IGNORED

CV component video mod question

ApolloBoy

Just thought I'd ask this about performing a component mod after looking at the datasheet for the TMS9928. Looking at said datasheet, it looks like all I need to get component video out of it are three 470 ohm resistors and three 15 pF caps all tied to ground, has anyone tried this method yet? I'd really like to be able to attempt this using the parts I have on hand right now.

• Like 1

Hi ApolloBoy. :)

I'm looking forward to see what you comes up with.

I have experimented with this very issue, and it was not as simple as you want to try.

I do not have this problem now a days, because I have the French CBS version. :-D

The French version is born with RGB out. (Euro connector - Scart - EIA multiconnector).

Not interested in buying a kit, I'd like to be able to use standard parts that I have on hand. The main reason why I ask is because I plan to eliminate the 12V and -5V rails in the system, which means I'll lose the AV mod I already have installed.

I too tried experimenting with simple and more complex setups and failed. I don't believe what you propose will work without further refinement (complexity). One issue I believe is the relatively loose tolerance on the RGB output from the TMS9928. I managed to get a nice crisp black and white image on my LCD TV with fixed resistors. However, because of the loose tolerance on the outputs you'll need some pots on those outputs to adjust them to get decent colours on your TV. The kit I linked to has pots on each output which appears to confirm my suspicions.

Good luck with whatever you try and let us know how you get on.

BTW - I have installed the kit in a CV and it works great - just a pain getting the pots set right so the colours look good.

Answering the initial post...

The problem is that the ColecoVision doesn't output component video. Close, but not exactly.You should get an output, but the blues will be too bright. If you turn down the blue, you'll also affect other colours, especially the yellows. My component mod kit accounts for this. If you're lucky or good, there may be a simpler way to accomplish the same goal.

I tried the setup as described in the TMS9928 datasheet, although I substituted the 15 pF caps for 30 pF ones. I did get the same problem that 5-11under described but if I turn down the brightness on my monitor it actually looks very good, albeit with some slight vertical lines. I think I might add some adjustment pots later so I don't have that issue, but overall I'm pleased that I have something that's at least mostly useable.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently tried replacing the 470 ohm pulldown resistors with 1K pots acting as variable resistors and I didn't notice any difference; the pots just seem to act as on-off switches and I can't get any control over the R-Y or B-Y levels. I think I'm done messing around with this for now but I might revisit it and try different value pots.

• 9 months later...

This is strange, I recently picked up a new PVM to replace the one I was using before, and surprisingly it automatically adjusts the image so that black is actually black with my CV component mod and not dark blue. Kind of strange this is happening but a very pleasing development nonetheless.

This is strange, I recently picked up a new PVM to replace the one I was using before, and surprisingly it automatically adjusts the image so that black is actually black with my CV component mod and not dark blue. Kind of strange this is happening but a very pleasing development nonetheless.

What's a PVM?

It's a series of professional-quality monitors made by Sony. They usually have a variety of inputs including composite video, S-video, RGB and component. They're renowned for their excellent picture quality which is part of the reason why I have one (two actually!).

Thanks for the explanation.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a request for anyone who had their CV modded for component by doubledown. I'd like to know what method he used, as I'd not only like to do some further tweaking to the circuit I have in my CV, but I'm also interested in modding my Sega SG-1000 II for component by switching out the TMS9918 for a TMS9928. As I stated before, the circuit I used works perfectly fine on my two new Sony PVMs, but it still has the color difference issue (with black being dark blue, etc.) on other TVs and monitors. I'd love to be able to use this on any TV, in case I decide to bring my CV or SG-1000 to a friend's place or something.

Edited by ApolloBoy

Here's a request for anyone who had their CV modded for component by doubledown. I'd like to know what method he used, as I'd not only like to do some further tweaking to the circuit I have in my CV, but I'm also interested in modding my Sega SG-1000 II for component by switching out the TMS9918 for a TMS9928. As I stated before, the circuit I used works perfectly fine on my two new Sony PVMs, but it still has the color difference issue (with black being dark blue, etc.) on other TVs and monitors. I'd love to be able to use this on any TV, in case I decide to bring my CV or SG-1000 to a friend's place or something.

Doubledown used a more passive method when providing component video output. Many years back I asked how he did his component video mod, and he didn't really tell me anything more than that...

The Zaxxon picture doesn't show yellow (edit: referring to the VGA one, because he's using a converter from component), but you can see how the other colours are skewed, so I'm guessing he's not doing anything to bring back the brightness of the yellows:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/130346-colecovision-video-upgrade-comparison-pictures/

Edited by 5-11under