IGNORED

Mind of the Sniper.

voltron

Eye of the sniper, Its the cream of the fight. Rising up to the challenge of our rival. As the last known survivor stalks the prey in the night..... And he is watching us all in the.....Eye of the Sniper!

Ok i was playing this during the auction wars. but i learned one thing today. I was watching ten items and one that i really wanted. Well i got the ten items i wanted. but diring the auction war, there was this one character that is always trying to snipe me. But it was weird today. It was like i could read the guys mind. A game came up that i knew he was eyeing, but i knew he was ready to pay a premium just to beat me. So i needed to prove my hypothesis, so i decided to bid on an item i did not need and guessed his max bid and bid below it. Auction ends, he finally "beat" mem but he paid a premium. Then i senses adrenaline flowing in him and the taste of blood was too addicting he needed to beat me again. So another item i did not plan on bidding come up. The two auctions were only two minutes apart and having tasted blood i sense he wanted more. so i droped a water bomb and he fired a bullet. and won the second item he "beat" me again. but he paid a premium on a game that is not that rare. :) well there was a third item on auction and he had previously bid on it but today he became a sniper. but this final auction was 30min out. so i looked at the auction, and in my mind i knew that the adrenaline rush he was feeling would wear off and he would realize soon he paid a premium on the two games and wont bid. So during that last auction i did not need the game and sensed he was not going to bid, so i did not bid.

The final auction ended and he did not bid. the mind of the sniper is predicatable. Sometimes its like snipers bid not for the item in the auction but for the taste of blood of sniping another sniper.

Edited by voltron

sniping is the only way to 'bay. bidding with more than one minute left is just jacking up the price unnecessarily.

If you are looking for bargains ebay is not the place. Once in a while you may find a deal in BIN buts its rare. Ebay likes the sniping, it makes them money. There are anti sniping tactics at other auctions sites to prevent sniping, but ebay does not want to implement them. Like in Japan it will add an additional five minutes if a bid is placed with in the final last minutes. Also some auction sites have you fund your account with the amount you plan to bid and hold the money. If you dont have the amount you plan to bid in you account you cant bid.. If you lose the auction your money is returned. So, with this in mind, bargain hunting is not what ebay is about. Ebay is basically for finding "rare" items with the understanding that you will probably pay a premium.

Edited by voltron

Here is my first water bomb :)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 110948095828 1?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110948095828 &mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Here is my second water bomb

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 110948104924 1?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110948104924 &mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

How much over the actual value of the games did these bids go?

If you are looking for bargains ebay is not the place. Once in a while you may find a deal in BIN buts its rare. Ebay likes the sniping, it makes them money. There are anti sniping tactics at other auctions sites to prevent sniping, but ebay does not want to implement them. Like in Japan it will add an additional five minutes if a bid is placed with in the final last minutes. Also some auction sites have you fund your account with the amount you plan to bid and hold the money. If you dont have the amount you plan to bid in you account you cant bid.. If you lose the auction your money is returned. So, with this in mind, bargain hunting is not what ebay is about. Ebay is basically for finding "rare" items with the understanding that you will probably pay a premium.

I don't know about all this. I've found all kinds of video game related bargains on eBay. The trick is to be careful and research what you are paying for. Also, I agree that bidding early just raises the price of the auction, and really has no benefit to the buyers. There have been times when I've sniped, but I know how much I want to spend, and I won't go over that. The benefit of sniping is not to turn your hand to your "opponents" too quickly, thereby hopefully winning the auction at lower price.

Edited by SlowCoder

How much over the actual value of the games did these bids go?

I don't know about all this. I've found all kinds of video game related bargains on eBay. The trick is to be careful and research what you are paying for. Also, I agree that bidding early just raises the price of the auction, and really has no benefit to the buyers. There have been times when I've sniped, but I know how much I want to spend, and I won't go over that. The benefit of sniping is not to turn your hand to your "opponents" too quickly, thereby hopefully winning the auction at lower price.

I agree ... if you are patient and if you're willing to buy in bulk and resell the extras, you can still get great deals. I often will buy 30+ games for one or two and resell the rest and often I'm able to get the game for free or at a major discount. Takes time, patience and a little work, but I find it easier to tell my wife how much I'm truly spending on collecting this way. If I threw down $100 for a game by itself, I don't think she'd be as patient with me.

