IGNORED

Atari 5200 prototypes

Adrian M

Your best bet is to get to know collectors and hope one of them needs to sell off their collection. Your odds of finding any in the wild are slim to none (a tiny bit higher if your in CA. but not much). I've gotten most of my prototypes through friends or through contacts I've made over the years.

Tempest

Quite a few Atari 5200 prototypes were sold on eBay in the past year, so that's a good source of prototypes if you're patient and have the cash to spend (since it's going to be pretty competitive, especially where prototypes for unreleased games are concerned). The best way to get several protos at once is probably to buy them from a fellow collector, but most people wouldn't sell their protos unless they're getting out of the hobby or are in dire need of cash.

You can pretty much forget about finding protos in the wild, although it does still happen from time to time. Just don't go thrifting expecting to find any.

..Al

Yeah, that's kind of what I was afraid of....very few collectors seem willing to part with their prototypes, except in rare cases where they need money or are getting out of collecting, which is really quite rare.

Thanks for the info so far. I'll keep an eye out on ebay and also on this messageboard. The cost really isn't an issue for me, it's just finding a source where I can get the protos that's the hardest!

• 2 weeks later...

I found a Track & Field prototype about 4 years ago at a local thrift store here in New Jersey. It set me back a whole 80 cents, and I didn't even own a 5200 at that time! I had to try it at a friend's house just to verify that it worked.

So, anything is possible when it comes to spotting prototypes in the wild!

quote:

Originally posted by Agent X:

I found a Track & Field prototype about 4 years ago at a local thrift store here in New Jersey. It set me back a whole 80 cents, and I didn't even own a 5200 at that time! I had to try it at a friend's house just to verify that it worked.

So, anything is possible when it comes to spotting prototypes in the wild!

That's one - of the many - lucky reasons to live in the U.S.A.

I can tell that I don't think to find never a proto in Italy

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

What's the date on that prototype?

There's no date on the outside, just a typewritten "Track and Field" sticker on top of the "Loaner Cartridge" label. I've seen the board inside once before when the cartridge fell and the two halves of the shell separated (luckily, there was no damage), and I recall seeing a tiny handwritten sticker somewhere inside of the cartridge, but I don't feel like trying to pry it open again.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Adrian M:

[QB]Aside from the occasional prototype cart floating around on ebay, where is the best source for Atari 5200 prototype carts?"

If you attend the Philly Classic you may see some repro protos in newly designed authentic looking boxes and labels. A fellow in Arizona, Voltman3, has burned some protos onto EPROMS and I finally got to play Asteroids, Tempest, Millipede, Track and Field, Xevious, etc. on my 5200. Feels great!

Tunnel Runner