IGNORED

Wii-U in stores, first impressions?

davepesc

I think Nintendo could have done this tablet controller idea differently

The other 2 consoles could in theory when their next gen comes out just use Ipads or other tablet models as an interface to the console

With the popularity of Tablets and the price drops I am seeing aside from Apple of course, eventually a smart phone or tablet will be able to interface with anything in home

we are already seeing this If I am out odds are the bar I am sitting in has one of those new Touchtunes jukeboxes I dont even have to get up to play music just keep my lazy ass in the stool and use my Droid 1

If Wii controllers can interface with a 1st gen Droid for games why cant todays touch screen device interface with the console instead of being forced to buy an exclusive touch screen pad as for the Wii U?

I think it's kinda cool. The thing I like about it is that its "DIFFERENT!!!". I really hate it when it seems like everything today is a upgrade from the pervious systems that where out without offering something new.

The thing I don't like about it is that it's going to be victimized by good game developers like how the Wii was. The Wii was great system buy not too many developers made worth while games cause "" Nintendo"" is a kiddy system and thats just totally BS cause Nintendo made/Published great mature games like 007 golden,Conker bad fur day, killer instinct 1&2,Perfect dark house of the Dead overkill ect.

I think if Nintendo can get developers behind them that actually use the new hardware they could have a winner on there hands.

• Like 1

I think it's kinda cool. The thing I like about it is that its "DIFFERENT!!!". I really hate it when it seems like everything today is a upgrade from the pervious systems that where out without offering something new.

The thing I don't like about it is that it's going to be victimized by good game developers like how the Wii was. The Wii was great system buy not too many developers made worth while games cause "" Nintendo"" is a kiddy system and thats just totally BS cause Nintendo made/Published great mature games like 007 golden,Conker bad fur day, killer instinct 1&2,Perfect dark house of the Dead overkill ect.

I think if Nintendo can get developers behind them that actually use the new hardware they could have a winner on there hands.

Well Ninja Gaiden, Zombi U, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed and Darksiders are launch titles so I think the "kiddie" stigma might be wearing off.

Then there's this-

"It could have been so different though, as the game’s producer Katsuhiro Harada was initially unsure about what audience the Wii U would cater for, and had originally thought about opting for a much more simplified version of a Tekken game. In an interview with Polygon, Harada spoke about how it was Nintendo that made his team think twice and make the game appeal to more hardcore gamers.

At first, we were aiming towards a simplified version of Tekken — taking a lot of elements from the arcade version and streamlining them for a casual fan base. Nintendo's reaction was that it wanted us to keep the hardcore elements that make Tekken what it is. We were quite surprised."

http://www.nintendol...o_be_simplified

Nintendo certainly seems to be taking a more active role in "hardcoring" this console. They got involved with (and published on the Wii U) Ninja Gaiden 3 and brought it up from a game IGN gave a 3/10 to a hardcore, dismemberment filled version that IGN gave a 7.6/10 to. They secured Bayonetta as an exclusive. Zombi U is a gory, survival horror rogue-like. I think they're serious about changing their image.

Edited by xg4bx

Sometimes "different" is great, like when it's driven by innovation, like the original Wii.

Sometimes "different" is not so great, like in the form of a gimmick. I'm not saying that's what the new controller is, as it remains to be seen. But I have a hard time imagining myself playing for very long with an iPad-sized controller, because it's not necessary. PSx and 360 controllers are very comfortable and functional. Once you reach an optimal level of comfort and function (and price), there are few ways for "different" to be manifested as innovation, but many ways for it to be manifested as gimmick.

Are there going to be 2 iPads in the box, or is it going to be $100-and-something for a second controller, so your friend can play?

Sometimes "different" is great, like when it's driven by innovation, like the original Wii.

Sometimes "different" is not so great, like in the form of a gimmick. I'm not saying that's what the new controller is, as it remains to be seen. But I have a hard time imagining myself playing for very long with an iPad-sized controller, because it's not necessary. PSx and 360 controllers are very comfortable and functional. Once you reach an optimal level of comfort and function (and price), there are few ways for "different" to be manifested as innovation, but many ways for it to be manifested as gimmick.

