IGNORED

Rom/Dumping/Burning Advice Needed

Edit_5

Hi all, I apologise if this is in the wrong area of the forum or if it's been asked thousands of times.

The thing is I want to backup the games that I have, now that circuit boards are readily available from pixels past and the cart cases are coming soon, but what I need to know is how do I dump the games that I have and then burn them onto a new EPROM?

The 2600 carts that I have are getting on a bit, and I'd really like to get them backed up before it's too late, especially now I have 3 very curious kids all wanting to explore what I have locked away, and trust me if you have kids you can undersatand my paranoia.

What's the best piece of kit for doing the job (preferably something that's good for doing the reading and writing) that's available in the UK, any help would be great, I'm planning on using a 2732 EPROM and 7404 gate, as recommended over at pixels past.

Once again sorry if this has been asked over and over again, slap me I'm British ;) and a semi-newbie.

EDIT_5

Hello and welcome, yes this post would be better suited in the hardware forum but what the hell.

You don't need to dump your games, almost every single game that exists has been dumped and is readily available on the internet. You can back up your games with the pixels-past boards, however to this date you can only make 4K carts with them and many games are 8K or more in size and or contain RAM.

Hope that helps a little.

I agree with CPUWIZ, there's really no need to backup your existing games, unless you happen to have unique games that have never been encountered before. :) Virtually every 2600 game has already been dumped and are freely available on the net.

You can back up your games with the pixels-past boards, however to this date you can only make 4K carts with them and many games are 8K or more in size and or contain RAM.

We will have 8K+ boards for sale by the end of the month. :)

..Al

Thanks for that guys, I never thought of putting the .bin files onto EPROM, it's one of those obvious things you never think of, then when the penny drops you kind of go DOH!

And a good point made about the size of the games, above applies again, DOH!

Are there any tutorials regarding the reproduction of carts for the ATARI /| 2600, sorry for asking something which you probably get bombarded with on a regular basis, but if I don't ask then I'll never get to learn.

EDIT_5

I've been checking out the local stores for burners and EPROMS, found a place that does the lot, and the guy who runs it is open for cutting deals on any purchase, so I'm going to pay him a visit one day this week and haggle with him.

I'm in a top mood today, found a copy of Yars' Revenge in a local charity shop and it had never been opened, £3 :D what a bargain, so guess what I'll be doing tonight :)