IGNORED

Hi res picture on the vcs

doron

Hi guys

Well, ZylonBane, it just takes time to know me. But, when they do, people usualy like me.

guys, stop fighting. Don't take this thread to personal emails, please. If someone annoys anyone for whatever reason, just ignore him. that's all.

STARTUP: I got a great idea for adavie: Do personal present cartiges! One could order a cartridge for his wife, say birthday present. It'll include a picture and a messege (Happy birthday) and a favourite rom, each for his own choosing. So you put the cart in, the wife is melted and you play tennis...

Just remembered: adavie, I should have said, but was in hurry to work, the picture is magnificent. I guess other memebers had hard time following the technicly-filled thread, that's all. I was serious about the "startup" idea.

It occured to me to say one more silly thing: guys, remember we all are friends here, and share the highest respect for one another.

Yes, even if that another is a jerk!

you know it's true.

I shared with the community with my sense of wonder and excitement as  something new and magic was being developed.  I get little impression that anyone else even understands what has been achieved, yet alone appreciates it.

I'm going to take my ball, now, and go home.

So... do you only work on these things for other people? Or do you work on them for the satisfaction of conquering a technical challenge?

If you get frustrated because people don't share your enthusiasm for what you're working on, then frankly, I think you're putting too much stock in what other people think (or don't think).

Admittedly, we'd all like a pat-on-the-back from time to time. But I've found that they just don't happen. Personally, I work on things that interest me, for the sole reason that they interest me. If other people "get it", then that's bonus points. If they don't, their loss. I'll still work on what I like.

Anyway...

I've been reading about some of the 2600 programming work being done, and while I don't particularly understand what's being done, I'm impressed with it. To the degree that I can be, as a non-programmer.

I think, for most gamers, the real "cool" factor kicks in when we see this kind of stuff implemented into a game. A good game. Demos are interesting for, oh, five seconds or so, unless you're a programmer who has an understanding of what's really going on, and has an idea of something that it can actually be useful for. For the rest of us, it's a demo. And for most of the rest of us, if it runs at all, the demo's running on an emulator, and that takes a lot of the impact out of it, since we're so used to seeing all kinds of more advanced things running on our computers, graphics and sound-wise. Whereas if it were part of a game, running from a cart in a real 2600, then it becomes very impressive, because we're comparing 2600 carts with other 2600 carts at that point. That's when the realization of what's been accomplished kicks in for most of us.

I still like reading about all of this, because I think it's really interesting what's being done with 26 year-old hardware. As I said, I may not get a lot of it, but I still appreciate that there are people who are willing to put in the time to see what they can squeeze out of my favorite game console. And, I'm trying to learn about the 2600 as I go along. I think I'm starting to get it, and it makes playing all of my old games a little more interesting.

So if it's worth anything... to all of the programmers - thanks.

So... do you only work on these things for other people? Or do you work on them for the satisfaction of conquering a technical challenge?

If you get frustrated because people don't share your enthusiasm for what you're working on, then frankly, I think you're putting too much stock in what other people think (or don't think).

I think you are excluding the most important quote here:

The petty nitpicking about terminology, the needless bickering, and the lack of encouragement is disappointing.

IMO that's what is so disappointing (not only for Andrew!) and probably the main (and very good!) reason why he left.

I hope not gone for good Thomas?

Most people I think don't comment on stuff like this because of what was already stated...It's over their (my) heads. Make no mistake though. This "stuff" is really awesome and Fu Kung is one title that most people should be really looking forward to, even if they don't realize the significance of the end results, just because it's so freaking awesome to see on the screen.

As far as the bickering about it... I'd be willing to bet it's not WHAT people are discussing so much as how they state things.

The word assholishly comes to mind...(Is that a word??) :P

In any case I'm sure their are ALOT more people here that really do appreciate what you bring to the board. I for one am...ummmm one of them.

Nice! I hope you had some aspirin at hand while testing on an emulator. ;)

For what it's worth, setting Stella's FPS to my monitor's sync setting (75) results in no noticeable flicker at all except when some other process slows Stella down for an instant. I know that's cheating because TV's only operate at 60Hz but it's refreshing for the emulator to look better at this funky stuff for a change :)

Rob

I think it would help if you guys posted more screenshots of your work in addition to the binary. I bet a lot of the casual readers on here don't have an emulator set up. Plus most of Andrew's binaries are not easy for the novice to get running. Every time I post music demos on here, I post a binary and an mp3 and I always get a ton more hits on the mp3 even though it's a much bigger file.

-Paul

I think it would help if you guys posted more screenshots of your work in addition to the binary.

Ok, but what could I have posted.

An animated GIF that flickers way too slow. Wrong impression.

Or the original image after resizing and color reduction? Nah, that would have been cheating.

You have to see them in action. My demos where all 2 or 4K in size, so there is no problem to use them on a emulator or via SC/CC on the real thing.

All cool movies, except for the Black Hole, you can see the wires on the robots :D

Hey now, don't diss Black Hole. Where else are you going to see Maximilian Schell, Yvette Mimieux, Ernest Borgnine, and Norman Bates-- err, Anthony Perkins in a sci-fi 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ripoff, with Roddy McDowall and Slim Pickens as robots?

Ah, inspiration strikes...

post-2663-1045082292_thumb.png

It was a good movie really, got to love a film with Robert Forster in it, but I've seen it more times than I've had hot dinners :)

Perhaps far too many times:

Are you programmed for speech? are you...nah, that'd make you too human.

If there's any justice in the universe, that black hole will be your grave.

Ah I see your the old two eight, programmed in Houston.

It's a monster alright.

I could go on, he he he...

The petty nitpicking about terminology, the needless bickering, and the lack of encouragement is disappointing.

IMO that's what is so disappointing (not only for Andrew!) and probably the main (and very good!) reason why he left.

I didn't mean to imply those weren't important factors. My point about not taking too much stock in what others think applies to that as well. Admittedly, nitpicking and bickering get old a lot faster than a lack of expressed enthusiasm.

Anyway... my point is moot now.

As for The Black Hole, it's an okay film... but I wonder how frames from Tron would look on a 2600? ;)

I didn't mean to imply those weren't important factors. My point about not taking too much stock in what others think applies to that as well. Admittedly, nitpicking and bickering get old a lot faster than a lack of expressed enthusiasm.

Anyway... my point is moot now.

As for The Black Hole, it's an okay film... but I wonder how frames from Tron would look on a 2600? ;)

Look, the happy man is at it again! :

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20717