IGNORED

Why we hate the N64 controller ;)

SlowCoder

I had a modded xbox at one time with an N64 emulator. I can say beyond a question the xbox contorller worked much better for N64 games than the N64 controller did. As a matter of fact I might have to get another modded xbox just to play Mario 64 again. Wow, when I think of it that way it makes it really bad. I must really hate that controller more than even I thought if I'm willing to buy and mod and xbox to play N64 games I already own just to get around the controller.Yeah, thats bad.

Just found this controller. Looks like it might solve the problem with some games, but I can't imagine how it plays things like Mario 64. I might just have to get one of these to try out. Looks very interesting to be sure. This might make playing Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub Zero much easier, and I have always like that game for some odd reason.

n64_arcade_shark.jpg

If you're that desperate to get away from the stock N64 controller, just buy a Hori. It will probably be the most expensive controller you've ever bought used (Having never been released here), but they're extremely well liked and don't have durability issues. As I recall with mine, they run used for about what you'd pay for a new 1st party gamepad for a current gen console (Or a Wiimote and nunchuck in the case of the Wii),

Only thing not ideal on it is the d-pad location. But the d-pad is so rarely used that it's hardly a negative. And the stock N64 controller's d-pad is excellent so you could just always return to that controller for the occasional N64 release that calls for digital control inputs.

HoriPadMini003.jpg

Edited by Atariboy

As soon as I saw that picture I knew I wanted that controller. Then I read the post. You were right. For the most part that would solve the problem for me. I could deal with that just fine and it would be a marked improvement over the original for all I can see. Thanks for telling me about that one.

If you're that desperate to get away from the stock N64 controller, just buy a Hori. It will probably be the most expensive controller you've ever bought used (Having never been released here), but they're extremely well liked and don't have durability issues. As I recall with mine, they run used for about what you'd pay for a new 1st party gamepad for a current gen console (Or a Wiimote and nunchuck in the case of the Wii),

Only thing not ideal on it is the d-pad location. But the d-pad is so rarely used that it's hardly a negative. And the stock N64 controller's d-pad is excellent so you could just always return to that controller for the occasional N64 release that calls for digital control inputs.

HoriPadMini003.jpg

That Hori controller looks way too small, and the D-Pad placement is whack.

My main problem with the controller isn't just the uncomfortable hardware itself, but the programming and use by the Developers. It is my fault for getting used to current gen console gaming Analog Stick control/programming 'before' playing the first Analog stick based systems such as the N64, Saturn/etc..

The Controls for FPSs on the N64 are not condusive to comfort, nor to function. It is a CF of epic proportions... it's the main reason I have yet to enjoy what the system has to offer. The control schemes are the poorest I've seen for any system. And I've noticed that the majority of the games (that could have easily given the option, do not... they force the analog stick for movement) do not give the option to use the D-Pad for movement controls, which is beeeeeyond retarded and uncalled for.

Imho, the poor control schemes for most of the games combined with the uncomfortable controller are the main reasons the system isn't more popular (more fondly remembered) today.

It has some amazing exclusives too. I'm hoping the SuperPad64 fixes all my issues... I'm afraid to try it out for fear of being further disappointed. All the other alternatives look meh... so I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to enjoy the amazing Library this system has to offer. :_(

Edited by Protoplasym

I actually just purchased a hori minipad last week... It's honestly unbelievable in how much better it is.. It's quite small and that is probably the biggest knock against it(beyond the d-pad, which I've only ever used in Dr Mario or any of the N64s many tetris titles anyways). It's joystick is also far more sensitive than the stock n64 controller, which makes a big difference in goldeneye or something like f-zero X. But after a 5 minute adjustment period you'll never want to pick up the old ones again.. In short, I absolutely love the thing.

I hate it so much that I have 17 of the damn things! Seriously, when it was new I had no problem with it, but nowadays it seems sort of akward until I play a while. The estimate of a third of used controllers having worn sticks sounds about right. RecycledGamer has sold controllers in the past that have the stick replaced with a shorter Gamecube style stick and they play great with a slightly shorter throw and hopefully will last longer. Either way, with my giant rainbow selection of controllers, I won't wear them out soon if I rotate them.

So, for those replacement sticks on eBay, does anyone have an account for how well they are for racing/FPS games? I really do want to have working gamepads next time I do a convention game room or have a gaming party with some Mario Kart or GoldenEye.

Like I said the replacements are awesome. I bought a pair for my N64 controllers so that I could play Mario Kart with my brother while he was back visiting for Christmas last year.

Not everyone thinks so. I've seen several threads about the two or three different replacement models out there that weren't nearly as fond of them. I've also seen one out there with some modding instructions to get proper sensitivity out of one of these models (As I recall, I read that wherever the message board that Everdrive discussion takes place at is... I forget the name of the message board but maybe someone could track it down if it interest them).

Here are a few that I pulled up with a quick Google search.

http://www.assembler...hp/t-37361.html

http://neogaf.com/fo...ad.php?t=458551

Edited by Atariboy