IGNORED

collector addiction?

voltron

How many here have collector addiction, That is some one who checks auctions sites, check misspellings at auction site. .zooms in on pictures to see if its a variant. How many here have a budget just for collecting games?

How many here are just gamers and not really collectors?

How many here are just sellers, looking see what they can sell a collector?

I'm definitely a hybrid gamer/collector. I don't really care to chase variants very much, and my main goal in collecting is to have legitimate ownership of all the games I want to play, rather than just downloading the ROMs (although Intellivision is one system where you can legitimately purchase most ROMs). That said, I'm only concerned about that legitimacy for a couple of systems (Intellivision and older DOS games mainly). I haven't bothered to collect physical games for other systems even though I've gotten their ROMs. But I don't play those others very often, so I don't consider that level of collecting worth it.

I'm definitely a hybrid gamer/collector. I don't really care to chase variants very much, and my main goal in collecting is to have legitimate ownership of all the games I want to play, rather than just downloading the ROMs (although Intellivision is one system where you can legitimately purchase most ROMs). That said, I'm only concerned about that legitimacy for a couple of systems (Intellivision and older DOS games mainly). I haven't bothered to collect physical games for other systems even though I've gotten their ROMs. But I don't play those others very often, so I don't consider that level of collecting worth it.

I'm the same. Except that I will not pretend that I will even try to own arcade cabinets for each of the over 3K ROMs I have for MAME. (What can I say, they were just there, conveniently scattered throughout the Interwebz, ready for download by a custom wget script... I was weak...)

Everything else, I try to legitimately own. However, like Rick, I aim for the stuff I want to play with, which is most of the stuff I had or played with as a kid. This includes not only Intellivision, but movies, music, Star Wars Legos, some DOS games, and even some toys.

And all of it has been opened and played with, at least once--even the Legos. Especially the Legos. :)

I'm the same. Except that I will not pretend that I will even try to own arcade cabinets for each of the over 3K ROMs I have for MAME. (What can I say, they were just there, conveniently scattered throughout the Interwebz, ready for download by a custom wget script... I was weak...)

Everything else, I try to legitimately own. However, like Rick, I aim for the stuff I want to play with, which is most of the stuff I had or played with as a kid. This includes not only Intellivision, but movies, music, Star Wars Legos, some DOS games, and even some toys.

And all of it has been opened and played with, at least once--even the Legos. Especially the Legos. :)

Legos and Intellivision, That was my childhood :)

"Legos and Intellivision", you just described my childhood as well! Now I am passing both passions down to my daughter, I got her a Intellivision of her own and during christmas break we buy one of the large Lego sets and put one together.

I just cataloged my collection and am only half way to the 125 club sadly. Looked like a lot more in that large plastic tub :-D

I have been on ebay constantly trying to snag some incredible deal but not much luck so far....

I say I am a collector.

My wife says I have a problem.

Mike from Morgantown

My wife says the same ... my only saving grace is that I sell more than I keep these days. That way I can pass off my "slight" obsession as a money making venture. I've been slowly building my collection but I doubt that I will ever make the 125 club. Not sure how I could tell my wife, "Hey honey, look at the game worth $1,200 sitting on my shelf ... isn't that cool!"

Yeah ... that would go over well. ;)

I have a Stadium Mud Buggies and Super Pro Wrestling that i made the mistake of pointing out to my wife as being worth some money and of course she does not understand my want to "keep" them.

I'm very lucky, then. I gave my wife a rundown of my childhood memories with an Intellivision and my wonder and fantasies inspired by tales of the Keyboard Component back then, just before I happen to also mention that one was for auction in e-Bay. She agreed that being probably a once-in-a-lifetime chance, and a childhood dream, that it would be worth it to bid on it.

We settled on a maximum of $1,000.00 USD, expecting probably $700.00 or so. It eventually sold for $1,500.00 USD. Had I known back then the typical rate, I would definitely had made my maximum bid higher, though perhaps not much higher than that. However, I thought I was about to run into a bidding war as soon as it quickly reached $1,000.00 USD, so I bailed out.

My wife is very understanding if I frame the issue in the appropriate context. It helps to play the nostalgia card, sprinkled with some "losing my youth as I get older," and a bit of "broken dreams and lost fantasies." :)

When that fails, I get the item anyway, and present it as a birthday present to her. My wife is the proud owner of at least one of our Intellivisions, a ColecoVision, an Apple TV, and a few other gadgets and doodads.

