IGNORED

The NEW High Score Club 1.12 ~ Subterranea

Vocelli

Week 12

CLARIFICATION: No use of CHEATS, emulation advantages, bugs, cart frying or other variables that gives you an unfair advantage is allowed in this HSC. Before you even consider using such non-sense a PM must be sent to me, the Moderator, to ask for clarification on any such advantage or rules and if any of the above variables are allowed. So assume you cannot use any of the above variables to play in the 2600 HSC until you are given authorization to do so by me, your humble yet strict MODERATOR! :cool:

Subterranea

The hideous HEXUPLEX guards the dark tunnels. Its evil genius tracks your Ranger, wherever you fly. The creature sends up lethal Aerobots, one after the other. Grab the Treasure Crystal and slide into the underworld. You're in for an unforgettable adventure!

If you survive flocks of flying enemies, escape through the high powered flash pulses of the Electro-Gates. It takes steady nerves to make it! Then, go even deeper to more wild battles. Keep shooting, and never give up!

Game Name: Subterranea

• Released By: Imagic, 1983
    Left Difficulty: N/A
    Right Difficulty: N/A
    Game Mode: Game 1 - Standard Game

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone else. The deadline for posting scores is Midnight, December 9, 2012.

BONUS POINTS:

‘Post-a-Pick’~

Find the ‘easter egg’ in the game.

If you can make the initials MK (for Mark Klein) appear, take a pic and post it for TWO bonus points!

Subterranea Scores FINAL

42713 - shadow460 (+15)(+2)

21584 - Liduaro (+14)(+2)

21270 - Gorfy(+13) (+2)

15891 - Vocelli (+12) (+2)

14920 - Stan (+11)(+2)

13301 - Scrabbler15 (+10)(+2)

9912 - Deteacher (+9)(+2)

8727 - Gamer_X (+ 8)

8159 - NIKON (+7)(+2)

6157 - Randon terrain (+6)

5177 - Oyamafamily(+5)

4609 - Roadrunner (+4)

3823 - gamerguy (+3)

2674 - ClassicGamer (+2)

1820 - jblenkle (+1)

The next game week 13 will be posted on Saturday!

Overall rankings through Starmaster Thanks Gorfy!

1. Liduario 121

1. Gorfy 121

3. Deteacher 107

4. Vocelli 104

5. Scrabbler15 97

6. Stan 95

7. Oyamafamily 82

8. Toymailman 64

9. NIKON 61

10. Roadrunner 54

11. Classicgamer27330 47

12. gamerguy 46

13. Gamer_X 40

14. Larcen Tyler 28

15. gavv 26

15. Mister VCS 26

17. Amstari 19

18. jblenkle 18

19. Red Tide 17

20. Homerwannabee 16

21. skosh 13

22. Wickeycolumbus 11

23. Shadow460 10

24. Zer0soul 9

25. Keilbaca 6

25. sdamon 6

27. AtariUCLA 5

27. Cortat G 5

29. Hatefulgravey 3

30. DTKofoed 2

31. pis 1

31. Miss2600 1

31. exo 1

31. cparsley 1

31. Chuck D. Head 1

31. Atarifever 1

Week 12-13 = Imagic.

Week 14 = M Network.

Week 15= Surprise (2 week Holiday Special).

Week 16 = M Network.

Week 17-19 = Wild card with rarely played games. OH no!

Week 20-21 = Paddle games.

Week 22-23 = My Favorite Games as a kid.

Week 24-26 = Anything Goes.

Edited by Vocelli

HSC 2600 Record is 68,665 by the 5th Ghost it happened in the 9th round of the first season.

I almost missed this. Ya'll need to fasten your seat belts, 'cause it's warm up time. Imma bring out the big guns. :D

Yep, you won for the 6th season with 46,874 :thumbsup:

By the way, why are you losing some rounds? We're having an amazing season.

I just noticed something about this game. It puts HMOVE in the same horizontal lane that it's placed enemies into. The HMOVE lines will show you ahead of time where the enemies will show up. I can't adjust my monitor to a point that the HMOVE lines disappear completely, and I'd be surprised if it was possible to eliminate them on the TVs we had in 1983 when Subterranea came out.

If looking at those lines is considered a cheat, I'll have to post tips and leave it at that.

BTW, even though I can't post a score yet, I can tell you I'm halfway to my old record after only three tries.

