IGNORED

Harmony Cart Games

I'm not sure if people will like this possibility but I think it's always a cool thing when you give developers more options.

My question: is it possible to glue two separate roms to make one game like the multi-load starpath did?

Maybe in a better way without delay or waiting the player response?

If those are possible, can stella work as the harmony without the need of a single file that combines all roms?

Finally, how would most of us (maybe 70% of all homebrew normal market???) deal with that? Would multiple carts splited in volume I, II ... fill the need to have a real cart release?

How does it sound to launch a game that is Harmony exclusive (nice name for only releasing the roms?!) OR splited in multi-carts (was it done before?)?

I almost put this thread in the Harmony but I thought it's suits better here and this can be the only thread I can start in the programming section :P

--------

I've come with this idea after seeing Sprybug great Mario project. He could add water levels, castle music and many more to his game :thumbsup:

And if the scrolling games start to grow big, I would love to see harmony/mullti-carts :D

Another way to overcome the rom size limit would be to make custom harmony cart with a built-in sd-card that only allows the originals roms...

This would be an expensive cart but a powerfull one...

Can it still be considered an atari cartridge? I think yes, it is a modern one but a cool atari cartridge with virtually unlimited rom size :)

Melody already provides more options.

Melody boards can be built with a 128K Flash chip, replacing the Melody's standard 32K of Flash memory. And if 8K of RAM isn't enough for you, up to 64K of RAM can be added instead. This allows for a Melody board containing 128K of Flash memory and 64K of RAM. And if that's not enough, the Melody can be fitted with an optional EEPROM chip up to 4MB in size!

I'm not positive, but I seem to recall that the contents of the EEPROM chip must be copied into RAM before it can be used so it would be ideal for storing things like level layouts.

• Like 1

Melody already provides more options.

Melody boards can be built with a 128K Flash chip, replacing the Melody's standard 32K of Flash memory. And if 8K of RAM isn't enough for you, up to 64K of RAM can be added instead. This allows for a Melody board containing 128K of Flash memory and 64K of RAM. And if that's not enough, the Melody can be fitted with an optional EEPROM chip up to 4MB in size!

I'm not positive, but I seem to recall that the contents of the EEPROM chip must be copied into RAM before it can be used so it would be ideal for storing things like level layouts.

I didn't know this. That's great news to me!

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure if people will like this possibility but I think it's always a cool thing when you give developers more options.

My question: is it possible to glue two separate roms to make one game like the multi-load starpath did?

Maybe in a better way without delay or waiting the player response?

If those are possible, can stella work as the harmony without the need of a single file that combines all roms?

Finally, how would most of us (maybe 70% of all homebrew normal market???) deal with that? Would multiple carts splited in volume I, II ... fill the need to have a real cart release?

How does it sound to launch a game that is Harmony exclusive (nice name for only releasing the roms?!) OR splited in multi-carts (was it done before?)?

I almost put this thread in the Harmony but I thought it's suits better here and this can be the only thread I can start in the programming section :P

--------

I've come with this idea after seeing Sprybug great Mario project. He could add water levels, castle music and many more to his game :thumbsup:

And if the scrolling games start to grow big, I would love to see harmony/mullti-carts :D

:D

I saw that! :P

I came across this post after looking up 64k, because if I am gonna do a sequel, I want more ROM space amongst other things, because I want an overhead map like in the New Super Mario Bros. and the ability to save progress. Plus I want bigger levels with more sprites to play with. All the things the DPC+ can do...problem though...I only know how to program in Batari BASIC and the DPC+ features in the v1.1 of Batari do not work properly and are really buggy and broken, plus it looks like development for it has ended, which means none of this would be possible in Batari. :(

I've been inspired because I've been playing a lot of New Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 3D Lands on the 3DS lately.

• Like 1

You listen to RT too much about DPC+. ;) Somehow Byte Knight and Jrok don't have insurmountable issues with it. Soon the AA store will be selling BK's first DPC+ release, Epic Adventure.

I'm not saying there aren't warts to work around - there are - but from what I've seen, they can be worked around.

Did he do that with Batari?

• Like 1