IGNORED

68000 ASM debugger and dev environment on WinXP ?

VladR

My post got cut before I pasted other half of the post (it is tricky on the phone):

1. I already have easy68k, so am looking for an alternative that is proven - e.g. prefer a direct feedback from someone using something else

2. Please, no LMGTF "jokes"

It appears, I was absolutely right about the second point...

I see nothing wrong with asking for opinions about what environments work for users on here. I'm sure if he wanted just a list of what was available he'd know to Google it... after all, he found this website, didn't he?

Unfortunately, CyranoJ, I haven't set anything up myself or I'd be able to help you.

sh3-rg because it's counterproductive

why not using real thing then? you would replace windows notepad with devpack's editor and pc keyboard with genuine atari one - right, so much for cross development

anyways, i'm looking forward for more replies to this thread, as i'm seriously pushed off by "devpack" approach

Well steem debug is probably the best debugger out there and if you don't like devpac (and many don't) there is always turbo assembler. Plus there is this little thing called a fast forward button that kind of makes a huge difference compared to a real machine.

As for being counterproductive, all those new ste demos wouldn't have been possible without STEEM so I guess your definition of counterproductive isn't really backed by data.

• Like 1

I know part of the reason C compilers seem to force you to cobble together a dev environment is that, well, C programmers love to tailor things specifically for their tastes. I can only assume assembly devs are even more so.

I doubt the OP will find any consensus - at best maybe a nice list of alternatives.

My suggestion would be to use emulation so you can run a real Atari ST assembler yet never have to leave your PC.

• Like 1

As for being counterproductive, all those new ste demos wouldn't have been possible without STEEM so I guess your definition of counterproductive isn't really backed by data.

All our games were made with a combination of steem debug, devpac and pure c, mrpink has said, along with others, without steem debug build, it simply wouldn't be possible to do some of the things he did in such a timely and efficient way.

Yes, we even used notepad and genuine PC keyboards.