IGNORED

Rounding out my Collection...

LynxVGL

So I'm starting on a push on completing some of the missing titles in my collection. In general some of these are launch titles and some not so much. Please chime in on your opinions on some of these titles:

Space Fury: Asteroids clone with some flicker issues. (eBay for $.99)

Mousetrap: Should I hold out for a loose copy with an overlay or just go for a loose cart? I hear some comments on how slippery the control is on this title, thoughts?

Frenzy: Need it. 'Nuff said.

I'm on the fence about whether I should chase after a Pepper II, and a Lady Bug. Neither title looks particularly interesting to me at all.

Imagic titles: I have both Nova Blast and Moonsweeper. I really would like to add Dragonfire to the collection as well. I played a little Wing War in emulation and have no real opinion on it. How much fun is it? Are the other CV Imagic titles any good?

AtariSoft titles: I have Defender, Centipede, and Galaxians. How good of a port is Jungle Hunt? It's the rarest if the Atari titles, is it worth the prices? What about the protos of Joust, Dig Dug, Pac Man and Moon Patrol? Worth the pursuit or not? I'd prefer a Pac Man Collection and a Space Invaders Collection by Opcode instead...

Let the debates begin!

Edited by LynxVGL

Well I think if you look through topics on these forums you will see pretty much everyone loves pepperII and ladybug. If you want pacman collecion then I don't see why you wouldn't want pacman type games which is ladybug and pepperII. I am not much of a pacman guy so I consider pepperII and ladybug way more fun than pacman.

Jungle hunt is pretty good but I don't play other systems or arcades to know how close to arcade it is. To me it is ok, if I wasn't a guy who wanted everything for my collection I probably would have not purchased it and would have used the rom on my SD atarimax instead to play.

I think joust is probably the best rendering I have ever seen and if it had music it would be one of the top games that was ever on colecovision. I think it is still fun to play but definately something missing without the sound.

Dig dug is really one of the few games I ever played in the arcades so I love it because of that but it does have a ton of flickering and the button push on colecovision controller is way slow for pumping up the guys compared to how fast you could pump up the guys in the arcade. Hopefully when opcode does his version he will make the button more responsive.

• Like 1

Well I think if you look through topics on these forums you will see pretty much everyone loves pepperII and ladybug. If you want pacman collecion then I don't see why you wouldn't want pacman type games which is ladybug and pepperII. I am not much of a pacman guy so I consider pepperII and ladybug way more fun than pacman.

That's kind of my thoughts too. Maze games are not super high on my gaming list. Moustrap is different enough, and since it was a launch title I feel more confidant about that title than the others.

So I'm starting on a push on completing some of the missing titles in my collection. In general some of these are launch titles and some not so much. Please chime in on your opinions on some of these titles:

Mousetrap: Should I hold out for a loose copy with an overlay or just go for a loose cart? I hear some comments on how slippery the control is on this title, thoughts?

Space Fury is not terribly good. I would take Asteroids over it any day of the week. But it's still worth buying for 99 cents. Mouse Trap and Frenzy are no-brainers. :)

I'm on the fence about whether I should chase after a Pepper II, and a Lady Bug. Neither title looks particularly interesting to me at all.

Lady Bug is fun, but I find Pepper II superior in terms of sheer fun factor. That's only my opinion, mind you.

]Imagic[/b] titles: I have both Nova Blast and Moonsweeper. I really would like to add Dragonfire to the collection as well. I played a little Wing War in emulation and have no real opinion on it. How much fun is it? Are the other CV Imagic titles any good?

I never understood the appeal of Dragonfire, I find it totally uninteresting.

Wing War is a game for passing time on a rainy day, so it's not for everyone. You don't play it for the challenge, or the action, or to reach a high score. It's the kind of game where you simply accept the mission that is presented to you, and you grind your way through the game trying to achieve the goals, just for the heck of it. I've had a lot of fun with this game, but that's only because I can grind through it patiently. You yourself may end up hating the game.

]AtariSoft[/b] titles: I have Defender, Centipede, and Galaxians. How good of a port is Jungle Hunt? It's the rarest if the Atari titles, is it worth the prices? What about the protos of Joust, Dig Dug, Pac Man and Moon Patrol? Worth the pursuit or not? I'd prefer a Pac Man Collection and a Space Invaders Collection by Opcode instead...

The Atarisoft titles are all very good, except for the Dig Dug prototype which stinks. Jungle Hunt is definately worth purchasing.

Space Fury is worth 99 cents. Not much more, though. :)

I never really got into Mousetrap. I collect CIB, so it's not an issue of not having the overlay or instructions. It's just not my type of game, I guess.

Frenzy is definitely an awesome game.

I love Lady Bug and Pepper II. They're both really addictive, challenging games.

Imagic titles: I have both Nova Blast and Moonsweeper. I really would like to add Dragonfire to the collection as well. I played a little Wing War in emulation and have no real opinion on it. How much fun is it? Are the other CV Imagic titles any good?

I love Dragonfire, but I prefer the 2600 version. Nova Blast and Moonsweeper were never very appealing to me. Wing War isn't fun for me.

AtariSoft titles: I have Defender, Centipede, and Galaxians. How good of a port is Jungle Hunt? It's the rarest if the Atari titles, is it worth the prices? What about the protos of Joust, Dig Dug, Pac Man and Moon Patrol? Worth the pursuit or not? I'd prefer a Pac Man Collection and a Space Invaders Collection by Opcode instead...

