IGNORED

cleaning Keyboard Component connectors

y-bot

What would you use to clean the cartridge slot and the dummy cartridge that plugs in in to the Intellivision console? I've sprayed contact cleaner in there but I'm still having no luck. The screen is just black and pushing the reset button produces some garbage on the screen but it never goes to the startup screen. I bought it as working a few years ago but I've never been able to get it to boot up. Going to help someone test a couple tonight that may be for sale soon and I was hoping I could get mine working first but there could be some other issue.

Thanks!

A silly question: Are you plugging the Master Component into the power connector inside the unit or into a separate power plug?

As I recall, the power supply on the MC/KC combo is pretty wild. There's a 1:1 isolation transformer that is always "hot" that puts the MC/KC 120v into its own local 120v domain. A power-good signal goes from that "dummy cart" through the ribbon, across the KC's main board, to the KC's power supply board. That "power-good" signal then turns the KC on.

It could be that the MC is coming on but the KC is staying shut off because this "power-good" signal isn't getting through.

Also, are you trying this with a cartridge plugged in to the KC, or with the KC alone? I would try with the KC alone first. I'm pretty certain it does not require a cartridge to come up (unlike the MC).

One additional detail: The Intellicart is known to be incompatible with the KC (as are a number of homebrews). Frank, Chad and I discovered this when Frank and I (mostly Frank) were doing some reverse engineering work on the KC. I can't remember if Chad made the CC3 compatible with the KC based on what we learned. I think he did, but I can't be certain. (Not willing to drag out my KC to try.)

There were two issues with the Intellicart:

1. The cartridge connector supplies two copies of the bus control lines, and has inputs for bus control lines. The KC uses the copies on the top side of the connector to modify bus cycles going into the MC. (Most cartridges just have a little "rainbow" there that connects the top-side inputs to the top-side outputs.) As I recall, the Intellicart uses one of these lines directly, and that causes problems with the KC, since the KC's cartridge port only provides valid bus controls on the copy of the lines on the bottom of the cart.
  2. The Mattel cartridge header (at location $5000) that I provided for the Intellicart (and also used in a few homebrews) stores $00, $01 in the first two words. I didn't know it at the time, but this turns out to be a "magic" signature that the KC EXEC looks for, causing it to jump to code immediately after the signature, if my memory is correct. Thus, the Intellicart title screen never comes up.

Live and learn, I suppose. :-)

A silly question: Are you plugging the Master Component into the power connector inside the unit or into a separate power plug?

As I recall, the power supply on the MC/KC combo is pretty wild. There's a 1:1 isolation transformer that is always "hot" that puts the MC/KC 120v into its own local 120v domain. A power-good signal goes from that "dummy cart" through the ribbon, across the KC's main board, to the KC's power supply board. That "power-good" signal then turns the KC on.

It could be that the MC is coming on but the KC is staying shut off because this "power-good" signal isn't getting through.

Also, are you trying this with a cartridge plugged in to the KC, or with the KC alone? I would try with the KC alone first. I'm pretty certain it does not require a cartridge to come up (unlike the MC).

If I plug the Intellivision console power cord in to the KC the console still works fine. I just don't get anything when I go through the cartridge slot on the KC. I was using a Tron Deadly Discs cart and the Intellivision console works flawlessly. Anything you have used to successfully clean the cartridge slot? I think I already cleaned the dummy cart connector with an abrasive eraser.

One additional detail: The Intellicart is known to be incompatible with the KC (as are a number of homebrews). Frank, Chad and I discovered this when Frank and I (mostly Frank) were doing some reverse engineering work on the KC. I can't remember if Chad made the CC3 compatible with the KC based on what we learned. I think he did, but I can't be certain. (Not willing to drag out my KC to try.)

There were two issues with the Intellicart:

1. The cartridge connector supplies two copies of the bus control lines, and has inputs for bus control lines. The KC uses the copies on the top side of the connector to modify bus cycles going into the MC. (Most cartridges just have a little "rainbow" there that connects the top-side inputs to the top-side outputs.) As I recall, the Intellicart uses one of these lines directly, and that causes problems with the KC, since the KC's cartridge port only provides valid bus controls on the copy of the lines on the bottom of the cart.

2. The Mattel cartridge header (at location $5000) that I provided for the Intellicart (and also used in a few homebrews) stores $00, $01 in the first two words. I didn't know it at the time, but this turns out to be a "magic" signature that the KC EXEC looks for, causing it to jump to code immediately after the signature, if my memory is correct. Thus, the Intellicart title screen never comes up.

Live and learn, I suppose. :-)

Most of that is over my head but funny that I heard Frank talking about reverse engineering the KC a lot at CGE when he was trying to get the tape unstuck from my friend's KC.

