IGNORED

Question for INTV Experts.

voltron

I was watching one of Intellivisiondudes videos and the guy mentioned INTV3 (not system 3) He mentioned that the INTV3 was suppose to have the voice module built in and other features. What were the other features it was suppose to have? Are there pics of what they planned for it to look like? Are there any links that discuss the features? I am curious what all the features were suppose to be of the unreleased INTV3 and any pics that may be out there of the propoased device.

Thanks.

I was watching one of Intellivisiondudes videos and the guy mentioned INTV3 (not system 3) He mentioned that the INTV3 was suppose to have the voice module built in and other features. What were the other features it was suppose to have? Are there pics of what they planned for it to look like? Are there any links that discuss the features? I am curious what all the features were suppose to be of the unreleased INTV3 and any pics that may be out there of the propoased device.

Thanks.

http://www.intellivisionworld.com/English/Hardware/Mattel-Intellivision-III.asp

Thanks.

I made such a video? give me the link since i make so many videos i don't remember them all.

Thanks.

I made such a video? give me the link since i make so many videos i don't remember them all.

sorry, a link you posted to a video.

The only man who knew exactly about the top secret project INTV3 was Dave Chandler who died some time ago.

His daughter and son in low inherited several boxes full of papers, projects and various stuff, so probably now they're the only people who could provide better informations about it (http://papaintellivision.com/).

I see this thread developing in the same lines as a previous one, so I feel compelled to shortcut it:

In the Papa Intellivision website there is a treasure trove of information, including some very detailed technical specifications for this Intellivision III project.

It is very interesting to read (if you are into that sort of thing), from a "what could have been" perspective, or to reminisce on the technology of the past, and the challenges they faced.

However, it is not interesting enough to attempt to build it (you see, these threads tend to go in this direction). Not because it is impractical, but for the specific reason that it never existed.

Designing a machine of such complexity is hard enough, why would anybody want to intentionally hobble it with arbitrary limitations imposed at the time, when there is really no emotional attachment to a machine that never was? More interesting would be to build a modern machine.

Better yet, we deal with the limitations of the ones we know out of sheer nostalgia and passion for recapturing our youth.

All that said, the Intellivision III would have kicked some serious a$$ back in the early 1980s.

dZ.

• Like 1

The only man who knew exactly about the top secret project INTV3 was Dave Chandler who died some time ago.

His daughter and son in low inherited several boxes full of papers, projects and various stuff, so probably now they're the only people who could provide better informations about it (http://papaintellivision.com/).

I see this thread developing in the same lines as a previous one, so I feel compelled to shortcut it:

In the Papa Intellivision website there is a treasure trove of information, including some very detailed technical specifications for this Intellivision III project.

It is very interesting to read (if you are into that sort of thing), from a "what could have been" perspective, or to reminisce on the technology of the past, and the challenges they faced.

However, it is not interesting enough to attempt to build it (you see, these threads tend to go in this direction). Not because it is impractical, but for the specific reason that it never existed.

Designing a machine of such complexity is hard enough, why would anybody want to intentionally hobble it with arbitrary limitations imposed at the time, when there is really no emotional attachment to a machine that never was? More interesting would be to build a modern machine.

Better yet, we deal with the limitations of the ones we know out of sheer nostalgia and passion for recapturing our youth.

All that said, the Intellivision III would have kicked some serious a$$ back in the early 1980s.

dZ.

Nice shortcut

dZ.

Nice shortcut

Yeah, it takes about 25 posts for someone to say "I wonder if it can be re-created or emulated with modern technology"? :)

Nice short-cut indeed.

Yeah, it takes about 25 posts for someone to say "I wonder if it can be re-created or emulated with modern technology"? :)

The answer is "yes", of course, if you can find the person with the time, skills and most importantly inclination. I think my standard answer to those who would ask me if I'd do it is that I have plenty to do that's far further up my list, so why don't you go do it?

When people see the time investment (large) vs. the potential payoff (intellectual curiosity fulfilled), they tend to realize why I'm more interested in sticking to making games for the real systems.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...
On 8/20/2012 at 12:01 PM, Alex.Pace said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HloOBYPwlmU

On 8/20/2012 at 12:57 PM, DZ-Jay said:

Full hardware emulators did exist and the first programs for it were nearing completion. The graphics chip was in layout. Layout was far enough along that Valeski considered having it finished when he ran out of his stock of the original Intellivision chipset.

• Like 2