IGNORED

Composite Video Mod Quality?

Tempest

Got my INTV back from pimpmaul69 today!

It rocks, especially-so on the CRT I intend to use it on. I never thought I'd see the day of INTV with crystal-clear picture! I hate RF, and this was my last classic console still on it....until now!

It's hard to photo a CRT with a cheap digicam (moire interference patterns, etc) but I tried anyway....

glad you like it. hope you make use of all the mods. unless you have some strange system like mr intv has, you can even use the intv controllers on the system changer. it was my pleasure being able to work on such a beautiful intv I. wish all systems had boards and ribbon cables that look like they did new in 1980.

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

how does it look on a plasma or LCD? Any interferience there? I've added a switch to the 9V of the HF modulator and most of the interference is gone. but there are still some in the 50hz area on highlighted backgrounds (e.g. frog bag)

donkey kong itself is stable and no color rolling or noise in the background as the dark background minimize the load on the amplifier.

Today i tried several amplifiers and filters and finally it seems all these approaches are waste of time. If i simple add one resistor and bypass the amplifier completely it is at same quality. So why all this efforts most likely copied from other consoles if it works with a part about 1cent worth?

As a result noise still exists as it is part of the mainboard design. So finally patching the mainboard circuit is the key getting a similar rgb picture. It seems one of the parts on the mainboard injects the noise. I will try to locate them.

• Like 1

I would be up for installing this mod for folks. I would have to install it on mine first, I got the av mod kit from the guy in Turkey but haven't gotten to installing it yet. I do Colecovision mods mainly. I also might have to sell my entire Intellivision collection (or trade it for CV homebrews) since I just got laid off and just concentrate on my ColecoVision collection. It sucks but I need to start slimming things down a bit! Cheers - TJW

I've done the video mod myself with a breadboard, btw it also works with the creativision. This week I should be getting 9 pcb that are just under 1" square. First attempt at creating a PCB. If it works I would be willing to share the eagle file so anyone can have there own pcb created, their pretty cheap. The components for the board are pretty cheap also, maybe a few bucks? After I get the boards I will share pics.

• Like 1

My modded INTV looks pretty-much PERFECT on a CRT, through the composite video. On the same CRT, the RF (channel 3) output looks OK, about like what it did before the mod, if you're willing to accept the shortcomings (slight interference, lack of picture definition, etc) that come with RF in general, especially on these early systems. (On later systems like the Super Nintendo (just to pick one with really sharp RF) the RF always seemed better to me than the RF of the Atari/Intellivision generation. So not all RF may be created equal, with time and technology always marching on.)

On a "modern" LCD TV (only tried one), the composite did NOT look quite as good as the RF output. However, the RF on the LCD was MUCH less-pleasing to me than the composite on the CRT.

My opinion (just me) is that an AV-modded INTV on a CRT is the absolute best. If one insists on using a modern TV, it may be best to stick to the RF. But in addition to the INTV (all classic consoles prior to HD through HDMI connectors) just look so much better to me on CRTs than modern TVs. Therefore, I'm really pleased that the INTV AV mod looks best on CRTs. But I do realize that not everybody is willing (or able) to have CRTs dedicated for gaming, with space issues, etc. I would (and *did*) consider a CRT, prior to getting an INTV AV mod.

In post 75 of this thread, I posted some CRT-screenshots. They really don't look that good, because it's really hard to get a quality image of a CRT with a cheap digicam. In reality, it's sharper, and the exposure isn't that good on those pics. The clarity and absence of RF interference don't really come through on the pics.

• Like 1