IGNORED

Sokuban?

Primordial Ooze

Has anyone done a sokoban game for the Atari 2600 yet? I would imagine it's very possible with boulder dash being finished as we speak. If it hasn't been done yet, I would like to take a crack at creating it in assembly language.

Sincerely,

Primordial ooze

Edited by Primordial Ooze

So i guess there isn't a need for another sokoban then?

Mine isn't finished (you can't win a level at this moment) and doesn't include all of the levels.

If you like to make a sokoban, I would say go for it. By the way, boxyboy for the turbografx inspired me, it's a great port. I spend a holiday playing boxyboy and dreamed about boxes :)

But I think the game is under-appreciated.

Edited by roland p

Mine isn't finished (you can't win a level at this moment) and doesn't include all of the levels.

If you like to make a sokoban, I would say go for it. By the way, boxyboy for the turbografx inspired me, it's a great port. I spend a holiday playing boxyboy and dreamed about boxes :)

Nah, don't want to steal your thunder in case you do decide to finish it someday.

Sincerely,

Primordial ooze

Has anyone done a sokoban game for the Atari 2600 yet? I would imagine it's very possible with boulder dash being finished as we speak. If it hasn't been done yet, I would like to take a crack at creating it in assembly language.(...)

In Boulder Dash thread someone came with the idea of making Bomberman!

That's much more difficult but much more interesting, imho.

Just saying.

It's here.

Has anyone done a sokoban game for the Atari 2600 yet? I would imagine it's very possible with boulder dash being finished as we speak. If it hasn't been done yet, I would like to take a crack at creating it in assembly language.(...)

Just saying.

It's here.

Thing is how would it be done? With 2 sprites, 2 missiles and a ball, it would be difficult to do more then 1 roaming enemy at a time?

Sprite 1 = Bomberman

Sprite 2 = Enemy

Missle1 = Explosion

Missile 2 = Explosion

Ball = Bomb

Playfield = Blocks

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

Just saying.

It's here.

Thing is how would it be done? With 2 sprites, 2 missiles and a ball, it would be difficult to do more then 1 roaming enemy at a time?

Sprite 1 = Bomberman

Sprite 2 = Enemy

Missle1 = Explosion

Missile 2 = Explosion

Ball = Bomb

Playfield = Blocks

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

you could make it pvp

my uneducated opinion.

Edited by raskar42

Just saying.

It's here.

Sprite 1 = Bomberman

Sprite 2 = Enemy

Missle1 = Explosion

Missile 2 = Explosion

Ball = Bomb

Playfield = Blocks

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

you could make it pvp

my uneducated opinion.

You mean Bomberman vs Bomberman, that would be neat. Only problem left is how i would make the destroyable blocks, since there isn't any objects left to display them?

Sincerely,

Primordial ooze

I know about the sprite copy bit. Thing is it creates duplicates of the same sprite grouped together, not in different positions. Also as stated above, all the sprites have been taken leaving just the missles and ball object.

Sprite 1 = Bomberman

Sprite 2 = Enemy

Missle1 = Explosion

Missile 2 = Explosion

Ball = Bomb

Playfield = Blocks

Sincerely,

Primordial ooze

I know about the sprite copy bit. Thing is it creates duplicates of the same sprite grouped together, not in different positions. Also as stated above, all the sprites have been taken leaving just the missles and ball object.

Sprite 1 = Bomberman

Sprite 2 = Enemy

Missle1 = Explosion

Missile 2 = Explosion

Ball = Bomb

Playfield = Blocks

Sincerely,

Primordial ooze

I didn't know they must be grouped together :(

I thought they only needed to act as one single sprite, moving together.

If it was only the second case, maybe mirroring the screen you could make one going from left to right and another on the contrary...

Of couse, even this could harm the gameplay...

Sprite 1 = Bomberman

Sprite 2 = Enemy

Missle1 = Explosion

Missile 2 = Explosion

Ball = Bomb

Playfield = Blocks

Sincerely,

Primordial ooze

If it was only the second case, maybe mirroring the screen you could make one going from left to right and another on the contrary...

Mirroring the playfield has no effect on the sprites themselves. I simply allows you to create half of the playfield, which is reflected for the other half of the playfield. Hope that made sense.

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

Sprite 1 = Bomberman

Sprite 2 = Enemy

Missle1 = Explosion

Missile 2 = Explosion

Ball = Bomb

Playfield = Blocks

Sincerely,

Primordial ooze

Mirroring the playfield has no effect on the sprites themselves. I simply allows you to create half of the playfield, which is reflected for the other half of the playfield. Hope that made sense.

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, it makes sense.

I need to study Atari programming a bit to be able to help with better ideas...

Sorry.

Sprite 1 = Bomberman

Sprite 2 = Enemy

Missle1 = Explosion

Missile 2 = Explosion

Ball = Bomb

Playfield = Blocks

Sincerely,

Primordial ooze

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, it makes sense.

I need to study Atari programming a bit to be able to help with better ideas...

Sorry.

It's ok, was a very good just not possible due to the atari 2600's limitations. ;)

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

what about...

Player0 - P1 Bomberman, copied to P2 Bomberman

Player1 - CPU1 Bomberman, copied to CPU2 Bomberman

Missile0 - P1 bombs (copies up to x4), P2 bombs (copies up to x4)

Missile1 - CPU1 bombs (copies up to x4), CPU2 bombs (copies up to x4)

Ball - explosions (or soft blocks if possible)

Playfield - indestructible blocks

The bomberman can be made using the Boulder Dash kernel, is possible to use 3 colors for the PF grafics, you can make the bricks and explosion with PF only, leaving the players to be players.

Actually BD uses blocks/tiles with 4 PF pixels wide, bomberman needs only 2 PF pixels wide for the tiles, witch give you 32 blocks in a row not using PF0 or 36 using PF0.

PF0 is often not used because it waste precious time for such small contribution, it's only 4 pixels wide.

I hope you make more levels for this game because it's really fun to play, it's on my Harmony for long time. :)

EDIT : Here is my mockup made in two minutes. It's uses only 2 colors on PF pixels witch is enough for 2 types of blocks and explosion.

post-10940-0-66029800-1347317512_thumb.gif

Edited by LS_Dracon

Player0 - P1 Bomberman, copied to P2 Bomberman

Player1 - CPU1 Bomberman, copied to CPU2 Bomberman

Missile0 - P1 bombs (copies up to x4), P2 bombs (copies up to x4)

Missile1 - CPU1 bombs (copies up to x4), CPU2 bombs (copies up to x4)

You mean having two sets of cordinates and drawing the same sprite twice from the two different coordinates?

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

• 5 weeks later...