What would you use to clean the cartridge slot and the dummy cartridge that plugs in in to the Intellivision console? I've sprayed contact cleaner in there but I'm still having no luck. The screen is just black and pushing the reset button produces some garbage on the screen but it never goes to the startup screen. I bought it as working a few years ago but I've never been able to get it to boot up. Going to help someone test a couple tonight that may be for sale soon and I was hoping I could get mine working first but there could be some other issue.

Thanks!

Wait...what? "Going to help someone test a couple tonight that may be for sale soon" :-o ....please, continue... :-D if that certain someone were interested in selling one of these, I might know a guy....just sayin.

Thanks!

Wait...what? "Going to help someone test a couple tonight that may be for sale soon" :-o ....please, continue... :-D if that certain someone were interested in selling one of these, I might know a guy....just sayin.

These will potentially be in the Portland Retro Gaming Expo auction at the end of September. The owner has heard that they have sold for $3000 so they have high expectations. I told them that they are not worth that much unless they have extras like the box or are 100% functional. I let them know that I paid $1500 or so for mine and they know that there is already one probably available at PRGE for $2000 (same one that was at CGE.)

If I plug the Intellivision console power cord in to the KC the console still works fine. I just don't get anything when I go through the cartridge slot on the KC. I was using a Tron Deadly Discs cart and the Intellivision console works flawlessly. Anything you have used to successfully clean the cartridge slot? I think I already cleaned the dummy cart connector with an abrasive eraser.

I haven't needed to clean my own KC, so I can't claim any "successes". I was just trying to rule out other possible failure modes. If you've cleaned the dummy-cart connector with an abrasive eraser, you might follow it up with 99% rubbing alcohol and Q-tips to remove any eraser residue. The eraser might get rid of the oxidation, but it can leave its own goo behind. (That's been my experience with using erasers to clean card edges.)

{...}

Most of that is over my head but funny that I heard Frank talking about reverse engineering the KC a lot at CGE when he was trying to get the tape unstuck from my friend's KC.

Yeah, I posted all the technical details because, well, I enjoy technical details. I'm sure if I just said "The Intellicart doesn't work with the KC" someone was bound to ask. :-)

I haven't needed to clean my own KC, so I can't claim any "successes". I was just trying to rule out other possible failure modes. If you've cleaned the dummy-cart connector with an abrasive eraser, you might follow it up with 99% rubbing alcohol and Q-tips to remove any eraser residue. The eraser might get rid of the oxidation, but it can leave its own goo behind. (That's been my experience with using erasers to clean card edges.)

{...}

Yeah, I posted all the technical details because, well, I enjoy technical details. I'm sure if I just said "The Intellicart doesn't work with the KC" someone was bound to ask. :-)

Whenever I see $ and it isn't about money I know it's over my head. This is Toby by the way, the guy that kept bugging you about the Christmas Carol carts at CGE during setup.

Thanks!

These will potentially be in the Portland Retro Gaming Expo auction at the end of September. The owner has heard that they have sold for $3000 so they have high expectations. I told them that they are not worth that much unless they have extras like the box or are 100% functional. I let them know that I paid $1500 or so for mine and they know that there is already one probably available at PRGE for $2000 (same one that was at CGE.)

Hmmm. Portland is about a 4-5 hour drive....was the one at CGE a loose, functioning unit?

Thanks!

Hmmm. Portland is about a 4-5 hour drive....was the one at CGE a loose, functioning unit?

The CGE unit has a problem where the video is being displayed up and to the left. Cassette drive does something but not working correctly. Bare unit, nothing else included. The two I looked at tonight that are possibly going to be at PRGE both include the rf cable adapter thingy and the manual. One functions correctly besides the cassette drive, the other just displays a black screen like mine.

Thanks!

The CGE unit has a problem where the video is being displayed up and to the left. Cassette drive does something but not working correctly. Bare unit, nothing else included. The two I looked at tonight that are possibly going to be at PRGE both include the rf cable adapter thingy and the manual. One functions correctly besides the cassette drive, the other just displays a black screen like mine.

Just asked my wife when was the last time she went to Portland? :-D "Maybe we should go for a weekend in late September, I hear they have great outlet malls there and no tax. " :P

Man those cassette drives must have a fail rate of around 100%.... :?

Thanks!

I was told at CGE that it was a working unit. It is loose, though, and looks a bit... well, used. Regarding the tape drive, they said that they have never tried it, but that it probably didn't work, as it was the flakiest part of the unit.

-dZ.

Man those cassette drives must have a fail rate of around 100%.... :?

It was rather high. I recall reading in Papa-Intellivision's treasure trove of historical documents that it was one of the most unreliable parts during QA.

I spent some time working on my KC tonight. I reseated all the chips and cleaned all the internal connectors. Still no change. Once when I was cycling it on and off I heard a buzzing coming from the cassette drive. All I get is a black screen that changes slightly when you hit the reset button. It never boots up to the green screen.