Now, if you're talking about Spiker or one of the big boys, you're likely going to pay big bucks, but I'm in no real hurry and always hoping for luck to flow my way ;)

Ebay likes the sniping, it makes them money.

How? Sounds to me then according to your theory that they'd like to stop "snipers" and implement Yahoo rules because that means the price of the bids can keep rising as needed, and thus make them more money.

"Sniping" gets a bad rap by people who don't understand what's going on. But to me it's not about saving money or "keeping the price low". Because it doesn't necessarily do that.

Sniping doesn't win auctions. HIGHEST BID wins auctions. And I just like to snipe my bid at the last minute and hope it's the highest one. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. :) But why bother bidding early and letting people pick at it. You're stupid if you do that. :lol:

I can't believe how much thay truckin went for. It didn't even have the map. It's pretty much impossible to play without it. I paid like 45.00 for a complete one a little over a year ago.

Im not so sure the guy wanted to pay that much. And it was more of just getting the win than the price he wanted to pay. Noticed the guy bid on comando but with a half hour remaing he realized he already paid a premium on two snipe attempts he decided not snipe on the commando auction.

Im not so sure the guy wanted to pay that much. And it was more of just getting the win than the price he wanted to pay. Noticed the guy bid on comando but with a half hour remaing he realized he already paid a premium on two snipe attempts he decided not snipe on the commando auction.

I think that in both cases the Tooth Fairy intentionally bid high to help Rev with his dental billz :D

• Like 1

I can't believe how much thay truckin went for. It didn't even have the map. It's pretty much impossible to play without it. I paid like 45.00 for a complete one a little over a year ago.

Holy crap, I just saw that too and my jaw hit the floor. Well played, Voltron, well played. :)

My fiancée actually just picked up a complete copy of Truckin' today for a very nice price at a flea market. Since I already have one (for which I paid $40 a couple years ago), I'm tempted to list it on Ebay, but I doubt we'll see those crazy numbers twice.

(Then again there isn't another complete copy on there right now...hmmm...and even half that amount would pay for a homebrew game...hmmm...)

Holy crap, I just saw that too and my jaw hit the floor. Well played, Voltron, well played. :)

My fiancée actually just picked up a complete copy of Truckin' today for a very nice price at a flea market. Since I already have one (for which I paid $40 a couple years ago), I'm tempted to list it on Ebay, but I doubt we'll see those crazy numbers twice.

(Then again there isn't another complete copy on there right now...hmmm...and even half that amount would pay for a homebrew game...hmmm...)

lol that guy n***d had previously lost every auction to me that day :) (dont get me wrong he has snipe me in other auctions so it was sort of payback :) ) and he seemed hell bent on getting a win. Those two games i already have cib and got the map :) , so i decided to to throw a low ball bid and let him get a win. based on his other snipe attempts i sort estimated what he was bidding so i decided to bid just shy of it :) the rest of revs games i needed since im need to upgrade some to cib from loose, but those two, i didnt need so i tossed a soft ball. . As for the spiker, that I wasnt planning to loose, i dropped a nuke on that one. :)

I wasnt gonna let n***d snipe me :)

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=110948032382

Then again maybe It was just the dental gods looking after Rev

Edited by voltron

This is just my opinion, but Rev's Truckin' and Commando went way high. IMHO, eBay price for Truckin is about $30-35 without map and $35-45 with map. I paid $15 for mine CIB with map (which I know was a good deal). Commando typically sells for $20-35, but until Rev's sold the highest I had seen it go for on eBay was $50. And Rev's was in mediocre condition. If I were selling one of mine, I would probably list at $30 starting ($40 BIN), which is a little high to cover fees, but I'd be surprised if it sold for that....$30 yes, $40 maybe. There is currently a Commando listed for $40 ($80 BIN), but it has no bids and I'd bet a million dollars that they listed it after seeing Rev's sell for $80.

All that being said, nice score, Rev!!! And nice pick-ups, Voltron!!! Everybody wins!!!!!!!!!! :-)