Are there going to be 2 iPads in the box, or is it going to be $100-and-something for a second controller, so your friend can play?

I think there's only one ipad thingy included, but you can use your Wiimotes and classic controllers too, or buy another ipad thingy. The ipad thingy may work out alright for certain games. Like Madden and NCAA college football. Imagine that you can use the touchscreen to pick plays, schemes, move some x's and o's around in between downs, etc.. And in other sports games too, like in basketball games. You can do a timeout, and then draw out plays on it that your players will execute. It could be a blast, but I agree a controller is the best for most situations, and you need all those buttons handy. Perhaps the ipad thingy can be picked up and used like a small white board that a coach would use in an actual game.

...how long is going to be before the touch screen a. breaks or b. gets scratched up beyond use?

Well, I don't let children use my DS, but if that's anything to go by, the tablet controller will last a long time as long as they don't release an Ouendan game for it... >_<

Zombi U is a gory, survival horror rogue-like.

!!! My interest is piqued.

I would like to see when a virtual keyboard will appear on the tablet screen.

Heck, I would like to see if EA and Bioware will ever bring the original Dragon Age: Origins along with Awakening onto the Wii U to make use of the tablet controller. If any game deserves a Wii U update just for that feature alone, it's Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

If Wii controllers can interface with a 1st gen Droid for games why cant todays touch screen device interface with the console instead of being forced to buy an exclusive touch screen pad as for the Wii U?

I would counter your arguement with two points. The Wii-tablet has physical controls on the side, which indicates to me that the tablet part is for adding a different aspect to in-the-room multiplayer. We all know how frustrating touch controls may be- although according to Metal Jesus's vids, touch controls have gotten a lot better in the past year. But historically, touch controls blow, hense the real controls on the side of this thing.

Also, I think you are probably right about the tech being available soon for non-propriatary tablet use on our consoles. But for the time being, this provides that experience right out of the box for layfolk like me who know little about making that concept work and have little technical knowledge.

Finally saw one at Target tonight. It was all just videos! Doesn't this thing come out on Sunday? Why don't they have any playable games? I can watch videos online. I don't need to go to a store for that.

The controller felt nice and light but a little cheap. I didn't spend much time with it. I'll get interested when I see a Metroid game or a Zelda that strays from formula a bit.

Watched a girl playing Wii U Rayman at Best Buy last weekend. Her parent watched on, and the wife responded "Yes" when her husband asked if that thing was a new add on for their Wii.

I tried to explain that it wasn't and add on, but rather a replacement. They either didn't hear or ignored me. How could they have thought that game was produced on the Wii?

Obviously not huge gamers. I guess that was why they didn't have a clue. I can imagine the look on their face when they go to buy the add on and are told it's $299.99.

Maybe they aren't marketing this thing right.

The gameplay video for that Zombie U looks pretty cool, but also pretty complicated and almost distracting in the implementation of touch pad use.

Amazon has a gameplay video up if interested in checking it out. Curious to see what the reviews for that one are.

Add me to the group that won't be snagging a Wii U any time soon. Just don't have a need for it right now, nothing I've seen has made me want to abandon my current, huge "to play" pile.

Well, I don't let children use my DS, but if that's anything to go by, the tablet controller will last a long time as long as they don't release an Ouendan game for it... >_<

!!! My interest is piqued.

here's a video from IGN that touches on the survival aspects of Zombi U-

what it doesn't mention is that you also lose proficiency when you die and restart; you gain skill with weapons and the like the more you use them so when you die you're back to square one.

I would like to see when a virtual keyboard will appear on the tablet screen.

Heck, I would like to see if EA and Bioware will ever bring the original Dragon Age: Origins along with Awakening onto the Wii U to make use of the tablet controller. If any game deserves a Wii U update just for that feature alone, it's Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening.