"Here, Honey: Happy Birthday!!! WHAT? But I thought you owned the Commodore 64 as a kid! Oh, it must have been me then, sorry... Mind if I use it?" ;)

-dZ

Edited by DZ-Jay

Nice story dZ,

I have used a similar approach when lusting over a new "toy" or "gadget" and often after bringing home a item I thank her for the wonderful present she has just bought me, after all she will find out anyway when reading the credit card statement so there is no point trying to hide it.

Oh, the memories of my single days where one just purchased what was desired with no thought given to explain the purchase.....

Im a collector, though, I collect 'video games' not just Inty or VCS or anything. Right now, my focus is Inty/DOS games/Fallout Merch/3DO games (in that order), but I don't pass up good deals on everything else, or any game under a dollar if I can afford that dollar at that time.

I do play games, though, but when I play games, I tend to get competitive. CAL will do that to you, especially after 3 years of CSS, Q3A and Painkiller. When I play retro games, it is to relax, and sometimes setting up an old console to a new screen, or breaking out an old CRT, or dealing with the Inty disc is just frustrating, so I do generally tend to emulate. That said, I have beat the first three NES Final Fantasy games on my android phone. On my PC, I tend to play new stuff, or emulate old things.

I do have a budget for games, and it is *very* small. I would rather take that small budget and buy a bunch of cheap games, than go out and buy one expensive game. That's one of the big reasons my collection is hovering at 78/125 + Variants. The last inty I bought cost me far too much after a 65$ brokerage fee. (I ended up paying out 130ish for a Sears Super Arcade with 19 games, boxed). The last game purchase I made was 8 PS1 games for 5$. The biggest I made in the last 6 months was 50 PS2 games for 40$. The only things I spent more for were Launch day Portal 2, and Fallout New Vegas Collectors Editions.

Not sure how I could tell my wife, "Hey honey, look at the game worth $1,200 sitting on my shelf ... isn't that cool!"

Yeah ... that would go over well. ;)

Im not sure about that. I had two complete, boxed Earthbounds sitting on my shelf for a long time. No one used to come into my office, so no one had piped up about how expensive they were to her. She would probably have been mad about them, except I sold one, and saved our hides when she had a car accident. She has said nothing about the other one that still sits on my shelf.

I started on the nostagia "I'll get only the games I enjoyed as a kid" which lasted until I got a job lot with a INTV CIB Decathalon in it.

So I collected only those games I enjoyed as a kid AND those I didn't have access to that I knew I would enjoy - until I was introduced to the homebrew scene with Donkey Kong Arcade.

So I collected only those games I enjoyed as a kid and those I didn't have access to that I knew I would enjoy AND any homebrews that I came across (and could afford) - so of course I had to buy an Intellivoice to play SG&R, and have finally landed an ECS to play Flintstones and Super NFL Football. Then I came across AA.

So I have given up any pretense that is limited and will try and get the 125 and homebrews as I can afford them, get any variations that look interesting and knab a keyboard if one appears that's afforable (and I have the spare cash).

I don't live in Melbourne, Australia - the wife says that I live in a state of denial, which apparently is somewhere in Egypt. :?

Edited by stc2009
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a mix gamer/collector. I tend to buy games that I know I'll play. I have complete collections for the 7800, Jaguar, and Lynx. On the 2600 I have plenty of games but not a full collection. On the 5200, Vectrex, and Intellivision I have multicarts and a number of homebrew games. Space is becoming an issue, so I need to be a bit practical and the multicarts do the trick. :) I still will support new releases from homebrewers, however.

This'll test how addicted you all are:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1709119443471?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170911944347&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

You don't see these often (actually this is the first for sale I've ever seen)

I'd like this but not for that price, I'd rather spend that kind of money on a KC. The last one came up for auction I believe a year and a half or two years ago and I think it went for $550 or something like that. I'm pretty sure we documented it in the original eBay roundup thread. I'm too lazy to look for it right now. :)

I'd like this but not for that price, I'd rather spend that kind of money on a KC. The last one came up for auction I believe a year and a half or two years ago and I think it went for $550 or something like that. I'm pretty sure we documented it in the original eBay roundup thread. I'm too lazy to look for it right now. :)

I have to admit that when I saw that (and after seeing the video on it a week or so ago) I went "wow". Then I saw the price and reality kicked in :-o

Edited by stc2009