IGNORED

Most overused words on EBay

Brad2600

There are quite a few things that annoy me about EBay. I'm sure many of you have the same gripes with EBay. Follow along:

-Morons who sell games individually, instead of in lots.

I think there's more money to be made in lots and lots are just a better value overall

-Morons who list EVERY game they sell as "rare" or "vintage".

Think of it...if Atari buried TONS of E.T cartridges in a landfill, how can an E.T cartridge be worth anything at all? Other people tend to list VERY common games as rare. People should do a bit of research before posting something as "rare".

-Snipers

-Good stuff that doesn't have a BIN

I hate it when there's something I really want and there's no BIN option.

Anyone have any gripes of their own?

I hate to say it, but after doing half a dozen attempted ebay deals and only ever succeeding by using BIN, I think sniping is just a way of life. I wouldn't even bother looking at an item now if I didn't think I could be awake and at the computer when the auction ended so I could snipe.... and since I'm pretty forgetful about that sort of thing, I stick with BIN's and half.com.

Rob

I used to think that Sniping was wrong. In fact, my first topic here was about sniping and how I disagreed with it.

Now I know that there is nothing wrong with sniping. It prevents pointless bidding wars. Just put the MAXIMUM amount of money you are willing to bid, not just the minimum bid. If you put down the minimum bid, then I could argue that YOU are the cowardly one.

It helps a lot to place your bid at the end of the auction, because some people don't want to lose an item and will keep bidding and bidding until they win that item. If multiple people place a bid at the end of the auction, then the person with the highest bid wins. Nothing wrong with that. You can only get sniped on an auction if you didn't put a high enough maximum bid.

I also don't know why you don't like it when people sell their games individualy. It helps me when I'm only interested in one game in a lot. Also, the option to combine shipping usually gets me bidding on several games from that seller.

The BIN option is gone when someone places the first bid. There will always be some moron who bids the minimum bid on an auction with BIN and takes away the BIN option.

Other than that, I do hate keyword spamming or psychological tricks like putting LOOK on all their items.

SNiping is the best way to get things cheap - nothing wrong with it.

i hate paying shipping. Mainly becuase almost everyone over charges. and later on the seller cries out "labor costs" or "gas money" kiss my ass

thats my gripe :)

i hate paying shipping. Mainly becuase almost everyone over charges. and later on the seller cries out "labor costs" or "gas money" kiss my ass

It depends on the situation. If they're using quality packing materials

(not wrinkled cardboard boxes and wadded up newspaper) that stuff

isn't free, and not really cheap either. Split up among all the packages,

it's fair to add $1-2 (for a single cartridge) to $5-$10 (for a whole system)

if the seller is using good stuff.

However, creative recycling can keep costs down, and working at a place

where people throw away good (and sometimes brand new) boxes

and packing materials can help. :)

Personally, I try to charge actual shipping according to ups.com and

usps.com. I don't mind covering packaing costs when someone buys

something from me that's $20 or more, but when someone wins a

game for $1.50 and it costs me $2 to pack it up, that's no way to

sell stuff.

I still eat those packing costs since it's rare for something

to sell so cheaply, but I think it's fair for someone who sells a lot of

cheap items will want the buyer to pay for ALL shipping costs, not just

the price on the USPS receipt, IF the seller makes it clear in the

auction.

i know forsure that the USPS offers TONS of stuff for free. tons of different Boxes, different tape, labels, slips, materials, just about everything, but yet some people complain that Priority shipping from St Louis to my house in NY for a small VCD card costs 7.00 with delivery confirmation.... it came 4.25.....

and did i mention that some people insist that they pay money for stuff from the USPS when its noted that its FREE?

Actually you can get Delivery Confirmation online for free so we never charge for that in the auction, everyone gets it no matter what. It's a good way to protect our interests. And anything big we find out the actual shipping cost, and if we over charge we usually throw the difference in the box.

How are you guys getting all this for free?

I think the priority and express boxes and envelopes

are free, last time I checked.

However, the "Ready Post" boxes, bubble wrap, tape, etc

are not free in the post offices, in fact, they're pretty

expensive (which is why I buy my stuff elsewhere).

Maybe it's just the DC-area post offices?

Also, anytime I get delivery confirmation, it's $.45 for

priority mail and $.55 otherwise. How do you get that for free?

Seriously, what am I doing wrong? If I can get this stuff for

free tell me how! :)

Here's the link for the free Delivery confirmation:

http://shiplabel.usps.com/cgi-bin/api/ship...pping_label.cgi

It's kind of hard to get to from the main site.

And you can order priority boxes and priority tape free from the USPS site as well. Although these can't be used for international shipping.

Bubble wrap is not free just use newpaper :D

Not really worth the $5,000 fine / 6 mos imprisonment IMHO :!: Uline and WBSShelving.com have good prices. Be sure to check shipping on this stuff first if you buy it on ebay, having distributed shipping like ULine makes a big difference.

Also you should be able to find styro peanuts locally if you need them, like 3 cubic yards for $20 or so.. air popped real popcorn works good too, can be cheaper depending on where you are, and it's biodegradable :)

I use boxes that I find at work. It's much cheaper. I also reuse packing materials that come with the things I win on EBay..also much cheaper. Newspaper works good if you use a lot of it and you fold it to act as a cushion for the item.

Here's the link for the free Delivery confirmation:  

http://shiplabel.usps.com/cgi-bin/api/ship...pping_label.cgi

It's kind of hard to get to from the main site.

Thanks, I'd never even heard of that service. I'll try it

next time I use USPS!

Be careful when you use it... it took months for our PO clerks to get the hang of it and they kept trying to charge us for it. All they need to do is scan the bar code and when the package reaches it's destination they scan it , viola..

Sniping is a part of Ebay. There are web sites who specialize in sniping services that you can use if you really want to win an item.

I prefer it when people list their games separately. It keeps the overall price of shipping down. How many Combat and Pac-Man carts do I really need? I'll usually avoid large lots of games unless there's a very rare game included in the lot or I need most of the games.

The biggest pet peeve of mine is when someone bids 0.01 on an item that had a low BIN to begin with and sellers who refuse to combine shipping.

What ticks me off is the pparent lack of BINS on things I want to buy, putting me at the mercy of the snipers. I'm not rich, and I hate the extreme disadvantage lack of BINs give me when bidding on an auction. Either I end up overpaying, or the sniper steals (yes, steals) the auction from me. I'm so pissed off about this. :x :x :x