IGNORED

Sniper DID IT AGAIN@

Inky

I snipe and I snipe my max. That way, if I loose it's no big deal 'cuz I wasn't willing to spend a penny more on the item than what I sniped it at. However, if I proxy bid my max it juyst gives the other guy a few days to nickle and dime me up over my max. That can't happen with a snipe. I bet that I go home with 75% of the stuff I bid on too.

I snipe and I snipe my max.  That way, if I loose it's no big deal 'cuz I wasn't willing to spend a penny more on the item than what I sniped it at.  However, if I proxy bid my max it juyst gives the other guy a few days to nickle and dime me up over my max.  That can't happen with a snipe.  I bet that I go home with 75% of the stuff I bid on too.

I'll sometimes enter a low bid though just to remember that I'm interested in something though, because I forget to check my watch list. I also will occasionally "ramp" an auction as a psychological deterrant, even though whatever I enter won't be my actual max bid I'm willing to pay for it.

The closest I've ever come to winning an ebay auction was an attempted snipe - I misread the clock, and bid 1:05 before the end of the auction rather than 0:05. Added to that, I was still a newbie and had bid on the auction early, tipping the bidder who eventually won that he'd need to be paying attention in the last moments because I might be back.

It used to be you could bid early if you were only sorta interested in something, snipe if you really wanted it. Nowadays I'm convinced that no matter how mundane the auction, the only way to win at all is by sniping. You can't be glad or mad or sad about it, because that's just the way it is and you can always go to one of those "other" auction sites, right?

I'm not the sort to stay up all hours to snipe someone's auction so I haven't done it yet, but when I next see something that I have to have and there's no BIN, I'll be there at 0:03 clicking Bid. And if there's someone else already in there and their proxy bid is higher than my snipe, or the seller's reserve is higher than I'm willing to pay.... them's the breaks, but I think I'd have a better shot with the "one click, one win" method.

I agree with the sniping as the part of the game thing. Sometimes I do feel bad though. I have gotten my sniping abilities honed in to a bid within 3 or four seconds left. It does help having a T-1 connection to aid that.

What I feel bad about is that I sniped the same poor bastard on two auctions that ended within 5 minutes of each other. When I got home and checked my email, I was greeted with a huge fonted "F**K YOU!"

I felt bad.

Actually that was the first one of those I ever got.

With the Klax one, I accidentally fell into that one about an hour and a half before it ended and absolutely could not believe that only one person bid on it in that time. I found it at $300, and it went up to $340 with an hour left and sat at that.

I couldn't find it in my heart to get into a sniping war with you my man. Just can't.

Well I was going to bid on that Klax also but I let it go thinking CPUWIZ was going to snipe it, I had just recently sniped him on the shooting arcade so I thought I would pass on that one, but it looks like I would have underbid anyway.

FND