I have so many different versions of the AtariSoft titles, that I had to stop buying them for every system they were available for. So I don't have them for the CV. I've played them in emulation, and my opinion is that they're not worth buying if you have them for some other platform you like a lot.

OTOH, yes definitely get Pac Man Collection and Space Invaders Collection. And a SGM and Donkey Kong and... :)

It all depends on if you are looking to collect these loose or complete in the box. If you are just looking for loose "original release" carts, then they are all worth acquiring seeing as the majority can be had for fairly cheap with the exception of Jungle Hunt. Checkout Mumbai's For Sale thread in the AA MarketPlace as he has about the best prices around and you can save some further money by making a group purchase and only having to pay for shipping costs once. You may end up paying "a very little bit more" compared to getting a deal of $0.99 for Space Fury, but as mentioned, the extra shipping from different purchases will add up.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/168225-fs-colecovision-cartridges/page__st__50__hl__+mumbai?do=findComment&comment=2611119

Here is a ranking of the "original" game releases:

- Pepper II

- Frenzy

- Jungle Hunt

- Lady Bug

- DragonFire

- Space Fury

- Mouse Trap

- Wing War

If the AtariSoft Protos come available, they are all worth getting, especially Moon Patrol and Joust.

Pac-Man Collection and Space Invaders Collection are going to cost some serious bucks to acquire and rarely become available.

If you are considering purchasing the "original releases" CIB, then Frenzy, Jungle Junt, DragonFire and Wing War are going to come with some sticker shock... $$$.

The other option is to buy the AtariMax Ultimate SD MultiCart and download all the roms files to the SD Card and then you can play them all to your heart's content. One purchase (that includes the homebrew titles Mr. Chin and Mario Bros.) and instant access to every game that is available in rom image format and no clutter of loose carts and the added time factor of chasing all the carts down... even Pac-Man Collection is available in rom image format thanks to Opcode just releasing it a couple weeks ago.

It all depends on if you are looking to collect these loose or complete in the box. If you are just looking for loose "original release" carts, then they are all worth acquiring seeing as the majority can be had for fairly cheap with the exception of Jungle Hunt. Checkout Mumbai's For Sale thread in the AA MarketPlace as he has about the best prices around and you can save some further money by making a group purchase and only having to pay for shipping costs once. You may end up paying "a very little bit more" compared to getting a deal of $0.99 for Space Fury, but as mentioned, the extra shipping from different purchases will add up.

http://www.atariage....ai#entry2611119

Here is a ranking of the "original" game releases:

- Pepper II

- Frenzy

- Jungle Hunt

- Lady Bug

- DragonFire

- Space Fury

- Mouse Trap

- Wing War

If the AtariSoft Protos come available, they are all worth getting, especially Moon Patrol and Joust.

Pac-Man Collection and Space Invaders Collection are going to cost some serious bucks to acquire and rarely become available.

If you are considering purchasing the "original releases" CIB, then Frenzy, Jungle Junt, DragonFire and Wing War are going to come with some sticker shock... $$$.

The other option is to buy the AtariMax Ultimate SD MultiCart and download all the roms files to the SD Card and then you can play them all to your heart's content. One purchase (that includes the homebrew titles Mr. Chin and Mario Bros.) and instant access to every game that is available in rom image format and no clutter of loose carts and the added time factor of chasing all the carts down... even Pac-Man Collection is available in rom image format thanks to Opcode just releasing it a couple weeks ago.

I'm okay with loose, Niad. I've been having fun making UGC boxes for my loose carts.

I've been toying with the idea of the Atarimax cart for awhile too... Between that, a Roller Controller, replacement SAC's and possibly a SGM, my wife isn't too pleased with the costs of my CV hobby. :)

Jungle hunt is pretty good but I don't play other systems or arcades to know how close to arcade it is. To me it is ok, if I wasn't a guy who wanted everything for my collection I probably would have not purchased it and would have used the rom on my SD atarimax instead to play.

I think joust is probably the best rendering I have ever seen and if it had music it would be one of the top games that was ever on colecovision. I think it is still fun to play but definately something missing without the sound.

Dig dug is really one of the few games I ever played in the arcades so I love it because of that but it does have a ton of flickering and the button push on colecovision controller is way slow for pumping up the guys compared to how fast you could pump up the guys in the arcade. Hopefully when opcode does his version he will make the button more responsive.

Can someone tell me why Joust still doesn't have sound :? :? :? I would have thought this would have been done a while ago. I know Daniel was working on it but that fell through.... :? I would think it wouldn't be that hard to add the sound and make the finishing touches to a already great game, then make a CIB release. I don't think I'm the only one who is dieing for a finished CIB version of this game.

The person that acquired the sound code for Joust won't release it or maybe hasn't been offered the right $$$ amount. As far as programming the sound from scratch, I guess if it was easy enough to do, NewColeco or someone else would have done so already.

Last bit of bad news, if a version of Joust with sound was completed, a Homebrew release would probably have to be made VERY QUIETLY, especially seeing the issues Albert had (I think with Atari, but I don't recall completely) when AtariAge was selling the AtariSoft repros of Joust, Pac-Man and Dig Dug.

Can someone tell me why Joust still doesn't have sound :? :? :? I would have thought this would have been done a while ago. I know Daniel was working on it but that fell through.... :? I would think it wouldn't be that hard to add the sound and make the finishing touches to a already great game, then make a CIB release.

Adding sounds to the Joust prototype is actually extremely hard to pull off, because we're dealing with a ROM, which is by definition compiled into an optimized machine code format. To give you a general idea, it's like trying to make extensive changes to the foundation of a house, without affecting the rest of the house which is resting on this foundation.