IGNORED

should I get a 1st gen PS3? for how much?

toptenmaterial

The lasers fail first, but they're easy to replace. The bigger issue is the YLoD. Excessive heat gradually damages the CPU/GPU sockets until the system fails with a brief yellow light at boot. The connections can be 'reflowed' but it's only a short-term fix. Each reflow has a shorter lifespan.

I suspect most daily use systems have failed by now. Unless you know the history, beware of buying a reflowed unit that will fail again in a few months. Even a NOS console won't hold up after prolonged of daily use unless you add thermal paste and extra cooling before using it.

Better off with a PS3 Slim and a separate PS2.

Gee that sounds awful similar to the first three or so 360 models.. :lol:

Gee that sounds awful similar to the first three or so 360 models.. :lol:

My XBOX 360 Elite RRODed once (Mine was purchased the day Halo 3 came out) I sent it back they fixed it for free and gave me a free month of XBL when it only took 10 days or so. been fine ever since and I use it a lot.

My concern now is what to do with my YLOD 60GB unit.

I just received a 60GB Launch PS3 but of course it is a YLOD unit (I got it for free!!!) Sony wants $130 to repair it. What does Sony do to fix it? Is it worth the risk of it failing again? Sony also offered me a PS3 SLIM 120GB for $99 shipped if I give them my Free YLOD PS3 60GB.

What should I do? I love the backwards unit and a working one fetches BIG bucks but I also have a PS2 SLIM and even a PS1 hooked up to a CRT Via component but man that PHAT PS3 with Spiderman font is so cool looking.

Advice?

Does Sony really fix these units or delay the inevitable?

Thanks guys!

I think they do a good job on the 'repair' but I can only speak about myself and this was years ago. They may do things different now.

In my case they replaced mine with a new PS3 60GB model but like I said this was way back in the 2nd year of the PS3. I kind of doubt they give out new models now.

I haven't had an issue since.

Personally think they are trying to make people buy the new models so they can sell more PS2 and classic titles over PSN. Thats why I think the PS4 won't be backwards compatible at all.

Does new firmware kill PS2 and Linux support on older PS3s?

Naw the 20GB's and the 60GB's have the emotion engine which is basically custom PS2 hardware. The 80GB had an emulation setup so it wasn't 100% to begin with. Similar to XBOX 360 not all games worked only popular titles.

Naw the 20GB's and the 60GB's have the emotion engine which is basically custom PS2 hardware. The 80GB had an emulation setup so it wasn't 100% to begin with. Similar to XBOX 360 not all games worked only popular titles.

Since the 80GB was emulation, and the newer units should be no-less capable, they should be able to do the same thing.....only Sony decided against it?

Since the 80GB was emulation, and the newer units should be no-less capable, they should be able to do the same thing.....only Sony decided against it?

Over time most big brand names cost reduce their consoles to hasten the point that it starts to turn a profit. Sony decided to shave off PS2 emulation to close another potential vector for backdoors, development and support costs.

Over time most big brand names cost reduce their consoles to hasten the point that it starts to turn a profit. Sony decided to shave off PS2 emulation to close another potential vector for backdoors, development and support costs.

I see. But it seems silly that once the emulator was created (and it was), then the work is done. I guess you're right about support and potential backdoors. But it seems they should have made this decision when they removed the dinglydang and poodersnatch (ha ha, your words, and I'm still laughing heartily over them) that allowed hardware emulation. The indecision - of including hardware, then removing it in all models, then invoking software emulation in some models (while not in others being sold at the same time), then yanking it altogether - is maddening. Certainly, the emulation issue was decided my committee, eh?

The emulator wasn't 100%. Basically it required that each game to have custom code developed for it to run. Also they are selling hd remakes for $$$$. Last but not least the hardware was created at a loss, even at a launch price of $600.

The more I think about it the more I am leaning to fix my 60 gig the emotion engine is an extremely complicated and convaluted engine just read a ten page lecture on how it works, rediculously over complicated no wonder its gone.

I already explained on the last page why PS2 compatibility disappeared (It was never 100% emulation, all they ever emulated was the Emotion Engine which was the PS2's CPU; and it wasn't removed to close a vulnerability and was done to cut production cost just like why SACD support disappeared and some of the USB ports). Here's that post again.

"Launch model PS3's in North America had the PS2's GPU chip and CPU chip included. Later models before PS2 compatibility was removed completely went to a hybrid hardware/emulation based setup where the Emotion Engine CPU chip was emulated but the PS2's Graphics Synthesizer GPU chip was stlll present [To cut production costs].

If it had been completely emulation based, they'd of never removed it. It was the drive to cut costs even further that killed off PS2 compatibility when the chance to save money by not including the Graphics Synthesizer chip became more attractive financially to Sony than including PS2 BC was."

Edited by Atariboy

I already explained on the last page why PS2 compatibility disappeared (It was never 100% emulation, all they ever emulated was the Emotion Engine which was the PS2's CPU; and it wasn't removed to close a vulnerability and was done to cut production cost just like why SACD support disappeared and some of the USB ports). Here's that post again.

