IGNORED

Best Pitfall Game?

segagamer99

Best Pitfall Game?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Pitfall game?

• Pitfall(Atari 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Coleco)
    • Pitfall 2(Atari 2600, 5200, XL, Coleco)
    • Super Pitfall(NES)
    • Sega Pitfall II(Arcade, SG-1000, Coleco homebrew)
    • Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure(SNES, Genesis, sega cd, 32X, Jaguar)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

For me, Pitfall! II: Lost Caverns on the Atari 800/5200.

David Crane tells an interesting story about the development of the home computer versions of Lost Caverns. The Atari 800/5200 programmer started with Crane's original 2600 code, modifying it for the new hardware, while the Commodore 64 programmer used the original 2600 game as a template but programmed his version from scratch. Both programmers finished at the same time, but the C64 version required a complete debugging cycle which the 800/5200 version (based on already-debugged 2600 code) did not need. Because it was finished early, the 800/5200 version got an extra level that the C64 version did not.

I have a certain fondness for Mayan Adventure, especially on the Jaguar, but in my opinion none of the other Pitfall! sequels quite lived up to Lost Caverns. The original is definitely a classic, but there's not quite enough gameplay there for me to go back and enjoy it in the same way now; Lost Caverns added a lot more variety.

I was waiting for Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure to come out on the Amiga, which it never did. :( The game was ported and almost complete, but like so many other good games that were to come out at the time, the publisher pulled the plug on the Amiga version because of Commodore's bankruptcy. I have it on my Gameboy Advance now, as well as Pitfall: The Lost Expedition and love playing them both.

For me, Pitfall! II: Lost Caverns on the Atari 800/5200.

David Crane tells an interesting story about the development of the home computer versions of Lost Caverns. The Atari 800/5200 programmer started with Crane's original 2600 code, modifying it for the new hardware, while the Commodore 64 programmer used the original 2600 game as a template but programmed his version from scratch. Both programmers finished at the same time, but the C64 version required a complete debugging cycle which the 800/5200 version (based on debugged 2600 code) did not need. Because it was finished early, the 800/5200 version got an extra level that the C64 version did not.

I have a certain fondness for Mayan Adventure, especially on the Jaguar, but in my opinion none of the Pitfall! sequels quite lived up to Lost Caverns. The original is definitely a classic, but there's not quite enough gameplay there for me to go back and enjoy it in the same way now; Lost Caverns added a lot more variety.

Have you played Sega Pitfall II? How is that in comparison to the original?

Have you played Sega Pitfall II? How is that in comparison to the original?

As the one who actually published (and also beta-tested) the ColecoVision port of the SG-1000 version, I can tell you that the Sega version provides several new elements over the original Pitfall II game, like falling stalagtites, mine carts (an obvious rip-off from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom but a fun addition nonetheless), arrow traps, swinging vines (inside the caverns, not just in the surface jungle) and a demon boss. These added elements were taken from the arcade version of Pitfall II. The overall map of the Sega version is roughly the same size as the original Pitfall II game, but it generally offers a greater variety of things to see and interact with.

EDIT: I should also mention that it's a much more difficult game. You start with three lives and you really have to be careful as you progress. Some spots are especially difficult to pass. But it's a game that rewards practice. As a beta-tester, I am now able to get far into the game before I lose my first life.

As the one who actually published (and also beta-tested) the ColecoVision port of the SG-1000 version, I can tell you that the Sega version provides several new elements over the original Pitfall II game, like falling stalagtites, mine carts (an obvious rip-off from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom but a fun addition nonetheless), arrow traps, swinging vines (inside the caverns, not just in the surface jungle) and a demon boss. These added elements were taken from the arcade version of Pitfall II. The overall map of the Sega version is roughly the same size as the original Pitfall II game, but it generally offers a greater variety of things to see and interact with.

EDIT: I should also mention that it's a much more difficult game. You start with three lives and you really have to be careful as you progress. Some spots are especially difficult to pass. But it's a game that rewards practice. As a beta-tester, I am now able to get far into the game before I lose my first life.

I have an sg-1000, so I will probably get that(-:

IMHO nothing surpass the ATARI 800 version pf PITFALL 2 . The Second level is really excellent.

PITFALL 2 Arcade (by Sega) , but i speak about the Arcade version , not the SG 1000. Is really cute , and it is interresting to see how Pitfall has been "japanised". :)

The SG1000 port ( and the colecovision version of it) are interresting , well done , it play correctly , but something is missing .. Graphism are not so cute than the arcade version and compared to original pitfall 2 , there is not "pitfall" feeling. In Fact That's a good game but i won't called it PitFall. Hard to explain.

If don't like colecovision port of Pitfalls . Atari 2600 original are better.

IMHO nothing surpass the ATARI 800 version pf PITFALL 2 . The Second level is really excellent.