At first I was excited about imagining that but now after seeing this:

http://kotaku.com/5961239/mass-effect-3-wii-u-shows-off-some-of-the-consoles-potential

...I'm not sure I want to bother taking my eyes off the screen to look down at the controller. After the interest wears off I can see myself not wanting to bother with it. (Getting old!)

I don't know maybe they will do something cool.

Looks like a nice system but it can wait. It will be on store shelves for years to come.

Picked this up tonight. Too bad all I can do is stare at it for the next 2 days :P-

post-22906-0-20574600-1353112252_thumb.jpg

I'm debating on whether to buy that, Assassin's Creed 3, Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3 or Scribblenauts this Sunday. Before my 360 overheated I loved what I played. I'm hoping some reviews will be up early Sunday so I can factor in if any of the games are glitchy.

here's a video from IGN that touches on the survival aspects of Zombi U-

Well, I can't argue with you there, but it didn't look very Roguelike at all to me.

I just hope it actually delivers, unlike Dead Island, which looked awesome, but turned out to be Borderlands With Zombies. Though that still would've been alright if they had supported multiplayer split-screen at all. Sounds like ZombiU doesn't have any split-screen either, though =(

Oh, I remember reading about this now, this is that "reboot" or whatever of that old computer game. I wanted to play that, but never got around to it.

I walked right into Fred Meyer, asked if they had one, and they said they had an 8GB one. So I bought it and am in the process of hooking it up. I just wish there was a "no internet access" option as I spent ten minutes trying to find the piece of paper I wrote the access's password on. I got New Super Mario Bros. U. I thought all of them came with NintendoLand, but I guess not. This update is taking forever!

Some asshat is already selling theres for 800.00 firm.. what a low life..I will buy mine just like i did the wii.. took over a year to get one after release date they were never in stores. without lining up or preordering.

No matter what it is or what it costs, it will eventually go for $5 at a yard sale.

I remain very enthusiastic about the Wii U, but for various reasons will be unable to get one anytime soon.

Basicly it is a Wii on steroids. If the tablet is bunk, I'll just use my tried-and-true Wiimote and nunchuk combo. :)

I walked right by eb games there was lots of wii u'sto buy. About 5 people in line.. I seen a bunch of 40 something fat ass virgins that probably lived in their parents basement.. I thought fuck buy 10 of these wii u things and be a money grabbing cunt too. Then I realized standing there with my wife and two kids I can buy one When they are cheaper and I dont have too sit in the line up of shameless

deadbeats...

Got the system today and after about 40 minutes of trying to download the update and fail, I popped in a game. Holy crap ZombiU is hard. I died on the early mission featured a lot on videos on my way back to the safe house. I decided to use a flare and run by a punker zombie and friends. It did work and I ducked into the alley only a door away to the shortcut and a zombie climbed over the wall. I killed it using the cricket bat and knew a couple would be behind me. I spun around and there were three. I SHOULD have used my pistol and just be done with it, but I wanted to save the ammo. I panicked for the first time playing a game for awhile and I died.

Right now I'm taking a break and going to try out Batman Arkham City in a bit. My system is still trying to update right now and finally did. I guess when it fails, it doesn't have to redownload everything which is a great plus. I just set up my Nintendo account which was a breeze, my name is xenomorpher as well if anyone wants to add me. The YouTube channel doesn't work yet until the TVii update in December, but you can go there from the browser. The browser is surprisingly fast. It's the fastest browser on a console I've tried so far.

For those who were like me about deciding on what game to get, Gamefly has a special where you can take two games out at once for two months for a little more than $24 after tax. If you go to cancel your membership, they add a month extension for free. I can expect to play Assassin's Creed 3, Mass Effect 3, or BO 2 this week. Another thing that may be worth noting. My 5 year old widescreen PC monitor is my current set up, and with my PS3 and XBOX 360 I was able to connect via VGA or DVI with a HDMI to DVI cable and use composite audio too. With the WiiU you can only use HDMI or the A/V port. It's kind of a bummer, but so far the gamepad puts all the game audio through the speakers. It sounds great so it isn't a huge deal but worth mentioning if you planned on hooking it up to a sound system like me.