IGNORED

Box Protector Combinations

nukeshed

Heres a question that I don't have the time to figure out the answer to.

Let's say, one day I decide to make an order from http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com, and want to pick up 125 protectors to protect my Platinum 125/125 (har, like that will ever happen). I load up the site, and I come to this dilemma: Some games come in 'tall' boxes, some games come in 'normal' boxes.

The question is: How many games come in long boxes, and how many come in short boxes? How many came in both? Given these three questions, How many boxes of each dimension would I have to buy, such that I could house my entire collection should I get either size of box for a given game?

eg, if 50 come in short boxes, 50 in long, and 25 came in both sizes, Id have to buy 150 (75 short and 75 long, so I have the right amount, no matter what)

Any guidelines for this?

Heres a question that I don't have the time to figure out the answer to.

Let's say, one day I decide to make an order from http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com, and want to pick up 125 protectors to protect my Platinum 125/125 (har, like that will ever happen). I load up the site, and I come to this dilemma: Some games come in 'tall' boxes, some games come in 'normal' boxes.

The question is: How many games come in long boxes, and how many come in short boxes? How many came in both? Given these three questions, How many boxes of each dimension would I have to buy, such that I could house my entire collection should I get either size of box for a given game?

eg, if 50 come in short boxes, 50 in long, and 25 came in both sizes, Id have to buy 150 (75 short and 75 long, so I have the right amount, no matter what)

Any guidelines for this?

Some people have sent me games in those protector boxes and they all have been the big one. The smaller boxed games they place and then fill up thene,pty space with that popcorn styrofoam to keep it from moving. not the best if you looking to display but very effective if your looking to protect the game.

Edited by voltron

Some people have sent me games in those protector boxes and they all have been the big one. The smaller boxed games they place and then fill up thene,pty space with that popcorn styrofoam to keep it from moving. not the best if you looking to display but very effective if your looking to protect the game.

For the purposes of this test question, I would like to go for aesthetics, and would like short in short, long in long. :)

Here's what I think. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

The gatefold boxes are the long boxes, everything else is a short box. So then the question becomes, what games came in gatefold and also in the short boxes. From what I have found out, this is what you can expect:

Long Boxes - All Mattel Network games (Space, Sports, Action, Arcade, etc.) ECS games are NOT included in this list.

Short Boxes - Everything else

Available in both short and gatefold:

• Burgertime
  • Buzz Bombers
  • Mission X
  • Vectron
  • Sharp Shot
  • Scooby Doo
  • Melody Blaster
  • Mind Strike

Since you've asked only about the original 125, I didn't include info about the homebrews, but at this point, only D2K would be a long box, everything else is a short box.

Again, sorry for the lack of numbers here, but I think this will start you on your way. :)

~Dry

Well, that's *kind of* what I was thinking, then I realized I have Lock n Chase in both sizes, Action Network, Non Gatefold in a short box, and Bilingual version in Long Box. This is where I got very confused very quickly. :)

It seems from what I have, that ALL bilingual gatefolds seem to be tall, could this be the case?

Edited by nukeshed

You're going beyond my collecting expertise as I don't collect Variants (bi-lingual). :) That's a very slippery slope that I will never let myself go down. haha

The reason I won't collect variants is that there's really never a way to know if you have them all. There's no "known" number of each variant. The collector in me would go crazy because there's no real end to that.

I'm sure others will argue with me, but that's what makes it fun. :)

You're going beyond my collecting expertise as I don't collect Variants (bi-lingual). :) That's a very slippery slope that I will never let myself go down. haha

The reason I won't collect variants is that there's really never a way to know if you have them all. There's no "known" number of each variant. The collector in me would go crazy because there's no real end to that.

I'm sure others will argue with me, but that's what makes it fun. :)

LOL, yeah, that's why I would argue that variants are fun (and aggravating, as well :P) Being in Canuckistahn, I generally find more Bilingual French Canadian boxes, so my collection has more of those than regular Mattel Network games. My first real purchase with a console came with a dozen or so Sears variety games (Still my only Golf cart) and a Sears Super Arcade. But my collection has never been *standard* so, I guess Ill just have to get 125 longs and a couple dozen shorts, just in case what I find are long bilinguals :D

Well, that's *kind of* what I was thinking, then I realized I have Lock n Chase in both sizes, Action Network, Non Gatefold in a short box, and Bilingual version in Long Box. This is where I got very confused very quickly. :)

It seems from what I have, that ALL bilingual gatefolds seem to be tall, could this be the case?

All Gatefolds are tall I believe, doesn't matter if they're bilingual or not, but all Gatefolds should be tall and all non-Gatefolds should be short.

Some games came in both styles but I don't think there are any short Gatefolds.

All Gatefolds are tall I believe, doesn't matter if they're bilingual or not, but all Gatefolds should be tall and all non-Gatefolds should be short.

Some games came in both styles but I don't think there are any short Gatefolds.

Hmm, that seems to hold true with my collection, and any bilingual I have come across is a gatefold, so... Jeez, this is harder than I thought.

So here's my take. Short answer is that it depends on what you have. This is why I break my collection into categories instead of simple alphabetical.

In general, here are the tall boxes:

Gatefolds (52/82))

14 Action Network games, including Space Battle

5 Space Network games, including Space Battle

11 Sports Network games

5 Strategy Network games

4 Gaming Network games

4 Intellivoice games (5 if you include Samegame & Robots)

2 Children's Learning Network games

1 Arcade Network game (Vectron)

3 additional gatefolds (Burgertime, Buzz Bombers, Mission X)

3 ECS available in gatefolds (Scooby Doo, Mind Strike, Melody Blaster)....I think that's it for ECS, but not sure

29 Sears Super Video Arcade games

1 D2K

? Bilinguals/internationals (not my area of expertise)

Tall non-gatefold boxes

7 Activision games (9 if you include Robot Rubble and League of Light)

As far as short boxes go......

14 Imagic

6 Parker Brothers

8 Coleco

3 Atarisoft

2 Interphase

2 Dextell

10 1983 Non-network games (He-Man, Kool-aid Man, etc)

47 Intellivision, Inc games (Black & White labels)

22 INTV Corp games (Body Slam, Spiker, etc)

1 Congo Bongo

= 115 total short boxes

But just for a simple 125 with no unnecessary duplicates, I'd say 59 Tall and 66 Short. Now if you have a mix of Intellivision, Inc and Mattel games for most of the commons, it gets complicated. I keep all of my Intellivision, Inc boxes separate from main collection. I'm actually trying to complete those as well (missing a dozen or so).

Also, most of the homebrews are short. I'm actually considering http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/ for my homebrews, but will probably leave the rest as is.

• Like 1

I recently ordered many of those for all my game collection (Intellivision, Atari 2600, Colecovision ect..) and can absolutely recommend them, especially for the price (came to about 2x for me with delivery to Australia). But well worth it, especially for the expensive or homebrew ones. But even with ordinary ones, it just make them stand out more (plastic shine and make color more vibrant a bit). I didn't order an exact quantity as I will use the extra ones in the future anyway...