PITFALL 2 Arcade (by Sega) , but i speak about the Arcade version , not the SG 1000. Is really cute , and it is interresting to see how Pitfall has been "japanised". :)

The SG1000 port ( and the colecovision version of it) are interresting , well done , it play correctly , but something is missing .. Graphism are not so cute than the arcade version and compared to original pitfall 2 , there is not "pitfall" feeling. In Fact That's a good game but i won't called it PitFall. Hard to explain.

If don't like colecovision port of Pitfalls . Atari 2600 original are better.

Can you please explain Youki? What do mean by the lack of "Pitfall feeling"? You said the arcade version feels like Pitfall, but not the home version?

Can you please explain Youki? What do mean by the lack of "Pitfall feeling"? You said the arcade version feels like Pitfall, but not the home version?

I think I understand what Youki means. The SG-1000 version really has a japanese feel to it, which gives it a different flavour compared to the original american Pitfall games. Personally, I like this japanese vibe, but I understand that not everyone feels the same way I do about it. :)

I think I understand what Youki means. The SG-1000 version really has a japanese feel to it, which gives it a different flavour compared to the original american Pitfall games. Personally, I like this japanese vibe, but I understand that not everyone feels the same way I do about it. :)

I think Youki was referring to the Arcade version wich really has a japanese feel

I like the original well enough, but I never felt like it was a game you could complete/beat easily -- at least without mapping the entire thing out by hand and memorizing which undergrounds to go through etc. I think Pitfall II (only have it for the 2600) is a much more complete game. I've played it quite a bit recently and make it pretty far, I just get frustrated and give up after playing for 30 minutes -- I've gotten to the point where you rescue the girl. But it does feel like you can actually complete the game.

I had Pitfall 3D for the PSX and remember not liking it all that much. It was cool and all but I kept getting killed by the bosses at the end of the levels. I want to try Mayan Adventure on of these days -- we have an SNES so I'll probably get that version unless the GBA version if better more playable (have the DS lite for that one).

Question though.... is the A8 version of Pitfall II noticeably better or improved over the 2600 version. I ask because I have Pitfall for the 2600 and A8 and don't find the 8-bit version all that different. Slightly prettier back grounds, sounds a little different but virtually identical to my eye. Unlike Jungle Hunt which looks so much better on the A8 vs 2600.

Question though.... is the A8 version of Pitfall II noticeably better or improved over the 2600 version. I ask because I have Pitfall for the 2600 and A8 and don't find the 8-bit version all that different. Slightly prettier back grounds, sounds a little different but virtually identical to my eye. Unlike Jungle Hunt which looks so much better on the A8 vs 2600.

Beyond the extra level, which I mentioned earlier, the Atari 800 version also has better music, since it's using POKEY instead of the DPC chip in the 2600 cartridge. The graphics are also slightly more detailed than the 2600 version.

No i didn't say that i found the Arcade Version feels like Pitfall. I just said it is an interresting version, with cute graphism and "japanised".

The SG 1000 version is the same thing, but the graphism are less cute. When i play these games (being arcade or Sg1000) , i don't have the feeling to play Pitfall. But netherless, they are both good games and worth playing. And if you don't have the SG1000 version , i recommand you the Colecovision port published by TeamPixelBoy.

I vote for Pitfall 2 for 2600, XL, 5200, CV. I have the Mayan Adventure for PC, which i enjoyed very much. But, i prefer the original side scrolling 2D Pitfalls the best, as the originals of anything are usually THE BEST. Pitfall 2 for the 2600, or CV is also fantastic mainly because there's no stupid time limit.

Edited by Rik

I remember playing pitfall on Intellivision but since I am all thing Colecovision I of course prefer everything colecovision.

Pitfall is ok but it is kinda boring.

Pitfall II was a lot of fun and it is a nice feature that you can't die to actually be able to see the whole game and get through it all. I did get so good at it for the HSC that I got through all of it with only dying once.

Pixelboy Pitfall Homebrew is very nice but very hard. I still am having trouble getting good at it. I know if I was better at it I would definately perfer that one over all of them but since I still suck at this version I guess I lean toward Pitfall II

My vote goes to Pitfall II for the 2600. It still holds a spot in 'my top five' 2600 games. I remember seeing a teaser ad for P2 in a Electronic Fun magazine - was ecstatic! I also recall hounding my parents everytime we went shopping. Of course at that time, I don't think it was released yet. When I finally saw it at our local Camelot Music store, grabbed the parents and they bought it - I was spoiled!;) I must have played that thing all day and wee into the morning hours. Ahh the memories!

I did manage to played Pitfall II at a 7-11 once. I manage to find a Pitfall II arcade kit, just need to find a cab for it. If you guys are looking for a challenge: this is it! This game being tough is understatement. While I do like the gameplay albeit the difficulty... wasn't a real fan of the Sega artwork/graphics that were used.