I just noticed something about this game. It puts HMOVE in the same horizontal lane that it's placed enemies into. The HMOVE lines will show you ahead of time where the enemies will show up. I can't adjust my monitor to a point that the HMOVE lines disappear completely, and I'd be surprised if it was possible to eliminate them on the TVs we had in 1983 when Subterranea came out.

If looking at those lines is considered a cheat, I'll have to post tips and leave it at that.

BTW, even though I can't post a score yet, I can tell you I'm halfway to my old record after only three tries.

I just played several games on Stella and I do not see what you mean...I am using a Dell WFP 2700 widescreen flat panel monitor.

HMOVE lines are horizontal lines at the left side of the screen. They're very evident in Missile Command and just about any other early release that doesn't use a black background. Every game has them, it's just that some games cover them up. Stella may have a way to eliminate them.

First off, according to the Clarification notice, you are suppose to PM me any inquiries with regards to rules and such.

Secondly, I just played my cart (not emulation) tonight and I do not see the lines on the left that I have seen in other carts.

Thirdly, please post a pic of your lines tomorrow so I can see such lineage.

Fourth, thanks for asking

First off, according to the Clarification notice, you are suppose to PM me any inquiries with regards to rules and such.

Dude, chill, OK? I don't know if it was intended, but when I read that it made me think of an inexperienced manager yelling company rules right to my face, and that is not something I put up with.

Now I'm going to get off my rocker. :)

Secondly, I just played my cart (not emulation) tonight and I do not see the lines on the left that I have seen in other carts.

Thirdly, please post a pic of your lines tomorrow so I can see such lineage.

I think it depends on the display or possibly even the console the game is played on. I had to crank the brightness to get it to show up in the picture, but even with the C=1701's controls set to normal, the HMOVE lines are visible much sooner than the enemies are. Every one of those faint white spots toward the left side of my screen is an HMOVE line. You can see one of them down and to the left of the green enemy. The game is in attract mode right now. IF you were to extend the HMOVE lines across the screen they'd be just below where the enemies show up and you could use them to aim with pinpoint accuracy. You could destroy enemies faster by looking at the HMOVE lines than you could by watching for their sprites on screen.

post-7210-0-02578300-1354501814_thumb.jpg

Fourth, thanks for asking

Anytime. :)

I think now is not the time for me to re join the HSC. It was totally different when I played three or four years ago. I don't know what's considered cheating these days, infinite 90 point prize in Fast Eddie, bullet farming in Dark Chambers oops, I meant Dark Cavern, using graphical anomalies to the player's advantage, etc.

For now, I'm just going to file the tip sheet I typed up and put the game back on the shelf.

Edited by shadow460

I think now is not the time for me to re join the HSC.

Good idea. You were probably going to get banned from the high score club for posting a pic BEFORE MONDAY!!!!!!! :D

I might try it since I used to play the crap out of the game back when it was fairly new.

• Like 2

Good idea. You were probably going to get banned from the high score club for posting a pic BEFORE MONDAY!!!!!!! :D

I might try it since I used to play the crap out of the game back when it was fairly new.

No, he is safe. There was no score involved ;) . Close one though.

@Vocelli

You shouldn't change rules in the middle of the week.

I posted a pick and claimed the bonus points ;)

Now seriously, I hope I can find the easter egg because I'm not good at it. I didn't find Yar's Revenge or Adventure's easter egg yet... And I had Yar's Revenge bach then...

Finding Yars Revenge easter egg usually happens incidentally. The problem is that it ends your game, so if you were working on a high score, then too bad. Finding Adventure's easter egg, on the other hand, requires a complex set of actions. I've only been able to do it by following the directions posted on AA.

I've been trying off and on today using Stella and I can barely get above 5,000. Either I'm getting too old or I need to play it on my real Atari 2600. The answer is probably both. When I was a teen, I was able to play for a lot longer before losing even one life. I suck at this game now.

• Like 1

I have ran this game on Stella, Mess 0.143 and EMU7800 and I have not seen any of those line either...maybe on a CRT monitor they would show up.

This ROM doesn't appear to use HMOVE blanking; not all games do. If you turn on 'fixed debug colors' in Stella with Alt-comma, you can see the various objects that make up the display. HMOVE lines are in white, and as you can see, there are only a few of them. This ROM seems to use the BALL to hide the left side of the screen (a sort of purple/blue color). Turning this off does indeed allow a cheat, so DON'T DO THAT!