IGNORED

Vectrex Game Brainstorming!

gliptitude

How about a first-person jousting game? The scaling could look great.

Alternatively, how about a port of Dungeons of Daggorath for CoCo? You'd have to change up a couple things (specifically the ring incantations), but at least the underlying CPU is the same, and IIRC the source code is around.

This is probably too generic an answer but, for me, I welcome more games that take advantage of the Vectrex's analog joystick and that have useful overlays (Pole Position is a perfect example, Armor..Attack is another for the overlay alone). And also, games that take advantage of the vector graphic's ability to draw a straight line in any direction. It's always bugged me to play rastor versions of vector games on consoles, having only 12 or so directions in which to shoot when the arcade version let me shoot anywhere (Asteroids on the Atari 2600 being one of the worst).

would be great as far as the overlay goes (but vertical).

Reactor would be great, too (I've been told someone was working on a version of this with Spike as the player but enough with including Spike for everything already).

Quantum would be perfect for the analog joystick.

And not a game but I wish someone would brainstorm a trackball for the Vectrex. There must be a way to use the inputs for the joystick for that, still leaving the controller with 4 buttons. Quantum, Missile Command, Centipede, Atari Football, other games demand it!

• Like 1

I've been writing a game for the Vectrex (in assembly) lately, in fact I've already started a couple others too :) Been a bit distracted of late after buying a ZX spectrum and doing a little programming on that but I'm hoping to have something ready for Vectrex in the coming months. Most games I have planned are arcade-style shooters though, as that's my favourite genre.

What sort of shooter are you working on for Vectrex?

I've been designing one for a while, which has a perspective view (like Fortress of Narzod), flip-screen levels (quick scroll like in the old Zelda dungeons), power-ups and boss battles.

Edited by gliptitude

Does the Vectrex have the CPU power to do a pseudo-3D, top-down platformer? I'm thinking of something very simplistic, like a vastly stripped-down version of Trampoline Terror for Genesis -- or better yet, a cross between that, and this bonus level from Pilotwings for SNES:

http://youtu.be/J1aPCgm18dg

There are a bunch of Q*bert-ish games that use a top-down perspective, but the Vectrex has the (potential) ability to do smooth zoom & scaling the whole way.

Does the Vectrex have the CPU power to do a pseudo-3D, top-down platformer? I'm thinking of something very simplistic, like a vastly stripped-down version of Trampoline Terror for Genesis -- or better yet, a cross between that, and this bonus level from Pilotwings for SNES.

There are a bunch of Q*bert-ish games that use a top-down perspective, but the Vectrex has the (potential) ability to do smooth zoom & scaling the whole way.

Fortress of Narzod (one of the original GCE Vectrex games) has an overhead perspective view. It is a shooter, not a platformer though. And the environment is static, like a single room or field that you move around in.

Having camera movement, like in the video you linked, would be effing awesome on Vectrex. But a moving 3D environment like this would be very difficult (not impossible) on Vectrex, from what I understand. There was a Battlezone clone in the works, (long since abandoned), and it involved a lot of math to convey the 3D environment.

Possibly if the 3D environment was conveyed less comprehensively this would be a more reasonable project? Meaning if rather than a solidly defined floor and objects, it was just floating sprites that changed their orientation (think Tac/Scan 3D levels, where you are navigating through a series of rings). Also if you're movement was restricted some like that, that you are always moving forward, rather than freely navigating an entire area.

Also see GCE Dark Tower for Vectrex, where a 3rd person perspective view is conveyed fairly simply, by drawing only the player and the trees moving around him (no floor, no horizon, no 3D rendering of the individual trees, camera fixed on the rear view of the player).

Hey, thanks for your reply! Well, what I'm imagining would be a player sprite, fixed in the center of the screen (and thus "transparent" à la Punch-Out), bouncing on something like a 5 x 5 grid of simple squares (trampolines) that would scale in and out with every jump. A rotating camera would be fantastic, but even a static one would work as long as the scaling was in place. Is all of that possible on a tech-demo level?

I'm not a Vectrex programmer, but I do know assembly and have an idea of what Vectrex can do. I am not entirely aware of the Vectrex game library, however so maybe something like these has already been done.

1. How about a game like Gottlieb's Reactor? I can imagine the swirling energy would look nice in vector gfx. "ReVektor" ?
  2. A game reminiscent of Tron Deadly Discs. I can imagine the hurled discs having vector trails. Maybe a cross between air hockey and deadly disks game play.

Okay, that's all I got.

What sort of shooter are you working on for Vectrex?

I've been designing one for a while, which has a perspective view (like Fortress of Narzod), flip-screen levels (quick scroll like in the old Zelda dungeons), power-ups and boss battles.

Sounds good, I love Fortress of Narzod, I like the changes to the design too (power ups, boss battles) I look froward to playing it one day :) I'm programming a game inspired by G-Force - a "flat" tempest clone originally for the ZX Spectrum. My version uses an atari driving controller spinner in port 2 and vectrex joystick in port 1 http://www.worldofsp....cgi?id=0005178 I also have several other shoot-em-up games fully planned on paper (and prototyped on vectrex) right now. I've been pretty busy with other stuff lately but I'm dying to get back to the Vectrex :)

Edited by KidQuaalude

The Vectrex would be the perfect platform for a really good tube shooter. Not necessarily a Tempest or Gyruss port, but something original of that same little genre. The vector graphics are just begging for it.

There is a homebrew Tempest clone called 'Tsunami' but sadly the sound effects are woeful and it doesn't really feel like tempest as much as it looks like it.

Wormhole by Jon Dondzila is a superb looking, sounding and playing Gyruss clone though, I highly recommend that one.

• 2 weeks later...

What has never been done on a classic console and never available for emulation is the 1976 Exidy arcade game: Death Race. Using a 2600 driving controller and the Pedal Controller, that would make for all the controls needed to chase down those gremlins and turn them into crosses with an ear piercing scream. Years ago someone started a 2600 game called Death Derby but it was not completed. I stripped apart some John Dondzilla code years ago and got a car which I could drive around the Vectrex screen using the 2600 driving controller but that was as far as I got.

Now that George Fury has a driving controller for the Vectrex, maybe he would take on this small game challenge.

What has never been done on a classic console and never available for emulation is the 1976 Exidy arcade game: Death Race. Using a 2600 driving controller and the Pedal Controller, that would make for all the controls needed to chase down those gremlins and turn them into crosses with an ear piercing scream. Years ago someone started a 2600 game called Death Derby but it was not completed. I stripped apart some John Dondzilla code years ago and got a car which I could drive around the Vectrex screen using the 2600 driving controller but that was as far as I got.

Now that George Fury has a driving controller for the Vectrex, maybe he would take on this small game challenge.

Give Death Race a try please!! ... And if you do make it selectable between vertical and horizontal Vectrex tube orientation (lay the Vectrex on its side). One person or two persons .. etc ..

Rob, I'll be sure to add a horizontal option. I've had a few ideas to improve the gameplay (especially for one player) so I'll probably make two versions of the game, a simple clone of the arcade game, and my own version. I'll likely start coding it soon.