IGNORED

Auction Thread

Ed Siegler

I was talking to a friend this morning about the thread here that talked about an online auction that changed the policy in reguards to last minute "sniping" by adding time to the end of the auction.  WHat was that thread and what was the online auction?

I don't know what thread it was. Yahoo auctions extend the ending times by 5 minutes when ever a bid is placed within 5 minutes of the end of auction. Since there is never much that is worth bidding for on Yahoo, it doesn't make much difference.

uBid was the one I was talking about in the last thread about sniping. I remembered it being 5min but apparently it's only 2.

Here's their overtime policy

Overtime Policy  

If there are any bids within 2 minutes of the auction close time, the auction will be extended until there are no bids for 2 continuous minutes.  

There is no limit to the number of times an auction can be extended. Therefore, uBid recommends that you check back often as an auction nears closing time.  

As long as there are quantities available in an auction, traditional bidding will continue. If all quantities in an auction are purchased using uBuy It, the auction closes.  

uBid makes every effort to ensure system availability. However, uBid reserves the right to close an auction prior to, or extend it beyond, the posted closing time. This may be done at our discretion and without warning.  

uBid is not responsible for incomplete, failed, garbled, scrambled, delayed or misdirected computer transmissions due to technical computer hardware or software failures or other errors or problems of any kind, whether mechanical, human, electronic or otherwise, which may limit a user’s ability to bid in any auction.