IGNORED

Medium Bob's Red Sea Crossing Auction on Ebay.

MediumBob

http://www.nj.com/cu...t_river_default

QUOTE:

"

Travis Kerestesy and Roey Lebkowitz, Vineland natives and owners of Medium Bob’s Curiosity Shop in Philadelphia, stumbled upon the Red Sea Crossings when a friend of theirs gave them a box of Atari games.

Little did they suspect that Red Sea Crossings is considered a Holy Grail of Atari games, having not thought to previously exist until the first copy was found at a garage sale in 2007..."

When asked for any advice he may have for anybody curious about making money off of selling rare items, he kept it simple.

“Look up stuff before you sell it.”

So, I am curious...did they give their "friend" a cut of the profits? :rolling:

eBay doesn't notify about the IRS, that is PayPal. And it would have to be 20K in payments in one year....and 200 transactions

I worry about this...I easily hit 200 transactions a year and with my compulsive console/arcade/pinball machine habit I'm sure I'll hit 20k since I swap stuff out quite often and accept paypal on many of the transactions...does anyone have a link explaining how this works a little better, am I going to get hit with a large tax bill? Kind of lame since I don't really turn a profit, if anything I lose money...Grrrrr......

I worry about this...I easily hit 200 transactions a year and with my compulsive console/arcade/pinball machine habit I'm sure I'll hit 20k since I swap stuff out quite often and accept paypal on many of the transactions...does anyone have a link explaining how this works a little better, am I going to get hit with a large tax bill? Kind of lame since I don't really turn a profit, if anything I lose money...Grrrrr......

That's because your name is not "ebay"

eBay doesn't notify about the IRS, that is PayPal. And it would have to be 20K in payments in one year....and 200 transactions

Don't worry, the bank is required by law to notify the IRS of any transaction over $10,000.00. It is called a Currency Transaction Report (CTR). So, the government will know about both of these sales and the sellers need to keep records and expect to pay taxes on the profits. Medium Bob's has the advantage of rolling the profit into their business and they can offset the value with any losses or other business expenses.

The key to this is to keep accurate records. Make sure you know your costs. You only have to pay taxes on the profit...if there is one.

The key to this is to keep accurate records. Make sure you know your costs. You only have to pay taxes on the profit...if there is one.

Okay, thats a huge relief :) No, definetily not hitting 20k in profit :) If anything due to my impatience and must have it now purge attitude I have lost 20k, lol

Don't worry, the bank is required by law to notify the IRS of any transaction over $10,000.00. It is called a Currency Transaction Report (CTR). So, the government will know about both of these sales and the sellers need to keep records and expect to pay taxes on the profits. Medium Bob's has the advantage of rolling the profit into their business and they can offset the value with any losses or other business expenses.

yep, that's why if either of the sellers were smart, they would have sold privately, on a direct deposit instalment basis, avoiding paypal fees and the IRS. Preferrably over multiple financial years or using a non-working spouse or friend to receive the payments. Depending on their tax bracket, they may end up losing a fair chunk in tax. Or they could have moved to Australia where sale of personal use assets are exempt from tax and where computer games still dont classify as taxable "collectables".

Starting in 2011, PayPal is required by the IRS to report the sales of goods and services for customers who, in a single year receive:

• More than $20,000, AND
  • 200 or more payments.

The new IRS 6050W changes apply to all payment providers, including PayPal. This includes payments received after January 1, 2011, with the first reports sent to the IRS in early 2012.

You can find more information and FAQs about the new IRS 6050W requirements on the PayPal IRS 6050W website.