IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

Although Lynx is more important (to us anyway) it's sort of a half serious point..I believe no one offers a Nomad LCD replacement service this side of the Atlantic. I stand to be corrected of course. Here's my vid asking for help - that I made a while back.

Sorry for the topic diversion.

well, i can't afford nomad so sorry, this is a dead end for this retour ;)

Once we've got the Lynx done we will have a collection and fund one for you =) I am sure we will get donation from people that would love to see a proper replacement for the Nomad as well. I've not got one yet, but the reason I never bothered getting a Nomad was the screen issue - they often have poor screens and the only option is as described above to use one of those car parking LCD kits - basically an LCD screen with composite in support, and since the Nomad has a composite signal that is used as the driver for the screen.

according to wikipedia it has superb lcd screen contrast, so what is the issue here?

if someone would donate me one i could spend some time to get this done

otoh if this would be a commercially available kit, then it would need a end user base

mechanically, nomad looks nice and clearn, so it is possible

minus is, it has original screen soldered in (or glued?) to the main pcb

so this would be not for everyone

bottom line - for learning something new - why not, but for building a kit for sale? erm.. i don't know if it would find it's home

I'd rather an external joystick port for the Lynx VGA. When the screen goes out on my Nomad I'll just hook it up to my TV :)

It's easy enough to hack one of those together yourself probably. Basically get a 9 pin D socket and mount it somewhere on the Lynx, or by a cable out to an inline socket, and then use a joystick with 2 buttons that supports the 9 pin D format, I believe the master system does? It's just a case of wiring it to the right points for directions and the 2 buttons. Personally I would prefer to use the Lynx as the controls even if we end up being able to connect it to a TV.

It's easy enough to hack one of those together yourself probably. Basically get a 9 pin D socket and mount it somewhere on the Lynx, or by a cable out to an inline socket, and then use a joystick with 2 buttons that supports the 9 pin D format, I believe the master system does? It's just a case of wiring it to the right points for directions and the 2 buttons. Personally I would prefer to use the Lynx as the controls even if we end up being able to connect it to a TV.

I'd love to just use what he has right now to make a Lynx TV console for the heck of playing it on TV with a real cartridge (not emulation).

according to wikipedia it has superb lcd screen contrast, so what is the issue here?

if someone would donate me one i could spend some time to get this done

otoh if this would be a commercially available kit, then it would need a end user base

mechanically, nomad looks nice and clearn, so it is possible

minus is, it has original screen soldered in (or glued?) to the main pcb

so this would be not for everyone

bottom line - for learning something new - why not, but for building a kit for sale? erm.. i don't know if it would find it's home

This vid may help to understand..??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpVVW3Ww4Tk

But I think really we're all grateful for the time you're taking to work on the lynx :)

Edited by guitari

I stand to be corrected of course.

If a few miles over the North Sea don't disqualify the offer you stand corrected. I know a guy from the German neXGam forum who offered the mod and probably still does, and my friend Tiido from Estonia offered it too as well as cool other mods like OC. These are just the ones I know and trust, there should be plenty more around Europe. :)

EDIT: On topic:

Great progress. I don't care for the VGA output so much, but the crisp image of the new LCD is wonderful. Looking forward very much to this, too bad I only have a Lynx 1, I will have to get a model II now.^^

Edited by 108 Stars

i doubt that triple interlace will work as expected

i can emulate it for sure, but it would have to be switchable, because it is not usable if turned constantly on

as if i tested it - no,

i have xcart prototype from Mastr0, but i haven't got beyond lemmings with it, and since it is just a prototype, it's not very user friendly

Exciting news :)

Any chance of proper tv/out for software that required holding the Lynx vertically? If it's just Raiden, I'm sure it's not worth the trouble to find a way to rotate the screen and pillarbox it for when using TV/Out. But if there are several games that rely on it (I only remember Raiden doing this), perhaps it's worth giving a thought to. [Edit: I guess even if they were properly displayed on tv, the controls would still be configured for the system to be held vertically. So barring some hacks to remap controls, proper tv/out for games like Raiden would be pointless anyways).

Edited by Atariboy