IGNORED

So what drew you to the CV?

TheCurlyBard

Donkey Kong...enough said. ;)

Speaking strictly from having lived in that era when it was released... DONKEY KONG, DONKEY KONG, DONKEY KONG

DONKEY KONG, was without a doubt the reason the CV was a bit hit. Look at its competitor... the Atari 5200... same old stuff Pac Man, Break Out (blah). It was no contest. Donkey Kong looked and played more like the arcade in its day, more so than anyother game system at the time.

Donkey is the best "Pack-in Game" of that era. Only when the NES came out was it bested by Mario World. Both were the killer apps that got the system into the house.

Back in the day, a friend, whose family made far more money than mine, had one. We played a lot of the arcade ports, etc. I remember wanting one badly, but I was lucky enough to have a 2600, a small 13 inch B&W TV, and a few games.

I didn't have one until about 3 years ago off of craigslist. Of course, now I have all of the crap I wanted back then and then some, but not much time to play these days.

Edited by cybercylon
  • Like 1

Donkey Kong...enough said. ;)

Speaking strictly from having lived in that era when it was released... DONKEY KONG, DONKEY KONG, DONKEY KONG

I'll have to 3rd that sentiment. Seeing it in action in store at the Hills dept store I just had to have it. It looked so realistic and DK was one of my favorite games, although I sucked at it in the arcade. I didn't get it immediately but not too long after. It was on sale for maybe $150 or something. Too damn long ago to remember that clearly.

• Like 1

For me, I was 14 years old and had a growing disdain for all things Atari even though I had an Atari Pong system and the Atari VCS with a collection of about 30 games. I mean, how many times could you feel shafted after spending your hard earned money on games like Pac-Man and E.T. seeing as $30-$40 was like thousands of dollars to myself and I'm sure many others back then.

As soon as the CV was unveiled and word spread through magazines, ads and commercials, I knew that I had to have it and convinced my parents that this would be the one and only gift that I would ask for as a combination B-day and X-Mas gift. Who wouldn't want the top of the line videogame system that provided near arcade quality graphics, sound and gameplay as well as included Donkey Kong as the pack-in game. Suffice it to say that X-Mas '82 was the best ever when I got my first CV and a couple weeks later the VCS and collection of games was sold and easily forgotten.

Now that I look back on things, it would have been cool to have held onto my VCS and games, but when you're 14 years old and your Dad says that it has to be sold if you want a CV... the decision to sell is a very easy one.