IGNORED

Starpath newbie asks why tapes don't work

Mind Master

Pirate a pirate copy ? Huh ?  :?

Hold on... You're obviously not familiar with Stella Gets A New Brain... It is not a pirate copy! It was fully licensed from Bridgestone Multimedia (and permission granted by Atari for the first version, since they still had some hold over the rights then). This is a fully legitimate collection of Starpath games, unlike any of source except the original tapes.

where can you still get them from?

Just look earlier in the thread -- I give the address.

I got one with my cuttle cart, but the cd had a hole in it, and no one wanted to offer me ANY customer service (no replies to emails, etc.)

"Hole in it"? Say what? I assume (like Thomas :-) that you don't mean the center spindle-hole...

Pirate a pirate copy ? Huh ?  :?

Hold on... You're obviously not familiar with Stella Gets A New Brain... It is not a pirate copy! It was fully licensed from Bridgestone Multimedia (and permission granted by Atari for the first version, since they still had some hold over the rights then). This is a fully legitimate collection of Starpath games, unlike any of source except the original tapes.

I have 2 shrinkwrapped copies of that CD, nowhere on that cover is a copyright or any other information about licensing, where can I find legal information about it ?

I have 2 shrinkwrapped copies of that CD, nowhere on that cover is a copyright or any other information about licensing, where can I find legal information about it ?

Well, I don't have my CD handy, but I'd guess the legal info is probably inside the shrinkwrap. ;)

From the Stella Gets a New Brain FAQ:

5.1 Does this mean the Starpath games are public domain?

It took some subtle negotiation to get the permission to produce this CD legally and by the book.  This CD does not signal that the games are suddenly public domain or freely distributable, therefore I will frown upon any effort to upload the Starpath games onto web sites (we've had some close-calls, with lots of nasty email exchanges to boot.)  Other ROM images, it's really too late to do anything, but the rights of these games have been well established.

From the face for my version 2.0 CD:

"This compilation (P) & © 1999 CyberPuNKS

Some contents © 1994 Bridgestone Multimedia, Inc. used under permission.

All rights of the manufacturer and of the owner of the recorded work reserved. Unauthorized copying of this disc prohibited."

More detailed info from the FAQ previously referenced.

I have a starpath Supercharger that still works. Some awesome games on it. I only have the first seven though. :(

There are a lot of things that may be factors. If your Supercharger does work to begin with (it should say "Press Play on Tape" or something to that extent with dots floating in the background, or mine does anyways) If that's working, the first, most obvious thing is the tape.

Most players will play them, Unless you have an old player with a speed setting. Make sure the volume is up high, so the machine can hear it. If you think the tape may be worn out, play it without the supercharger hooked up and listen to it. It should play a constant stream of something like 3 tones at different intervals and a long beeep at the begining and end of the tape.

If you don't hear that (or hear the golden oldies or some crap instead) then the tape's shot. If the tape appears to play fine, try the other side. It plays the same thing, only slower, so if your tape player sucks, it'll still be readable for your supercharger.

If the super charger works, and the tape plays, plug in earphones, make sure the earphone jack isn't screwed up on your player. If that's Ok, then, it's possible, that the wire that connects the Supercharger to the tape player is broken. It may look fine on the outside, but to much flexing and the wire can break. Fortunately, this is easy to fix, by someone good with a soldering iron. I won't get into detail about that though.

Try everything first. Maybe you need new tapes, or it's possible the Supercharger just needs cleaning. Anyways, it is possible for the ram in the Supercharger to simply be dead. (or whatever it puts the games in when you load one) It's probably fixable, but that takes someone who knows about how that crap works, and I aint one of them.

I got one with my cuttle cart, but the cd had a hole in it, and no one wanted to offer me ANY customer service (no replies to emails, etc.)

"Hole in it"? Say what? I assume (like Thomas :-) that you don't mean the center spindle-hole...

Just look earlier in the thread, I already answered the 'hole in it' part.

I had already tried the address you gave earlier, which was why I asked (little FYI, hozer is gone,) where can I get another working one?

I had already tried the address you gave earlier, which was why I asked (little FYI, hozer is gone,) where can I get another working one?

I got my Stella CD from Randy after he closed Hozer. Though I did put my order in right before he closed. It took about two and a half months from the time I ordered. Patience.

Just look earlier in the thread, I already answered the 'hole in it' part.

When you say "topside" it sounds like a nick, not a hole. I mean, does it look round, irregular? I've not seen anything like that.

I had already tried the address you gave earlier, which was why I asked (little FYI, hozer is gone) where can I get another working one?

Hozer is NOT gone, only the website. He's still doing business via the mailing address. I'll double check so that if he does stop that too, I'll take over distributing the remaining CDs.