IGNORED

Best sports title?

jc78_2005

Spent sometime tonight, with Touchdown football, Hat trick, and One on one,One on one being , in my opinion among the best 8 bit basketball titles Period.This is the first time i gave Football and Hat trick a chance honestly, and , i think they compare very well to games avalible at the time of their release! lots of play option on touchdown! Hat trick, while cut and dry is alot of fun for me! especially with 2 players! thoughts ? opinions? For me , its still One on One Basketball.

I think One on One is best sports title for the 7800. I own Hat Trick, Pole Position II, Touchdown football, Hat trick, Pete Rose Baseball, and Realsports baseball since the 1989-1990 time period.

Hat Trick to me always been lame. The only cool thing about Hat Trick to me always been the music the game has when the zamboni is moving.

Touchdown Football even when I first got it sucked to me. This is one poorly programed game. Touchdown football had a major problem with the game and no one can throw a pass past 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. The fact is no one can make a field goal in the game besides the amount of yards a QB can pass for a play.

Edited by 8th lutz

I have to say that without a doubt the best sports title for the 7800 is Ballblazer...especially when two players are involved.

As far as Touchdown Football...that game, to me, isn't worth the circuit board its built on..I bought that Game solely because it said Electronic Arts on it..and back then EA made mad computer games.

And because of TD football I never played any of the baseball titles..but I have read several reviews on them and viewed video reviews of the baseball titles and you can keep them as far as I am concerned.

Honestly the 7800 wasnot built for playing sports titles...not enough processing power to sufficiently run the programs. Ballblazer is the only exception to that statement...mainly because of its simplicity.

Ok I have ranted long enough.. LOL

I have to say that without a doubt the best sports title for the 7800 is Ballblazer...especially when two players are involved.

As far as Touchdown Football...that game, to me, isn't worth the circuit board its built on..I bought that Game solely because it said Electronic Arts on it..and back then EA made mad computer games.

And because of TD football I never played any of the baseball titles..but I have read several reviews on them and viewed video reviews of the baseball titles and you can keep them as far as I am concerned.

Honestly the 7800 wasnot built for playing sports titles...not enough processing power to sufficiently run the programs. Ballblazer is the only exception to that statement...mainly because of its simplicity.

Ok I have ranted long enough.. LOL

While the 7800 didn't have a good sports game library, you are underrating the power of the 7800. I am saying that because of Super Football for the Atari 2600. California Games also was a very good sports games for the 2600 also. Super Football for the Atari 2600 was an excellent football game for the Atari 2600. The 7800 is the better system from a technical spec standpoint compare to the 2600. The claim of the 7800 not enough processing power to sufficiently run the programs is false.

The 7800 had some poor programming for some its games and was not a hardware issue such as a Karateka. Touchdown Football was not a good programmed game. The fact is making field goal for Touchdown football can't happen despite making field goal attempts. Having a game that can't make field goals is a programming issue.

You have look at who the 7800 had for developing games and the programmers for that matter. While Hat Track is a bad game hockey, IBid Inc. was responsible for developing it for Atari Corp. IBid inc. is the same people that were responsible for Karateka and Choplifter.

The thing is also Atari cop. limited the size of Atari 7800 rom cartridges and the amount of ram that can be added to a 7800 game cartridge. The 7800 was capable of doing more thank 144k rom cartridges. There an empty cartridge shell that was found many years ago that was 512k. Touchdown Football was only a 64k game cartridge matter of fact. Summer and Winters originally was planned to be 256k rom game cartridges, but wasn't because Atari Corp according to Arthur Krewat. Arthur Krewat is a member of Atariage matter of fact.

I do own Ballblazer and is a great game. Had a lot of great 2 players game memories with that game.

Edited by 8th lutz

While the 7800 didn't have a good sports game library, you are underrating the power of the 7800. I am saying that because of Super Football for the Atari 2600. California Games also was a very good sports games for the 2600 also. Super Football for the Atari 2600 was an excellent football game for the Atari 2600. The 7800 is the better system from a technical spec standpoint compare to the 2600. The claim of the 7800 not enough processing power to sufficiently run the programs is false.

The 7800 had some poor programming for some its games and was not a hardware issue such as a Karateka. Touchdown Football was not a good programmed game. The fact is making field goal for Touchdown football can't happen despite making field goal attempts. Having a game that can't make field goals is a programming issue.

You have look at who the 7800 had for developing games and the programmers for that matter. While Hat Track is a bad game hockey, IBid Inc. was responsible for developing it for Atari Corp. IBid inc. is the same people that were responsible for Karateka and Choplifter.

The thing is also Atari cop. limited the size of Atari 7800 rom cartridges and the amount of ram that can be added to a 7800 game cartridge. The 7800 was capable of doing more thank 144k rom cartridges. There an empty cartridge shell that was found many years ago that was 512k. Touchdown Football was only a 64k game cartridge matter of fact. Summer and Winters originally was planned to be 256k rom game cartridges, but wasn't because Atari Corp according to Arthur Krewat. Arthur Krewat is a member of Atariage matter of fact.

I do own Ballblazer and is a great game. Had a lot of great 2 players game memories with that game.

I thought we were speaking on the current titles that are available...not what could have been. Maybe I was incorrect with my statement about the processing power of the 7800 but 1.79 MHz is 1.79 MHz and from a hardware standpoint that is all it is capable of. And even then when running a program the board is using part of that processor power to run its BIOS.

