IGNORED

Could the Lynx handle these games?

Turbo Laser Lynx

I still don´t know if the Lynx is a 8 or 16 bit system, I believe the lynx is 8-bit, but some people say that it´s a 16bit system. It seems like the Lynx is "in-between 8 and 16 bit". The best Lynx games are clearly better than most 8-bit games(c64,nes,sms) and seem to be 16 bit games.

But the main question is, if someone knows:

Would the Lynx be able to handle these games?

WOLFENSTEIN 3D? When you take a look

at the alien vs predator demo, blue lightning, electro cop and stun runner it seems

to me possible.

DUNE2 or WARCRAFT1? Nice action/strategy games! A clone would be super for the Lynx, but Dune2 was slow even on the amiga500, and maybe the game is to big anyway?

I've never played dune, but I don't think I'd want to give the original warcraft a shot on the lynx... I own the version of warcraft II for the saturn and the game is practically impossible without a mouse. ( At least that's the way I see it. :) ) another problem I would have is that I don't prefer the original warcraft anyway. (but that's just because I played warcraft II first... That's a good game for the computer anyway.)

The Lynx is a 8/16 bit hybrid. The main CPU is an 8bit 65C02 running at 4mhz. The graphics are controlled by a custom 16bit sprite engine running at 16mhz. It is possible to "hack" the lynx to make it run at 24mhz.

The Lynx should be able to support a Wolf 3D like game. LucienEn has a 3d demo that demonstrates what is possible. You can get it in the thread 3d demo. He says he won't turn this into a FPS but it does show that it can be done. The aiming would be static like it is on the GBA.

Dune 2 or Warcraft like games might be a little pretentious though. The games would probably have to be toned down to such a degree that there wouldn't be any real comparison. Simpler turn based stratagy games are possible though. I'm currently working on a war game that's pretty much a cross between Empire and Advance Wars on the GBA. I'm also started work on an Ogre game, similar to the ones that Origin put out for the 8bits years ago (except mines in full color w/ better animations :D ).

Wolfenstein 3d, yes. Dune2&Warcraft, it could do them, but like has been said, they would have to be toned down, but not because the processors couldn't handle them, but because of memory restraints and resolution. Graphically, those games would either have stuff that is unrecognizable (or nearly so) because of the 160X106(?) display, or, have them all at the characters/sprites correct resolution, but then you would have to scroll a TON to see anything and that would be bad with even a mouse, let alone the joypad.

To clarify: I wouldn't turn the 3d demo in a FPS because I think you can create a more interesting complex game by adding puzzle elements.

Sure there will be some combat but not center of the gameplay like Doom/Wolf 3D.

I'm finishing up the engine and anyone who is serious enough could use the same engine to create Wolf3D. So I'm sure it can be done.

As far as a game like Wolfenstein 3D is concerned, my only question would be, How would you strafe (sidestep)? Strafing is a pretty important part of any FPS (Wolf3D included). I could see switching weapons with one of the options buttons or something like that but strafing would be almost impossible, I would think. Unless you programmed it to be done with a button combination, like holding down the B button while simultaneously moving left or right, and then you could use the A button to fire and the B button by itself to open doors.

As an aside, Wolf 3D was done very well on the GBA. Shoulder buttons for strafing are very good, in my opinion. But I'd definitely buy it if it were on the Lynx as well.

Currently I use inner button to run or turn twice as fast. Outer button for action (open doors, use item etc.). Inner+Outer plus left/right is strafe. Alternative is to use opt1+opt2 for strafing.

Another thought is to use opt2 to lock a target. This is actually not that hard to do (provided there's one target only).

It shouldn't slow down much. Of course it depends what kind of action to add. If it's max. 1 or 2 enemies and all I have to do is basic collision then it should not be too bad (but will know exactly later). One of the reasons I'd like to make it an action adventure. For instance Prince of persia also has simple action with only 1 opponent but still fun imo.

By the way I finished earlier the support to display other (sprites) objects. It doesn't slow down noticeable. Not even with 2-3 objects.

By the way strafing with a+b was a bad idea since that means you can't shoot while you strafe. So I have to think about some other scheme.

It shouldn't slow down much. Of course it depends what kind of action to add. If it's max. 1 or 2 enemies and all I have to do is basic collision then it should not be too bad (but will know exactly later). One of the reasons I'd like to make it an action adventure. For instance Prince of persia also has simple action with only 1 opponent but still fun imo.

By the way I finished earlier the support to display other (sprites) objects. It doesn't slow down noticeable. Not even with 2-3 objects.

By the way strafing with a+b was a bad idea since that means you can't shoot while you strafe. So I have to think about some other scheme.

Currently I use inner button to run or turn twice as fast. Outer button for action (open doors, use item etc.). Inner+Outer plus left/right is strafe. Alternative is to use opt1+opt2 for strafing.

Another thought is to use opt2 to lock a target. This is actually not that hard to do (provided there's one target only).

First of all, I recently downloaded the latest demo of your work, and I think it's fantastic. It certainly exceeded my expectations (I doubted the Lynx could pull it off), and looks nearly as good as the Doom clones on the GBA. If you manage to put something together with a solid framerate, you'll even put that handheld to shame.

As for controls, the challenge (of course) is that you're limited to two main buttons and two minor buttons. Here's what I would do:

B button: Fire weapons.

A button: Strafe when held with L/R. Tap to open doors.

Option 1: Use for special weapons like grenades.

Option 2: Go to the map screen -- add in zooming if you're feeling lucky.

I hope that helps. The important thing to remember is to keep things simple and straightforward. Everything should be easy to pull off, especially something like strafing. I don't know if I would keep the running in; the ideal thing would be to find a walking speed that's fast enough without getting choppy.

Again, fabulous work. You should be congratulated (and paid) for your efforts.

Thanks a lot!

Now in your layout you can't run and the challenge is to add that to the 2 buttons. Unless I would remove running. In the demo you can run with the inner button (and turn 2x with this button). Outer button opens door.

Right now I added small accleration so you start running after 2 seconds.

But not sure yet what to do.

First priority for me is to finish the editor (add object/action mapping). I'll revisit the button layout later. As I don't have always time to work on this it will take a while...

I like Daniel Thomas' suggested layout, although I would switch the A and B button functions (simply because I'm used to Wolf 3D on the GBA), and instead of a map function I would have a switch weapons function; unless, of course, your game were more of a RPG, with an inventory, in which case it could bring up an inventory screen with a paper doll of your character. But that's just my opinion because I don't use maps very much (except in Morrowind on the PC, which definitely needs it).

Hey, glad to help. Hope things work out.

The reason I left out the option to run is because I don't feel it's really all that necessary. The challenge, of course, is in trying to fit as much as possible into the button scheme. Given this, I don't believe it's productive to have two different walking speeds. Movement should be easy and intuitive.

Now, there is another option. Here's what you do: set Option 2 to an Options screen, where you can select 1) the map; 2) a password for saving (at the current level); and 3) the option to walk or run. When "walk" is set, normal movement will be at the walking speed. When "run" is set, movement will be at the running speed. The trick here is to find a walking speed that isn't too slow, and a running speed that isn't too fast.

Of course, the framerate is the highest priority, and everything else takes a back seat to that. Make sure the basic movement is smooth and fast, and then work from there.

P.S. Another thought that occured to me: are all movement speeds -- walking forward, turning, strafing -- the same speed? Wouldn't it be better to make the turning speed faster than normal? I'm thinking of my time playing Battlezone 2000 on the Lynx. Turning those stupid tanks is way too slow. Anyway, it's my food for thought.