IGNORED

Keith Robinson got a copy of D2K Arcade

Rev

Mr. Robinson spoke more on the G4 episode of Icons titled The Crash.

When asked about the crash Mr. Robinson responded that a lot of bad games were released. He then used Parker Brothers(PB) as an example. The games mentioned were Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back and James Bond. Again using PB as an example he said they were inexperienced at making video games but had the money to buy the best games or games people knew about in the arcades. To be fair he ripped on E.T. also but then who has not at least once.

I can not speak for Mr. Robinson but I think in the interview he was just giving his reasons why the crashed happened. His comments could have been replaced with any third game developer at that time except maybe Activision. It is easy to see he believed in the system then and still has a lot of pride even today. Who can fault him. The Intellivision is a good system even now.

This might be a good topic discussion - Out of all the systems at that time which ones could have stood alone without third party games? Atari? Coleco? Intellivision? Odyssey 2?

My answer Intellivision and I think that is what Mr. Robinson was trying to convey in that interview. So I do not believe he was out to attack Parker Brothers personally but just helping to explain the crash.

Heh, not too secret, really. There's some info on it here (at the bottom of the page) and here as well. It's apparently a Pomona College in-joke that was perpetuated by the Blue Sky Rangers and by Star Trek:TNG.

Check out the first 4 Intelligentvision releases. We continued the tradition. Can you spot them?

I looked, I must be blind.... :P

This might be a good topic discussion - Out of all the systems at that time which ones could have stood alone without third party games? Atari? Coleco? Intellivision? Odyssey 2?

My answer Intellivision and I think that is what Mr. Robinson was trying to convey in that interview.

One could argue that Odyssey^2 basically did stand alone, since the third-party contributions to that system were pretty minimal. Either way, I agree that Intellivision had an uncommonly strong first-party library; almost all of the system's best games were Mattel or INTV, and many of the better third-party games were as good or better on other systems.

If all of the third-party games for Intellivision magically disappeared (not counting homebrews, BTW!), only Imagic's games would be a severe loss, IMHO -- not just because they made the numerically largest contribution, but because they released more exclusives and seemed very conscientious about developing for the Intellivision, rather than at it, so to speak.

(I'd miss the Interphase games for sentimental reasons, though.)

My answer Intellivision and I think that is what Mr. Robinson was trying to convey in that interview.

One could argue that Odyssey^2 basically did stand alone, since the third-party contributions to that system were pretty minimal. Either way, I agree that Intellivision had an uncommonly strong first-party library; almost all of the system's best games were Mattel or INTV, and many of the better third-party games were as good or better on other systems.

If all of the third-party games for Intellivision magically disappeared (not counting homebrews, BTW!), only Imagic's games would be a severe loss, IMHO -- not just because they made the numerically largest contribution, but because they released more exclusives and seemed very conscientious about developing for the Intellivision, rather than at it, so to speak.

(I'd miss the Interphase games for sentimental reasons, though.)

I don´t want to miss Activision, Parker and Atarisoft also...