IGNORED

Picture, no sound.

HatefulGravey

My xbox has just stopped putting out sound. It has done this a time or two before, but now I'm just completely soundless and that tends to make gaming on it really hard, and watching NetFlix and things like that completely useless. I have never seen anything about this, so is my box screwed, is this a known issue or did I just get unlucky AGAIN? This is my third 360, if this one is done so am I, and that would suck a bit, I really enjoyed this console.

Can you test the console on a different TV? I'm not sure if currently it's connected through an AV receiver? Or directly to your TV? But either way I'd test it on a different TV first.

If that doesn't work or if you don't have another TV handy to test it on, just bring it to your local game store and have them test it out. That way it'd be on a different TV and using completely different cables (use theres, don't bring/use yours). If it still doesn't work, it must be something with the console itself.

The console is hooked up via HDMI cable to my HDTV with nothing extra in the middle. No settings were changed before the sound stopped working, but I have checked and tried all settings since the sounds stopped. I'm don't have a way to hook it up to another TV right now, and I don't have another HDMI cable to use right now having given the extra I had away. I looked for today, and could not find, the other CompHD cable that came with the console, so I haven't been able to test that yet. No sound is coming to my Turtle Beach headset either so I know the sound isn't making it to my TV at all.

I know it isn't the TV or even the port on the TV. There have been no hardware changes in my entertainment system any time around this problem.

so you tried out switching to digital stereo and then back to dolby digital already?

kind of sounds like a possible grounding issue. have you tried switching the Xbox to the another HDMI port? that may solve it. my friend had a somewhat similar problem with his new 360 and he googled like crazy and eventually got to a Westinghouse forum for his TV where tons of people had problems with their HDMI devices. The solutions were to make sure that the HDMI device and TV were on the same powerstrip to the same outlet and to switch HDMI ports. Of course, this was a stopgap measure and when the problem happened, they had to switch to the another HDMI port. Eventually, they all said they were going to switch to a different model as that specific model was prone to the problem no matter how many times they switched.

here's a solution related to that Westinghouse TV my friend had:

Apparently the HDMI ports can get into a state where they are unable to negotiate the input signal properly. The way to "clear" the ports and allow the HDMI signal to be detected is to perform a "reset" on the unit.

Just turn the set off using the power button on the right side of the unit. Then, press and HOLD the power button for at least 10 seconds, then release.

The set should turn on and essentially do a "reboot" where it displays the Westinghouse logo. After that your HDMI ports should be functional again.

I had something similar happen when I bought my LED tv a month ago. I used to have the Xbox hooked up to an SD tv with the rca cables and when I hooked it up to my new tv(via hdmi) I had no sound.

What my problem was that my Hdmi cable was not all the way in... I had picture but no sound. I watched online and saw people making av cables for the sound while running hdmi cables and thought that was what I needed to do. Turns out I had a slightly unhooked hdmi cable.

If it isn't that, then switch to composite cables that came with the unit. At least it will begin to answer some of your questions. It may not be in the best resolution but it may have sound.

here's a solution related to that Westinghouse TV my friend had:

Apparently the HDMI ports can get into a state where they are unable to negotiate the input signal properly. The way to "clear" the ports and allow the HDMI signal to be detected is to perform a "reset" on the unit.

Just turn the set off using the power button on the right side of the unit. Then, press and HOLD the power button for at least 10 seconds, then release.

The set should turn on and essentially do a "reboot" where it displays the Westinghouse logo. After that your HDMI ports should be functional again.

It's not just Westinghouse either. My Onkyo TX-NR708 AV receiver had sound issues when I first got it as well. I had to physically unplug it and plug it back in to get sound back. They fixed that rather quickly with a firmware update though.

HDMI DRM rocks