and just thought they made a mistake :D

Those mentioned Ram locations aren't free - XL OS uses them and also plenty of other previously "free" locations.

Best not to trust early memory maps, only use ones which include XL revisions and additions.

I have all the latest stuff here... The Revised Mapping the Atari :D

thanks guys :thumbsup:

Quick bit of thread bumpage so it doesn't get forgotten... speaking of forgotten, where's SIO99 got to? Considering his amazing prowess with BASIC dialects i expected him to be first out of the gate with this one! =-)

• Like 2

Has anyone ever written something nice with the XL fine-vertical scroll mode?

POKE 622,255:GRAPHICS 0 (then list a long-ish program) ?

It looks at a glance like you lose processing control while the scroll happens, but it's still an interesting feature. Maybe covering up the last 3 lines or so with very wide black players or something might help a little...

I believe it has to be a self-contained program, so embedded data only.

There's tricks to save space. Character set data can be kept in data or assigned to strings. The EOL ($9B) character presents a problem, you can't embed that in strings, best way around is to weed them out and assign seperately.

I tried this to start with. But as you say it locks you out during the fine scroll plus the character scroll and makes moving a player

slow and jerky.

Also Nuy if you load the character set data from disk does this have to be included in the 4k :-D

I would suggest limit to Atari Basic and limit to single file and no hacks to embed data.

Yep, good plan - no data files, no compression, the final file must be a tokenised Basic file.

;)

I feel a little bit of a traitor but my 4K game 4K " Keep on Koastin' " has turned out much better than I expected, so I've decided to enter it into the abbuc software contest as there's still a few days to go before the deadline (may as well go for the hat-trick of last places after Gorilla Warfare and Gwobby Strikes Back!)... I can release here it once the voting has finished ;)

It's a simple idea but seems to play quite well... once you get an idea in your head then it's much easier to create something. Thanks for the inspiration from this thread NuY :thumbsup: now I really must make more effort to do something with the assembler :ponder:

Late reply, but that's fine if you want to get it in the Abbuc contest, I think I set the deadline for this to the end of September. But seeing as you've finished it, code something else up for this ;)

Okay, that's me done then. The game is called Stellar Caverns, the .BAS file is 3,209 bytes long and it's one of those "use PRINT to scroll" games where the player has to dodge the landscape. It uses PMGs (well, one player at least), a custom display list with split screen, has a little in-game sound... and it scrolls downwards!!

post-3086-0-33346300-1345316943_thumb.png

That was a giggle... although i was supposed to be working today and spent far too long on this. =-)

It reminds me this very nice GBA game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnL8tJMbc4I

Here's my (first) effort - old fashioned slider puzzle, with "authentic" Windows progress bar while it initialises... FRE(0) works out at 3693 bytes. Controls: 4-way joystick. My 4-year old boy loves it... sort of.

I'd also note that while this is well under 4k, it is not nice! To SIO99 - from our earlier thread, I'm afraid you'd despise my code here... it's full of pokes to screen memory to keep it fast, rather than locate...position...print, which would work, but rather too sluggishly (and memory costly as well). Some lines are VERY long to save bytes, the variables are quite short, lots of constants/reuse, and the DATA for the graphics is as ASCII data, with code "155" manually fixed (as you can't type it). Even strings of 2-byte hex values took me over the limit by some 80 bytes that I just couldn't optimise out... so I converted the data to ASCII, saved 1k, and got lazy after that.

So, there's no machine code, but that doesn't make it pleasant to code! (in fact, I suggest, machine code would be rather easier - and a thing of beauty compared to this!)

Anyhow... it's been a fun challenge - I might try an action game like TMR did when I've recovered my sanity. Hope you enjoy it (for maybe a few seconds til maybe you get fed up with it!)

W.

That's pretty nice, and probably far beyond the standards I was expecting for anything done in Basic. I'll need to get my copy of Mapping out to work out what you're doing with all those POKEs though, I fear :)

Quick bit of thread bumpage so it doesn't get forgotten... speaking of forgotten, where's SIO99 got to? Considering his amazing prowess with BASIC dialects i expected him to be first out of the gate with this one! =-)

He's trying to decipher the sea of POKEs from wesmond's prod ;)