IGNORED

Qberts Cubes Question

Bartsfam

All I have ever played is the ROMs from various sites.

How come the ROMS that I have do not have a title screen, and go right to the Colecovision Blue Level Select screen??

Are the officially released cartridges different?

Some sites call the ROM Qbert II. Are these all the same as Qbert Cubes?

This was an official release, correct? A CIB version is very valuable, correct?

Edited by Bartsfam

It is official release and CIB is valuable but not outrageously valuable.

The first screen used to be visible because coleco put a 10 sec bios wait that let you see the screen. So without the bios it would just go to blue screen. Lately people have updated the bios to let you click the fire button and skip the wait. I would suppose what you see would depend on the emulator and if they are different from other emulators. Maybe some emulator also emulates bios wait.

As far as the name conflict, it is Q*bert's Qubes as per the box, manual and cartridge label as well as all of Parker Brother's catalogs and other ads from BITD. However, at the top of the skill level select screen (which is the title screen as well), Parker Brothers listed it as "Qbert II" due to space limitations.

There is NO title screen, either via the CV BIOS like Coleco's releases or a custom title screen... when you turn on the system the first screen displayed is the level select screen and PB added the "Welcome to Qbert II" and "© 1984 Parker Brothers" text. They did this to make the program as small as possible in all likelihood so as not to have to use a more expensive and larger Prom chip.

post-25956-0-59292100-1353604883_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

I remember exactly where I bought this game (which is scary)....Sears...I mostly remember, I think, because I had never heard of it prior to seeing it there in the display case and it took me by surprise that there was another Q*Bert game.

It was exclusive to Sears and Hills department stores and quite a few people back in the day were apparently unaware of it's existence.