IGNORED

Fixing the power button

Atarifever

Hey. My original 7800 that got me into collecting for the system way back in 2004 is partly dead (I have mentioned this here before I believe). However, I can't throw it out because it's the first one I had for what has gone on to become, far and away, my favourite system of all time. Also, it's only partly dead. See, it still works fine when it can power up. It just doesn't respond to the power button anymore. Neither pressing the button nor pushing the actual piece under the power button (inside the case) reliably starts it anymore. It may start one press in 100, if you press the thing under the power button in a very, very specific way using the edge of a screw driver or a fingernail or something.

Is there a really low tech solution to the broken power thing. I mean, I think as a 31 year old father of 2, it's time I got over being afraid of simple stuff like soldering, if I even need to do that. Is there a way to just, like, replace that thing with a piece of wire I can touch there or something? My understanding is I'm only trying to compelte a circuit, and that doesn't sound too hard. And I can pick up a sldering kit if necessary and give it a try I'm sure.

Any advice?

http://www.mouser.co...4y/NJ8Jp1SoOQ==

38 cents.

However, you need to de-solder the old and be able to solder the new in a very small work area. It is *not* for a novice. Applying the wrong amount of heat when de-soldering and frying the board or crossing traces with bad soldering of the new is easily done...Not that I am speaking from experience or anything like that :-D

As a referral, Yurkie's work is second to none. I received a completely modded 7800 (and a ColecoVision), both came back as good if not better than new.

Edited by Trebor

I disassembled the bad switches in my 7800 and cleaned them out. It's not a perfect fix, but they are more reliable than they were. Oh, be very careful when you open up the console. The plastic is very brittle and will snap even if you just look at it wrong.

Edited by shadow460

http://www.mouser.co...4y/NJ8Jp1SoOQ==

38 cents.

However, you need to de-solder the old and be able to solder the new in a very small work area. It is *not* for a novice. Applying the wrong amount of heat when de-soldering and frying the board or crossing traces with bad soldering of the new is easily done...Not that I am speaking from experience or anything like that :-D

As a referral, Yurkie's work is second to none. I received a completely modded 7800 (and a ColecoVision), both came back as good if not better than new.

How much is shipping for that? I don't want to fill out all of my info for them to have in their database just to figure out shipping. I'm guessing it's like $4.50, but I'm hoping it's around $1.00. Mouser never opened up a shopping cart to individual customers before back in the day, so this is nice!

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been distracted and never got around to this. As someone who has never soldered anything before, what's a good order of projects to take on to learn soldering? I have a ton of stuff I'd like to do eventually that this is the barrier for. I guess practicing on a bare board from radio shack is step one, but after that what order should I go for:

• Fixing the 7800 power switch
  • Adding the cart slot to my Flashback 2
  • 2600 pause kit
  • AV mod

That is the list of ones that I'd really like to try.

Edited by Atarifever

Yah, it is just a short. When I had mine apart, shorting the bottom of the switch with a screwdriver would turn on the console. You could solder two wires underneath the switch to touch together momentarily for the easiest fix.

Someone mentioned taking apart the switch... I thought I was the only one crazy enough for that. Without desoldering, you can cut the four corner black plastic dots off flush with the top of the switch. Then you can remove the clear plastic top and the black plastic button and get to the brass disc. I needed to sandpaper this disc and the contacts it touches in the bottom of the switch. Putting it back together I just melted the black plastic pegs at the four corners with the hot tip of my lowest wattage solder pencil, 15W, to keep the clear top and the switch together.

Worked good until my order of replacement switches came in.

The switches are hard to remove, as mentioned. Not only do you have to delsolder them or heat all the points up at the same time, but the bent switch legs hold on to the board so you need to pry it up. I cracked the two green capacitors next to the switch because I wasn't careful enough.

I have this problem where i have to press the power switch 4-5 times for my 7800 to power up or press really hard. It's unbelievable and fantastic at the same time the parts are still made, i didn't realize. Lesson for me learned is to simply ask! BTW, what wattage iron should be used for soldering on circuit boards? as i know too high a wattage can melt/destroy board and parts also, thanx.

Edited by Rik

I bought a desoldering iron when I replaced all the buttons on mine. A desoldering iron is a soldering iron with a squeezebulb you use to suck the solder out of the trace holes. It's pretty effective.

I strongly suggest that if you're going to do it, you get one of these. combined with desoldering braid, you'll have everything you need to remove the old switches without overheating your board. It's useful for when you do other modding projects as well.

It's not actually that hard to replace the switches, in fact it was probably one of the first electronics projects I took on. My 7800 gets a lot of use and the switches are rock solid now.

So I've been distracted and never got around to this. As someone who has never soldered anything before, what's a good order of projects to take on to learn soldering? I have a ton of stuff I'd like to do eventually that this is the barrier for. I guess practicing on a bare board from radio shack is step one, but after that what order should I go for:

• Fixing the 7800 power switch
  • Adding the cart slot to my Flashback 2
  • 2600 pause kit
  • AV mod

That is the list of ones that I'd really like to try.

Start by practising on something scrap, desolder a common cart and then re solder the chips in place.As for the projects order, start off with the on off switch, then the pause kit, AV mod and eventually in 5 or so years do the cart mod

Edited by mimo

Start by practising on something scrap, desolder a common cart and then re solder the chips in place.As for the projects order, start off with the on off switch, then the pause kit, AV mod and eventually in 5 or so years do the cart mod

Cart mod is difficult I take it. Sounds good. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Yah, it is just a short. When I had mine apart, shorting the bottom of the switch with a screwdriver would turn on the console. You could solder two wires underneath the switch to touch together momentarily for the easiest fix.

Someone mentioned taking apart the switch... I thought I was the only one crazy enough for that. Without desoldering, you can cut the four corner black plastic dots off flush with the top of the switch. Then you can remove the clear plastic top and the black plastic button and get to the brass disc. I needed to sandpaper this disc and the contacts it touches in the bottom of the switch. Putting it back together I just melted the black plastic pegs at the four corners with the hot tip of my lowest wattage solder pencil, 15W, to keep the clear top and the switch together.

Worked good until my order of replacement switches came in.

The switches are hard to remove, as mentioned. Not only do you have to delsolder them or heat all the points up at the same time, but the bent switch legs hold on to the board so you need to pry it up. I cracked the two green capacitors next to the switch because I wasn't careful enough.

I tried to desolder without success and finally choose to take apart the switch and clean it.

It took 10 minutes, power switch now works as if it's brand new.

Great fix !

Edited by Xoff
  • Like 1

I tried to desolder without success and finally choose to take apart the switch and clean it.

It took 10 minutes, power switch now works as if it's brand new.

Great fix !

I am glad my post helped.

If you do get a replacement switch sometime, I would cut all the old switch legs on the component side and desolder one pin out at a time.

• Like 1