"Launch model PS3's in North America had the PS2's GPU chip and CPU chip included. Later models before PS2 compatibility was removed completely went to a hybrid hardware/emulation based setup where the Emotion Engine CPU chip was emulated but the PS2's Graphics Synthesizer GPU chip was stlll present [To cut production costs].

If it had been completely emulation based, they'd of never removed it. It was the drive to cut costs even further that killed off PS2 compatibility when the chance to save money by not including the Graphics Synthesizer chip became more attractive financially to Sony than including PS2 BC was."

I think they also wanted to re-sell PS2 games to people.

The greedy bastages.

:P

I already explained on the last page why PS2 compatibility disappeared

Thanks, Atariboy. Missed that.

I know nothing of electronics, but after all of this time since the PS2 came out, I'd have figured they could put the entire thing on a single chip, kind of like the NES-on-a-chip. Granted, we're talking about a much more sophisticated piece of hardware here (PS2 vs. NES) but time and semiconductor complexity (and reduced cost for that complexity) march hand-in-hand. R&D costs would still be high, and in the end, not that many people are interested in playing old PS2 games, while simultaneously, people are willing to re-purchase and download those games from the PS2 store.

GT5 XL and Killzone 3 are cheap games these days. I just got a copy of GT5 XL yesterday for $10 for instance ($20 usually, but can be had for $10 during sales).

If there's anything else that they're offering that intrigues you, I'd do a bit of price checking if I were you. Might as well take advantage of that deal and get the most expensive games that interest you instead of two of the cheapest.

GT5 XL and Killzone 3 are cheap games these days. I just got a copy of GT5 XL yesterday for $10 for instance ($20 usually, but can be had for $10 during sales).

If there's anything else that they're offering that intrigues you, I'd do a bit of price checking if I were you. Might as well take advantage of that deal and get the most expensive games that interest you instead of two of the cheapest.

What are the expensive games now?

I don't even know what your taste are, but some of the most recent 1st party releases that are likely candidates for being expensive are Killzone Trilogy, Little Big Planet Karting, and Playstation All-Stars. All are fairly recent 1st party releases that should be hovering around the $40-$60 mark at the average retailer where as I think you could walk out of most any store with your two selections for $40 plus tax on any day of the week (Or around the $20 mark if you watch out for sales).

If even just one is of interest to you it would seem the way to go to get more bang out of this offer. And there are probably plenty of other 1st party releases that typically cost more than $20 as well. And the Killzone Trilogy includes Killzone 3 along with an HD upgrade of the original Killzone, Killzone 2, and all the DLC for Killzone 2 & 3 and would seem like a obvious selection over an older standalone copy of Killzone 3.

Anyways, it was just a thought. There very well might not be any really recent 1st party releases of interest to you that run for more than Gran Turismo 5 does that could bump it. You'd have to answer that for yourself based on what you want to play, but I figured it was worth letting you know that these are cheap games everywhere and that one of your selections has a superior version available now with a lot of extra content. :)

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...

If my PS3 Slim died tomorrow and I got a new replacement and signed in to PSN on it, I would be able to redownload all the games I bought before, right? Obviously any progress would be gone.

Maybe I should look into the backup option?; Is that the cloud save stuff I've been reading about?

If you don't back up and your PS3 crashes your saves are gone. You can re-download your games on the new unit when you register your new unit (register the unit from the main XMB. Up to two PS3's can be registered.) So not a big issue if you don't care about your saves.

If you do care then you should either manually backup your saves to a USB or better yet just use the PS3 backup utility once a month to dump it to USB. If your too lazy to do this then you can subscribe to Plus and each and EVERY game you play on your PS3 will prompt you if you want to save your stuff to the cloud and then you don't have to worry about it ever again. Keep in mind many games have 'locked' saves so you cant back them up without using plus.

Okay I finally messed around with the backup utility for the PS3. I have a 128 gig unit from a few years ago and all my downloaded games and DLC add up to about 100 gigs on the drive. I foolishly thought the backup utility only saved things I couldn't re-download later so I figured a 16 gig memory thumbdrive would do the trick. Nope! I need to have a destination the same size as my hard drive? That seems a bit silly given I can always log back into PSN and redownload the stuff I have bought.

Is there some way to tell the PS3 only save my game saves and not bother with the many gigs of purchases I can always redownload off PSN again?

Okay I finally messed around with the backup utility for the PS3. I have a 128 gig unit from a few years ago and all my downloaded games and DLC add up to about 100 gigs on the drive. I foolishly thought the backup utility only saved things I couldn't re-download later so I figured a 16 gig memory thumbdrive would do the trick. Nope! I need to have a destination the same size as my hard drive? That seems a bit silly given I can always log back into PSN and redownload the stuff I have bought.

Is there some way to tell the PS3 only save my game saves and not bother with the many gigs of purchases I can always redownload off PSN again?

No it unfortunately does the whole thing so you need a hard drive thats big enough. (no way to pick, it just copies your entire content)

500GB USB drives and even lesser ones are around 50-70 bucks (basically the price of a new game).