There was a reason that Atari placed restrictions on how much RAM could be placed on a cart because RAM was very expensive in those days..and when RAM was put on a cart they had to look at production cost...when you buy RAM for your PC or MAC or laptop or whatever you are purchasing that RAM once...when putting it on game carts..say like 500K copies...that turns into substantial cost that may or may not be recovered by way of consumer sales.

If a 7800 cart were to be made today..then yes one could put as much RAM on the cart as it could hold and then mass produce that cart for less that ATARI could in those days. But RAM itself does not run the game.. it take processor power as well.

TD Football may have been programmed bad but think about why there are only 6 man teams when in reality there are 11 man teams. raster graphics take more processing power than player missile graphics. Granted the MARIA chip handled the graphics of the 7800 but a computer is only as good as its CPU. You cannot get blood out of a rock.

Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE the 7800 and only wish that it would have been given a fair shake in the video game market of the time...but you can't unscramble eggs.

Edited by NIKON

IMO, the best sports titles on the 7800 all start with the letter W. Winter Games and Water Ski are my picks. There are several top notch sports titles, though. Ballblazer deserves a mention, as does One on One which is mad fun with two players. I recently picked up Summer Games but I haven't played it yet.

There are plenty of good 8bit sports titles. I'm sure the 7800 could have had them.

The reality is that the sports library is just kind of weak.

I can't think of any I like really. Summer Games and Winter Games I guess. I liked Basketbrawl too, but not a direct sports title. :-)

Edited by DracIsBack

I really like Winter games after some play time,agreed there isnt alot of offerings in the 7800 sports library, but so far what i have played has been enjoyable, even with there flaws. I am playing with a nes mod controller, maybe that is it? lol i even like fight night . clearly its no punchout. but compared to say. Rocky on the sms i think it holds its own. as a button masher.

Ooh - I hate FIGHT NIGHT. On the XE too.

Most do! lol I really havent played it on the xe i dont think? if i have it wasnt enough to make a call.I have an Xe on the way , so i will give it a shot im sure. How about mat mania? I like that one also, i do wish it would have had characters to select though.

Most do! lol I really havent played it on the xe i dont think? if i have it wasnt enough to make a call.I have an Xe on the way , so i will give it a shot im sure. How about mat mania? I like that one also, i do wish it would have had characters to select though.

If I remember right, it had more options but was soo slow. I found Mat Mania to be kind of boring. Title Match Pro Wrestling too. The wrestlers had day jobs in DOUBLE DRAGON as Abobos. :-)

Pete Rose Baseball is the better game from a graphic standpoint, but the game itself is worse than than Real Sports Baseball. The truth is Baseball is a mixed bag on the system.

Actually, Pete Rose is both better graphically and a better game. I practiced at Pete Rose enough to get good and always win. I practiced at Realsports enough to win, I think, once ever IIRC for the HSC. And that was difficult. In fact, I'd have to look back to remember if I won or only lost by one. I broke my controller. I remember that. Pete Rose's problem is gambling! Sorry. Its problem is that the game feels worse, because it is nearly a good game. It is so close, but with a really weird control scheme that makes it hard to judge who you control for fielding. Being so close to good, but then so very annoying, makes it feel like the worse of the two, as RSB is just terrible all around.

Wasted potential vs. no potential makes the wasted one feel worse.

I'll have to divide my opinion between then and now.

Back when I first got my 7800, I loved (in no particular order): Touchdown Football, One-on-One Basketball, Pete Rose Baseball, Ballblazer, Basketbrawl, Mean 18 Ultimate Golf, Hat Trick, Winter Games, & Summer Games.

My taste for a few of these has changed, but I still love most of them. Current favorites (in no particular order): One-on-One Basketball, Pete Rose Baseball (still the only baseball game I've ever liked), Ballblazer, Basketbrawl, Mean 18 Ultimate Golf, Hat Trick, Winter Games, and I've grown to love Ninja Golf.

I still consider RealSports Baseball to be rather unplayable, but I did almost enjoy a game recently. I don't believe I'll ever be able to beat the computer on that one and wonder if anyone ever has (Atarifever, if you end up remembering, you would be the 1st I've heard of).

I still consider RealSports Baseball to be rather unplayable, but I did almost enjoy a game recently. I don't believe I'll ever be able to beat the computer on that one and wonder if anyone ever has (Atarifever, if you end up remembering, you would be the 1st I've heard of).

RealSports should have been way better. 5200 one was great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu5314_IC9g

JC78 - how can you like Mat Mania? I own Mat Mania and Mania Challenge - the arcade games, in my house - and Atari's version is horrendous. You can't do any moves! Against the computer that is. And 2 player - all moves are reversed! It's terrible. The players always stand right back up, therefore making the top rope moves useless. And the 2 characters look identical. It's sad - I love wrestling games, and this failed miserably, as did Title Match, which is even worse. I always hoped one of the new programmers would put together a playable wrestling game for the 7800.

JC78 - how can you like Mat Mania? I own Mat Mania and Mania Challenge - the arcade games, in my house - and Atari's version is horrendous. You can't do any moves! Against the computer that is. And 2 player - all moves are reversed! It's terrible. The players always stand right back up, therefore making the top rope moves useless. And the 2 characters look identical. It's sad - I love wrestling games, and this failed miserably, as did Title Match, which is even worse. I always hoped one of the new programmers would put together a playable wrestling game for the 7800.

Ahh i dont know, i just do,As with all home conversions i try not to compare them to the arcade versions,as clearly there is no comparison. im fine with the controls of it, It would have been nice for more characters sure.. but its still fun for me.